Nieuw Statendam Now In Double Digits

1ANGELCAT

I though the bad guy finally got out of prison, staged a coup and was now charging HAL ships double-digits more to go through the Panama Canal. ;)

He did get out of prison briefly for a hospital a few months ago. Now 6feet under.

Roy

I never noticed the pronounced tail on the Pinnacle class until I saw these pictures. What function does that serve?

The "duck tail" enhances the stability of the ship by increasing the surface contact of the vessel and it also helps with less fuel consumption. When the ship speeds up, the stern "sinks in", known as "squat". The duck tail allows the stern to “sit” on the water instead of having it sink in. Kinda in a similar way a spoiler functions on race cars.

The "duck tail" enhances the stability of the ship by increasing the surface contact of the vessel and it also helps with less fuel consumption. When the ship speeds up, the stern "sinks in", known as "squat". The duck tail allows the stern to “sit” on the water instead of having it sink in. Kinda in a similar way a spoiler functions on race cars.
Thanks for the clear explanation! And is the 'dirty' looking exterior just construction dust, or will it be repainted before its premiere voyage?

I understand why cruise ship designers/engineers are putting the duck tail on the stern. But, such does nothing to enhance the attractiveness of the ship's exterior.

True that however, in today's world, performance and cost savings $$$ trumps aesthetics :cool: