Equinox solarium questions

IrishDMBF

I am sitting here baking in the Florida sun today thinking about and looking forward to my trip on the equinox in a couple of weeks. I have a couple of questions. I know all about chair hogs by the pool but wondering about in the solarium? It is a lot more appealing to me right now.

My other question involves drink service in the solarium. Is it ok? I know there is the aqua spa cafe but what about alcoholic beverages?

Drink service was very limited in the Solarium. VERY limited. There are fewer chair hogs as the hogs cannot work on their tans in the Solarium. Never had a problem getting a chair there. Different story by the pool.

On Equinox right now. Sadly, lots of chair hogs on sea days. We usually go to the Solarium on port days if not going ashore & sit on our balcony on sea days. No problems with bar service in the Solarium & bars are close by if you don't want to wait for a server.

We have definitely experienced chair hogs in the solarium,..rows if loungers with towels, etc...not all of them are in the pool, getting a snack or in the restrooms,,. Others are used as a day room,,,for daytime sleepers and snorers,

Also card/ game players clogging up the AQ spa tables for the day,,,

We usually get out early and enjoy AQ lite breakfst..,and the refreshing pool. When it gets too crowded or noisy from the din..we move on and let others take our spots,

No bar service but nearby bar is ok for mimosas and bloody marys

Chair hogs are everywhere. If a lounger has "stuff" on it...ask the neighbors if anyone is sitting there. They will tell you they're in the pool or not. If not, move the stuff and have a seat. Give the "stuff" to the pool attendant...tell them someone must have forgotten their "stuff"...and sit.

Ok, glad I asked! The reason why I asked is we have a time share in Aruba. The rule where we stay is there is a two hour limit for not being in a lounger. So what we usually do, is put our stuff down at 7:00, hour walk, breakfast, change and go. I will say that the there is security all the time around the pool, and they have no issues taking your stuff if you've gone over the time limit.

No worries though, we can adjust our schedule for sure. So I guess the next question is how late can we go down and still get a lounger? Strictly for the Solarium.

Seeing a towel on a lounger doesn't always mean that someone is reserving it because the staff will place towels on the loungers as a "convenience" for the guests.

Most times if you see a book from the library on a chair it is an indication that someone is hogging the chair because that book has no value to them and they are just using it for that purpose.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Seeing a towel on a lounger doesn't always mean that someone is reserving it because the staff will place towels on the loungers as a "convenience" for the guests.

Most times if you see a book from the library on a chair it is an indication that someone is hogging the chair because that book has no value to them and they are just using it for that purpose.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

When we are on celebrity in the Med it's 20 minutes and pool attendant moves your things. I would go to the bar for a drink, get talking and have to ask for my things back from safe-keeping.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Well, how would you define a chair hog. For example, if I put my stuff down at 7:00 and am there by 9:00, is that bad etiquette?

Yes, you are a Chair Hog. Why would you leave your stuff there for 2 hours? If there are plenty of chairs, keep your stuff with you since you can easily get a chair when you return. If chairs are limited, then you are preventing others from enjoying those chairs.

I don't consider myself a chair hog...that's why I asked the question. In Aruba, we follow the rules. Granted, there is a heck of a lot more room.

So what exactly are the rules? They can't simply be if you leave the area, you lose your chair, right? What happens if you just want to get a burger and come back? Get a drink? Go to the bathroom? I'm not trying to be a pain here, just want to make sure we do the right thing.

I don't consider myself a chair hog...that's why I asked the question. In Aruba, we follow the rules. Granted, there is a heck of a lot more room.

So what exactly are the rules? They can't simply be if you leave the area, you lose your chair, right? What happens if you just want to get a burger and come back? Get a drink? Go to the bathroom? I'm not trying to be a pain here, just want to make sure we do the right thing.

30 minutes seems to be the time limit set by Celebrity, although not often enforced. This seems more than reasonable to got to the bathroom or get a drink. The OP indicated that they left items on the chairs for 2 hours. This definitely qualifies as a Chair Hog.

Lol!

So folks, just for clarification, when we are in Aruba, if you don't get to the pool by 7:30, you are out of luck, unless you want a lounger without a speck of shade. So I'd say the vast majority do what we do. As I said, get the chair at 7:00, walk all the frozen drinks off from the night before for an hour. Back in the room at 8:00. Coffee, bagels, change into swimsuits, down to the chair. Our only cruise was to Alaska (which was awesome by the way) and we never went to the pool(s), so that's really why I was wondering.

We can definitely make this work. Thanks for the feedback!

A non chair hogs gets the seat early, enjoys the solarium pool area , gets a coffee/ tea and lite breakfast from AQ cafe..if not using the facility or in the vicinty.. saving that lounger is a chair hog..

..same applies to outdoor pool area...

we have experienced same rules at AIC resorts as well...unless in a suite reserved lounger..

Well, how would you define a chair hog. For example, if I put my stuff down at 7:00 and am there by 9:00, is that bad etiquette?

Cathy, I commend your bravery in asking this honest question. I hope that people will avoid name-calling here, and recognize that sometimes people want to follow the rules but don't know what the rules are, or don't know that there are any rules regarding their behaviour. Reading this thread, I am learning for the first time that some people may object to others for taking a nap in a lounger in the solarium or pool area. I had not even considered that there was anything wrong with that; don't know what to think now. :(

A quick trip to the restroom? Meet your neighbors and tell them you'll be right back. Going into the Oceanview to lunch? Take your stuff with you,

Can't agree with you on this one. If you're going to get lunch 30 minutes is a reasonable amount of time to grab a bite or bring back food and get back. You are supposed to be on vacation.

In my experience on a sea day if you're not in the Solarium by 10:30 - 11:00 you'll be waiting for awhile. It starts to clear out around 3 - 3:30 as people start to think about getting ready for dinner.

I for one don't understand the necessity to sit around the pool to sun yourself. There are plenty of loungers on the deck above the pool. There are also loungers on the very top of the ship forward on S-class ships where people tend to think that climbing stairs to get there is too much effort. Just my thoughts.

Enjoy your cruising days.

Cathy, I commend your bravery in asking this honest question. I hope that people will avoid name-calling here, and recognize that sometimes people want to follow the rules but don't know what the rules are, or don't know that there are any rules regarding their behaviour. Reading this thread, I am learning for the first time that some people may object to others for taking a nap in a lounger in the solarium or pool area. I had not even considered that there was anything wrong with that; don't know what to think now. :(

Nothing wrong with napping.. we all take them at times...but on more than one recent cruise, there were rows of nappers loudly snoring away ...felt more like a rest home than a cruise ship....guess they were out late the night before.