Bombing in Istanbul airport

Minoushka

Just heard the news -- so sad.

We had a cruise that began in Istanbul many years ago -- Grand Princess in 1998.

We went over 4 days early and loved staying at the old prison -- Four Seasons Hotel. Did a lot of walking around on our own in the old part and took hotel tours elsewhere.

Yesterday we booked a 12 night Western Med cruise on Oosterdam for this spring. So upsetting to hear about these tragedies in Europe, but we will not cancel our cruise. We won't let them frighten us away from living our lives. However, Turkey should be cancelled by all of the cruise lines as it is obviously not safe to travel there any longer.

The cruise on Koenigsdam that I have on hold was originally scheduled to go to Turkey, if it does we will remain on board if it doesn't so much the better.

Much better to have a new port to visit than to stay onboard. I'm sure that HAL will now reschedule their itinerary.

just heardFAA put aground stop on all flights b etween U.S. and Isastanbul No one isgoing to fly there or home to U.S.ffrom there right now.

Edited by sail7seas

It is a terrible thing, just terrible. I'm supposed to to to Istanbul on the Grand Med next year, suspect they may alter that. Wondering about other Turkish ports like Kusadasi, if they'll be rescheduled. We'll see, I suppose. Awful. And the pace seems to be picking up. Nothing to be gained by sitting at home though.

Edited by Wehwalt

Agreed this bombing is getting worse and worse as death counts rises andmany many wounded ...3 explosions ...Poor Turkey ...this will finish all tourism ....i feel bad for our guides who were already in dire streits beforw this with tourismdown 90%..,now it will be no tourists for quite some time ....wow ...poor guys

I.m sure Celebrity...Holland America andothers who are stillplanning Turkish stops will cancel all .....sad sad sad .. Really liked Turkey ..sad Sad. Bsad day

Hopefully this govt will get their country backfromthese terroristinvaders

Hope all wounded heal quickly ....condolences ..to families who lost members ..oy ...oy ...oy

yes horrible but hopefully will not destroy tourism to istanbul....orlando could have been disney but i suspect millions will still go there every year....and to paris and many many other cities that have been hit....

i will still go to istanbul as i refuse to let these people destroy tourism.....

I have seen posts on CC after prior terrorist acts in Turkey saying that people should still go, because the chances of being impacted by a terrorist attack is 1 in 10 million, or some other very slim odds. They say that you have greater odds of being injured in a tornado. All of these odds are true. But if you see a tornado, and drive right up to it, your chances of getting injured are much greater. Same with terrorism, if you place yourself in close proximity to areas where terrorism is rampant, obviously the odds are much worse.

Another point to consider, many travel insurance companies do not cover acts of war, uprisings, acts of terror, etc.

Been fortunate to visit Istanbul 3 times and loved it. We enjoy the country of Turkey. Such senseless tragedy.

Me too. The people were great, the food is excellent, and I have a beautiful silver bowl I treasure.

I have seen posts on CC after prior terrorist acts in Turkey saying that people should still go, because the chances of being impacted by a terrorist attack is 1 in 10 million, or some other very slim odds. They say that you have greater odds of being injured in a tornado. All of these odds are true. But if you see a tornado, and drive right up to it, your chances of getting injured are much greater. Same with terrorism, if you place yourself in close proximity to areas where terrorism is rampant, obviously the odds are much worse.

Another point to consider, many travel insurance companies do not cover acts of war, uprisings, acts of terror, etc.

I'm not sure that there is any easy way to approach the problem of deciding whether or not to visit a country or city based on past terrorist activity. Do the almost 10 million tourists visiting Orlando annually now boycott the city? Or the 55 million visitors to New York City? Or the millions of visitors to any of the many other targets of terrorism internationally? Is there a statistically greater chance of another bombing in Istanbul or one in Fort Lauderdale? If I'm planning a cruise, which should I avoid?

Edited by Fouremco

Currently, one is unable to book ( saying: sold out, but yeaterday there were still plenty of cabins) the Eurodam sailing of 17/07/16 with an overnight scheduled in IST.

This might mean that HAL is already contemplating alternatives.

as my family and I are booked on this sailing, I will keep a close look at these developments.

Istanbul is such a magical city. She and her People do not deserve this.

Despegue

Ps. A previous poster already blamed foreigners for these attacks ( "terrorist invaders"). Please be reminded that by far most terrorism is Homegrown, also in the USA and Europe.

So sad ...people hurt ...not goodnews

I liked Istanbul ....very unortunate for those people ...thoughts with the injured ....

I doubt any cruise line will go back there ..after this

That's it for Turkey, no more Istanbul, Kusadasi etc. It's getting way to close...

I'm not sure that there is any easy way to approach the problem of deciding whether or not to visit a country or city based on past terrorist activity. Do the almost 10 million tourists visiting Orlando annually now boycott the city? Or the 55 million visitors to New York City? Or the millions of visitors to any of the many other targets of terrorism internationally? Is there a statistically greater chance of another bombing in Istanbul or one in Fort Lauderdale? If I'm planning a cruise, which should I avoid?

I know. I know. And I refuse to allow it to affect my plans. I fly to Berlin tomorrow pre-cruise and join the Oosterdam in Barcelona on the 11th. There is one call in Turkey. I do not know if it will happen. If it does, I will go ashore as usual.

But Tunis proved we are a target.

Edited by Wehwalt