Evening attire

Birky100

:)Please can anyone tell me roughly the split between people wearing dinner suits and long evening dresses verses more casual attire on the celebrity reflection ship? We have always dressed formally but are worried we may be out of place when we cruise next month. Thank you in advance

Wear what you are comfortable with. For most of our cruises we have to fly to the cruise port, not taking extra suitcases for long formal gown (being 5'10" requires a lot of fabric) but DH wears a nice suit and I would wear cocktail dresses or dress pants with nice fancy tops. Celebrity has revamped the formal night to Chic night a few years ago and you will still see the gentlemen in tuxedos and some ladies in gorgeous gowns.

My normal day wear when not cruising is scrub top and pants, so I like dressing up for dinner in the evening

a8171d3c7da5b64b3336b6ea3c04c284.jpg74c2a6dc0fd98da589fa74edb9925843.jpg

Ok, may not be my best pictures, but I think you get the general idea?

Have an amazing cruise,

Sue Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The mass market lines and super deluxe lines have pretty much gone completely business casual- jackets and slacks but nothing beyond that. There are some lines with a tradition of dressing up (like Cunard) that get a higher percentage of people that go formal (let's face it, a tux is way more palatable in the middle of the Atlantic than it is in the middle of the Caribbean).

But with Celebrity, for the most part, you'd be a bit out of place in black tie or a suit. Sport coat and slacks will be the majority with a sprinkling of people without jackets and a handful of them testing the limits on the casual side. Colder itineraries will trend a little more formal, warm ones will be much more casual.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The mass market lines and super deluxe lines have pretty much gone completely business casual- jackets and slacks but nothing beyond that. There are some lines with a tradition of dressing up (like Cunard) that get a higher percentage of people that go formal (let's face it, a tux is way more palatable in the middle of the Atlantic than it is in the middle of the Caribbean).

But with Celebrity, for the most part, you'd be a bit out of place in black tie or a suit. Sport coat and slacks will be the majority with a sprinkling of people without jackets and a handful of them testing the limits on the casual side. Colder itineraries will trend a little more formal, warm ones will be much more casual.

Not my experience. all of the guys at our table (8) wore Dinner Suits on Chic Nights {14 nights in Caribbean} The rest of our 'group' (another 8 ) the same.

Didn't take that much notice of others - not really bothered what strangers wear .

Before anyone starts a rant about us Brits living in the past may I point out that our group was multi-national including guys from Deutschland and Canadia

The last few cruises on Celebrity we did not dress formally on any night. Found that we were in the majority. My DH was thrilled when Celebrity went chic. There were some men in suits/tuxes. Did not see a lot of women in long dresses but many in cocktail dress. These were 2 week cruises in Europe.

On our 14 day cruise on the euinox, not many men wore a jacket of any kind. Most, like myself wore slacks and a shirt to dinner, and we were not out of place. I quit wearing a tux long, long ago, and dropped the suit and tie long ago.:)

The last few cruises on Celebrity we did not dress formally on any night. Found that we were in the majority. My DH was thrilled when Celebrity went chic. There were some men in suits/tuxes. Did not see a lot of women in long dresses but many in cocktail dress. These were 2 week cruises in Europe.
That is how it was on my January Reflection cruise. Probably even up between cocktail attire and everyday dressing during evening chic nights.

We dress for dinner....BUT, I dress for my husband and he dresses for me. :hearteyes: We are not going to Applebee's for a cheeseburger, we are going to dinner. That's just us. I do not care what anyone else wears.

You have absolutely the right attitude! That is the beauty of the new dress code. Everyone should feel comfortable. You obviously do, as do we since we ditched the formal dress many moons ago.

ON "formal night" you can't be "over-dressed"..the others may be "under-dressed", but that's ok!

Only problem is there aren't any "formal nights", on our most recent Caribbean cruise there weren't any more than 50 men in tuxes.

Really, quit calling it "formal night" in quotes or not.

It doesn't exist.

Quit saying people will be "under-dressed" because they are not in formal wear.

They won't be.

Too much unnecessary consternation for those who have never cruised the line and don't know the standards.

Let them do as the cruise line suggests and enjoy themselves.

Before anyone starts a rant about us Brits living in the past may I point out that our group was multi-national including guys from Deutschland and Canadia

May I rant about your inability to properly name a well known Commonwealth country? :cool:

What I saw in my last cruise:

Normal nights: Business Casual for people working in Tech/Engineering/Office

Chic nights: Business Casual for people working in Banking/Real Estate/Laws

A few men wore Tux.. but I think I could count them in 2 hands. This was a Caribbean cruise so it was probably more casual.

Just off the Reflection 10 night Med. Cruise.

We ate in the MDR; we saw very few tuxes, suits and long gowns, and some sports coats and fancy cocktail dresses. Many women wore lacy tops and pants, with nice accessories, but there were just as many in simple outfits that were no different than every other night. As far as the men, some wore ties, but many more with just button down shirts.

I agree with those who say, wear whatever makes you comfortable. If that means going all out and drressing up - by all means do so.

Hubby wears ivory jacket, black pants and Caribbean style no tuck shirt with no tie. Very sexy look. I have satiny tea length fit and flare type cocktail dresses. This for 10-11 day Caribbean cruises. May do tux and glam dress for next year's 14 day Eclipse but just for our own pure enjoyment. [emoji7]

Absolutely THRILLED with "chic" night replacing "formal." Collared shirt and slacks for the men and slacks with a nice top for the women, and I won't feel the least bit "under dressed. I've never felt the need to be snarky about how others dress to feel my dinner experience was special.

I chose to wear simple evening gowns for both chic nights and loved it. I do not have many chances to dress up at home so this was my chance. There were a few others but not many. It did not bother me one bit. So do what what makes you comfortable and happy!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app