Post modern jukebox (new entertainment currently being tested on eurodam)

jenp123

I was on the eurodam a few weeks ago and they were doing a 6 week test of a new music group. They performed in the ocean bar.

They do current well known music but in a 20's-50's jazz type style. The original group that this is based on has many you tube videos available.

I really enjoyed them. It seemed like a good way to blend some more modern music with a style that a more widespread audience would appreciate. Everyone (including staff) seemed to really like them and I was told if it goes well they would roll it out to other ships. The bar was hopping much later than I usually see people out on HAL

Has anyone heard anything about HAL adding them on other ships? My question is.....would this be replacing any of the current entertainment on the music walk or in addition to what they have. Ships with the big open ocean bar have the stage for it but I can't figure out where it would go on the koningsdam

We board Eurodam on 10/17 in Vancouver, it will be interesting to see if they are still there or will the experiment last until we arrive in Ft. Lauderdale.

There have been so many changes in music on HAL recently, it is difficult to keep up. One of the things that I miss is live music on the bandstand at the Lido Pool during the day. Sometimes it was The HAL Cats and other times different musicians. I have not seen that in the past two years. The Neptunes became The Ocean Bar Trio on a couple of ships, I don't really know where that is going, there are still many people who like the ballroom type dancing. B.B.King's is just too loud for me; I tried it once and had to take out my hearing aids.

Jim

We will be on the Eurodam in Dec. and would love to have some dance music in the Ocean Bar. In May/June we were on the Amsterdam and truly enjoyed the Ocean Trio music. That group told us they were sure that they would be eliminated as the various ships were going to only a piano player. We had already been through this on the Oosterdam in March and on the Koningsdam in 2016. There are a lot of HAL faithful who would like to see a return to the dance music venue in the Ocean Bar. We occasionally enjoy BB King after dinner, but the cocktail hour prior to MDR late dining has little to offer.:(

On our recent Prisendam cruise they had a quartet that were really good. The piano player also had a fantastic voice. We were also told the quartet was a test group.

Folks were dancing in the Ocean Bar where they performed nightly.

It was a refreshing entertainment change.

And example of Postmodern Jukebox: Beyonce's "Sinlge Ladies":

Thanks for posting this.

Not a Beyonce fan. Are the "dancers" part of the new Postmodern Jukebox on the Eurodam?

I'll reserve judgement until I experience this entertainment for myself. If I do.

There were no dancers included in the actual show they were pretty much just like a band performing. Of all my HAL cruises in the past 5 years it is a most I've seen people participate and dance to music on the ship in any venue.

I think marketing wise it's a very smart way to potentially include many generations of Cruisers there was quite a few songs that my parents didn't recognize and liked but were number one hits in the past 6 months. You get the newer stuff for younger people to enjoy and stuff they recognize and people who don't enjoy that music normally or older people seem to enjoy this style and don't recognize that they may be listening to a song Done by Britney Spears or Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga

We just saw PMJ live here in CLE and I turned to my husband and said, "Gosh, wouldn't they be perfect for cruise entertainment?" LOL

Glad to hear that HAL is trying them out because we thoroughly enjoyed their show. They're so versatile and talented.

Sure hope they find their way to the Veendam for our Dec. cruise.............

For the most part, I really enjoy PostModern Jukebox (PMJ). A fellow by the name of Scott Bradlee is the "founder" of PMJ, does most (if not all) arrangements, and plays piano is most (if not all) PMJ videos. Many of the performers may have been seen on American Idol, or one of the other vocal competitions. Most definitely worth a listen. Too, you could cruise on over (yeah, pun intended, and I'm sorry) to their channel on YouTube to get an idea of what they have to offer. A couple of my favorites are "All About That Bass" (there are several versions) and "Stacy's Mom". Prepare to have the tunes running through your head for the rest of the day.

We recently got off the Zuiderdam. They had a group of 4 playing/singing in the ocean bar. They played from 6 - 9 and were fabulous! They took requests, guests enjoyed dancing, the music mix was wide and varied - It was packed every night! It was a great mid-early evening option for everyone pre & post dinner. Since the new dueling Billboard piano bar players can't (or won't) take requests, this was a wonderful new offering. The band did tell us that HAL was experimenting with their offering - looking forward to seeing HAL make it permanent!

We recently got off the Zuiderdam. They had a group of 4 playing/singing in the ocean bar. They played from 6 - 9 and were fabulous!

9:00 PM. HAL is shutting down an entertainment venue at 9:00 PM. :eek:

They're practically telling us they don't want us out late at night, and they want us to just go to bed.

Ridiculous.

Since the new dueling Billboard piano bar players can't (or won't) take requests

Just off of the Oosterdam, and the Billboard Onboard performers were taking and playing requests (even during the non-All Request sets!). The same was true last year on the Koningsdam!

Mark

9:00 PM. HAL is shutting down an entertainment venue at 9:00 PM. :eek:

They're practically telling us they don't want us out late at night, and they want us to just go to bed.

Ridiculous.

A little dramatic Maybe? Just because one venue closes doesn't mean there are numerous other venues with multiple types of entertainment they can't all be open every single moment of every single night

they can't all be open every single moment of every single night

Of course they can; they did so successfully for many years until things started getting earlier and earlier for closings. There was a time all the lounges had something, of a different style, in every lounge until at least midnight. There was plenty to keep everyone out at night, and people did stay out.

Now, the classical music venue closes down early, the Ocean Bar, and on many ships the Crow's Nest has nothing.

If you aren't seeing a trend of less and less in the later evening, you may not be aware of what used to be offered.

If you aren't seeing a trend of less and less in the later evening, you may not be aware of what used to be offered.

... and is still being offered on many other cruise lines :confused: Of course, all venues can be open at the same time. "If you build it, they will come".

On our 21-day Oosterdam cruise last spring, on the last night of the cruise, both Billboard Onboard and BB King AllStars venues were dark. When I met the Cruise Director in the hallway and asked him about that, he replied that he was not in charge of that ??? I wonder who is ???