False advertising/pricing?!

teamflames

You can have a hamburger with free lettuce and tomato for $1 -- only the bill is $2 - you can get the discounted hamburger for a $1 -- just like we said, only no lettuce and tomato. But, the $2 hamburger has free lettuce and tomato.

See you on my next Princess Cruise!

That's what leads to the confusion. Nothing is "free". It's more appropriate to say "included". IOW:

You can get the hamburger for $1. Or, you can get the hamburger with lettuce and tomato included for $2.

Cruise lines and anyone, actually, that sells to the public like to use the term "free". Nothing sells a product like telling the customer that they're getting something for "free". Anytime, you see an advertisement for something for "free", be wary.

I like the hamburger analogy...helps to put pricing in perspective. I looked at that exact booking and price but at the end of booking it had increased. And in Canadian $$s it was substantial.

It's a great analogy. I'll have to remember it on my next cruise whenever a fellow guest attempts to explain the amazing deal he/she got.

It's a great analogy. I'll have to remember it on my next cruise whenever a fellow guest attempts to explain the amazing deal he/she got.

You're wasting your breath. I had someone tell me that a drink package was "free" because it wasn't listed on their cruise invoice, so they didn't have to pay for it, it was "free". To many don't grasp the difference between "free" and "included".

Hi -- When you see this on the Celebrity web page,what would you think?

pricing.jpg

cabinprice.JPG

then the total --

pricing.JPG

I was able to get an agent at Celebrity to explain this to me. The two items in the image directly above here had nothing to do with each other. I had foolishly assumed that they were part of the same offer. Two free perks were ONE thing, or the starting price was something completely different. The same with the top picture.

The banner and the price directly below it were not related -- go figure! The super-low California resident rate was at the bottom, and the free perks were just a different idea.

You can have a hamburger with free lettuce and tomato for $1 -- only the bill is $2 - you can get the discounted hamburger for a $1 -- just like we said, only no lettuce and tomato. But, the $2 hamburger has free lettuce and tomato.

See you on my next Princess Cruise!

This is what I was referring to in another thread when I said it offered me two free perks and then charged me $650 for them.

I just booked with my agent. I found a decent price on the website but every time i got to the "free extras" they wanted to charge me $740 for 2 people. I did get a resident rate so I understand that the "free" extras cost something but I was booking for one person in the cabin. I could never get it understand one person. I tried a few times hence calling my TA. I made a few remarks to the TA about how hard the new celebrity website was to navigate and she agreed.

Off topic slightly - there is nowhere i can find on the website what a partially obstructed view is? I booked a guarantee and took a chance. I got a 2C. They don't make it easy to find anything out. Celebrity needs to work on their website.

You're wasting your breath. I had someone tell me that a drink package was "free" because it wasn't listed on their cruise invoice, so they didn't have to pay for it, it was "free". To many don't grasp the difference between "free" and "included".

I get the difference, I just don't see what difference it makes. Why is it so important to you that people use those words the way you want them to?

I get the difference, I just don't see what difference it makes. Why is it so important to you that people use those words the way you want them to?

Simply because sales persons use the word "free" to manipulate people. Nothing is "free". It maybe "included" but it is never "free". Those with marketing experience will tell you that nothing sells better than telling someone they are getting something for "free". Just look at all the 'sales' cruise line hold. They add perks, increase the price to cover the perks, and tell someone they're getting something for "free".

It took a while to figuire out what Celebrity is doing. Causing confusion with a horrible website. I agree with everyone who says perks are not free they charge you if you want them. $200 to $400 depending on what you get.

I still think its better than paying out right for the beverage packages.

Its kind of confusing if you dont know thier system.

I just booked with my agent. I found a decent price on the website but every time i got to the "free extras" they wanted to charge me $740 for 2 people. I did get a resident rate so I understand that the "free" extras cost something but I was booking for one person in the cabin. I could never get it understand one person. I tried a few times hence calling my TA. I made a few remarks to the TA about how hard the new celebrity website was to navigate and she agreed.

Off topic slightly - there is nowhere i can find on the website what a partially obstructed view is? I booked a guarantee and took a chance. I got a 2C. They don't make it easy to find anything out. Celebrity needs to work on their website.

"Partially obstructed view" is a broad term that covers many forms of partial obstruction; unfortunately cruise lines, including Celebrity, are hardly ever explicit about the obstruction - could be a downward-view obstruction due to a life boat that is below the floor-level of your balcony or even just below the railing of your balcony; or it an outward-view obstruction due to washing equipment or even the wide columns at the edge of the balconies on some of the forward sweet-sixteen cabins on M-class. The best you can do to find out the details is to use the cabin specific sticky threads on Cruise Critic and/or info on some of the deck plan websites. Thus the lack of details has little to do with C's poor website.

Simply because sales persons use the word "free" to manipulate people. Nothing is "free". It maybe "included" but it is never "free". Those with marketing experience will tell you that nothing sells better than telling someone they are getting something for "free". Just look at all the 'sales' cruise line hold. They add perks, increase the price to cover the perks, and tell someone they're getting something for "free".

Thanks for trying to protect all those stupid people out there -- which must mean everybody but you. I can read between the lines and make my own decisions. When I book a cruise at one price with certain amenities, then rebook with more amenities and no price increase: the amenities that are added without my price changing are "free" to me -- whether you admit it or not.

I started this thread and just want to point out my issue was never with the term “free” or “included”. Simply that I was happy with the price and had an option to “upgrade” at zero dollars but the upgraded price was suddenly a brand new price. How is that upgrading at zero? The website even had the gall to change the “original” price I had selected to make the deal appear better.

I completely understand that inclusions will alter the price but that is not what was occurring in this circumstance. Although I enjoy Celebrity I have found them to be substantially more expensive than when we sailed with them 3 times late in 2016 and have booked 6 cruises elsewhere for the next 12 months, hopefully we enjoy them as much (just completed a Hal and it was terrific).

I should have as one of the other posters did taken screen shots and called in the circumstances, will know for next time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another interesting thing we noticed is that the extra taxes and fees are different when pricing the exact same cruise, cabin and offer with a TA (higher) than with X?

——-

We noticed the same thing. Our travel agent explained it to us that the reason for the different pricing from Celebrity on the two categories ( cabin + taxes/port fees) is to distinguish her commissionable amount, which is the lower price on the cabin rate.

As long as the total price is the same as Celebrity, I wasn’t worried about it.

However, the cynic in me is now thinking: wonder if this is a tactic to make it harder to compare price drops?

If you think you are getting a certain rate on the cabin, which in fact is lower than what you are really paying because part of that cabin rate is indeed added to the taxes/port fees category, then will you know if the current advertised rate from X is lower?

Example: your travel agent invoice shows $699 for cabin per person. But if you take the total price for two, divide by 2, subtract the actual Celebrity taxes/fees, the per person cabin rate is actually $930. Now you have the real number to know if the current rates are lower than what you paid.

As a consumer, you have to do the math and keep track of it! And, always do a dummy booking to the point of the total price including taxes/fees/perks to compare the total cost on your invoice. (I noticed recently that the taxes/fees went up on a cruise I have booked. ) As well as take those screen shots and advocate for yourself!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

h - I agree with you on this point. For some of us it is a Perk, for some of us it is Free, for some of us it is Included etc... for all of us who purchase any sailing on any line have to believe and think there is value regardless of how it is presented, included or purchased (value added items). The cruise line asses its' value and we as purchasers of travel have to decide if it is truly of value at the price offered. The best way to register displeasure with pricing is to not purchase... IMO

If it is not considered to be of value to the purchaser, then we will not purchase it regardless of what it is referred to by someone else. After a few sailings, one can usually figure out, if they choose to work that hard, to game X's or any other cruise lines system for the 'best/cheapest' deal.

Do I want the best/cheapest deal? Of course, yet I will not and see no value to complain about not getting it when I accepted the deal which was provided to me at the time I chose to book and was happy for the sailing we select. Do I want better? Of course and it is my TA's, or needs to be, job to insure that I do... I monitor from time to time as well, but not obsessively, to be sure, as I save my obsession for when I board with family and friends seeking out another great vacation... by that time everything is paid for and it is all about fun!

bon voyage

There is a simple rule that avoids all of these issue, far beyond the narrow world of cruise marketing:

NEVER read the words.

ALWAYS do the numbers.

Bingo, especially if the numbers make sense to and for you!

bon voyage

There is a simple rule that avoids all of these issue, far beyond the narrow world of cruise marketing:

NEVER read the words.

ALWAYS do the numbers.

Yes...ultimately you get to the final price. It's at that point that you have to agree or disagree with it.

Particular to Celebrity, you sometimes don't see the lower price until you get to the final summary screen.

I think people get confused when they see the different banners that advertise the current promo and also say free. The rate says STARTING FROM which is the key. They always advertise the discounted, bare bones rate that goes up from there depending on which cabin your choose and if you choose any of the perks. Also, taxes and port fees are always calculated on the last page of the booking too.

There are times, when the banners are legit, that your cruise fare is coming with the promo and perks since there isn't a discounted rate for that sailing yet.

It seems deceptive and misleading which it is but it's marketing. It's all in the little word that says "starting from". That's where they get you and from a legaltiy standpoint, Celebrity isn't doing anything wrong.

I understand the "starting from " concept but if they can't show me a cabin at that "starting from " price I think they are being dishonest.

I understand the "starting from " concept but if they can't show me a cabin at that "starting from " price I think they are being dishonest.

Exactly! Or when they state your new price is lower than the “original” price which is in fact higher than the “starting” price you were trying to obtain.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They are being dishonest if there are cabins left at that 'starting from' price. They do disclose that there is limited availability of those cabins, i.e. first come first served.

bon voyage

They are being dishonest if there are cabins left at that 'starting from' price. They do disclose that there is limited availability of those cabins, i.e. first come first served.

bon voyage

If they are advertising a price and then say "Oops sorry none left at that price, would you like this one for $650 more? " that is the definition of bait and switch. If there are no cabins available at that price they need to take that offer off their website.

If they are advertising a price and then say "Oops sorry none left at that price, would you like this one for $650 more? " that is the definition of bait and switch. If there are no cabins available at that price they need to take that offer off their website.

What if there is one cabin left at that price and someone puts a hold on it or books it while you're clicking buttons? I'm watching prices on a cruise that is past the final payment date, and the lowest price shows exactly one cabin at that price both on the cruiseline's website as well as on several TA websites. This is not even a Celebrity cruise, btw. The same company usually shows the lowest price as being only for a guarantee, which I often see on Celebrity as well.