Free at sea 5 offers are "Never Ending" ?

takeadip

Hi Fellow Critics..

Is it me ...or are the Free at sea pick up to 5 offers always being extended??? I feel like they (NCL) have had this promo for eternity...not that I'm complaining...i was just curious as to what they can possibly follow this up with??? I mean...how much better can it get??

I booked a Family Suite on the Dawn with (5) Haven privileges as well as free govt taxes...did I get the best deal???

I find it kind of crazy when cruiselines give such a great offer that their Marketing/promo department must be scratching their heads like...well... how can we follow this promo up and get passengers excited??

Best,

Mark

They do seem to play around with it a bit. It is stronger for slower times and they back off on the busier times. But I'm not sure they can really end it. I would say at this point, most people expect something of this nature from NCL.

It would probably be like when JCPenny's decided they weren't going to do sales anymore and go to everyday pricing. The CEO was gone inside a year.

I have seen a number of cruises that don't offer it -- we were planning an Alaskan cruise next summer and opted for the Jewel, with Free at Sea, over the Bliss, which didn't have Free at Sea. Not surprising, given that the Bliss is new, better and more popular, but it made our decision for us.

What I like is the rare instance (Black Friday last year was one time) where everyone gets all five of the Free at Sea choices, not just two in a balcony. That's worth waiting for.

Given the seeming never-ending nature of Free at Sea, I'm reminded of the class action suits against the maker of My Pillow for similar marketing tactics:

"Two false advertising class-action lawsuits were filed against MyPillow alleging that the company’s “buy one get one free” (BOGO) and 50% off promotions are deceptive. Specifically, the complaints allege that the company claims to include a 'free' pillow with the purchase of a pillow when, in reality, the regular price of one pillow is inflated resulting in consumers getting two pillows at or near the price of two pillows. In addition, the complaints allege MyPillow offers 50% off the regular price of pillows when, in reality, the regular price of the pillow is inflated to approximately twice the regular price and therefore the discount is illusory."

https://www.truthinadvertising.org/mypillows-bogo-50-off-claims/

The genesis of the suits was the never-ending BOGO sale.

In the almost 3 years I've been cruising with them I have seen it go away for a few times, but only for a day or too. I think it was when they were switching out options. Like the one where you could choose free gratuities ended and 36 hours it popped back up with shore excursions instead.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hi Fellow Critics..

Is it me ...or are the Free at sea pick up to 5 offers always being extended??? I feel like they (NCL) have had this promo for eternity...not that I'm complaining...i was just curious as to what they can possibly follow this up with??? I mean...how much better can it get??

I booked a Family Suite on the Dawn with (5) Haven privileges as well as free govt taxes...did I get the best deal???

You got the best overall deal. The TaxFree sale saves you a great amount of money in addition to the other promos. It's my favorite 'additional' promo, then next fave is the free DSC (gratuities).

Ends Today! according to the website. Let's see what it says tomorrow. But as previous poster said, it's not really a special, just part of the price.

extended to may 31st

and im waiting for these 2 at the same time:

- free port fees/govt taxes

- free prepaid gratuities

Then, there are less frequent promo offers as add-on, select sailings/dates:

a) Latitude Insiders Offer, extra OBC & double Latitudes points

b) "Free" taxes, port charges & fees (but, check those prices) on select categories

c) "Free" service charges (not just the POA sailings) included

d) Distinctive Voyage, combinable ..,

f) Reduced Deposits ($50 to reserve, as low as $1 to reserve & book ...)

For a given, identical sailing, do a careful price comparison with the lowest Sail Away Rate and it will often reveal, not to anyone's real surprise, the hidden extra costs had been factored into the qualifying promo rates in the bundled offers, whether it's used or not.

Between their marketing & revenue departments, NCL continued to fine tune and tweak their pricing matrix, i.e. recent "tax" sales excluded all Insides booking, promptly a rush to book Oceanviews & higher (non Sail Away priced, of course) ... meanwhile, it appeared, there're fewer sub-categories within to choose from. End result, a few random mock booking indicated, the net prices aren't actually much of a "bargain" in terms of real savings, IMHO of course. But, if you like "deals" for the UBP and SDP by paying a 20% mandatory gratuities, many will still declare it a win-win, everyone happy - it's all good.

For the "insurance bet" - butter up with the Upgrade Advantage Offers to bid up to the next 2 categories, it's like playing mind games in suspense, at 80 days+ prior for a given sailing, especially if they need to sell more in their remaining inventory, to get a possible nice surprise. Why not, got nothing to loose ... afterall, one of my BIL went from an Oceanview to a large Balcony on the Escape, for what they considered a "reasonable" upcharge on the bidding.

With the peak summer sailing weeks & schools/colleges about to be let out soon, my guess is that the current offer will be extended again ... just not expecting any real extra deals and perks to be combinable, not until most likely - the early Fall.

Not enough to sweeten these deals, look around at cruise brokers & agencies as many continued to offer extras, and, don't overlook those credit card offers, including Amex.

Hi Fellow Critics..

I find it kind of crazy when cruiselines give such a great offer that their Marketing/promo department must be scratching their heads like...well... how can we follow this promo up and get passengers excited??

Best,

Mark

I have been on 6 cruise lines and they are the only one that e-mails me every day with the offers.

I have seen a number of cruises that don't offer it -- we were planning an Alaskan cruise next summer and opted for the Jewel, with Free at Sea, over the Bliss, which didn't have Free at Sea. Not surprising, given that the Bliss is new, better and more popular, but it made our decision for us.

What I like is the rare instance (Black Friday last year was one time) where everyone gets all five of the Free at Sea choices, not just two in a balcony. That's worth waiting for.

I booked that promo but alas I cancelled it last week.:o

Bill

Given the seeming never-ending nature of Free at Sea, I'm reminded of the class action suits against the maker of My Pillow for similar marketing tactics:

"Two false advertising class-action lawsuits were filed against MyPillow alleging that the company’s “buy one get one free” (BOGO) and 50% off promotions are deceptive. Specifically, the complaints allege that the company claims to include a 'free' pillow with the purchase of a pillow when, in reality, the regular price of one pillow is inflated resulting in consumers getting two pillows at or near the price of two pillows. In addition, the complaints allege MyPillow offers 50% off the regular price of pillows when, in reality, the regular price of the pillow is inflated to approximately twice the regular price and therefore the discount is illusory."

By that logic one could claim that anyone having any sale of any type could be misleading and deceptive.

Then, there are less frequent promo offers as add-on, select sailings/dates:

a) Latitude Insiders Offer, extra OBC & double Latitudes points

b) "Free" taxes, port charges & fees (but, check those prices) on select categories

c) "Free" service charges (not just the POA sailings) included

d) Distinctive Voyage, combinable ..,

f) Reduced Deposits ($50 to reserve, as low as $1 to reserve & book ...)

For a given, identical sailing, do a careful price comparison with the lowest Sail Away Rate and it will often reveal, not to anyone's real surprise, the hidden extra costs had been factored into the qualifying promo rates in the bundled offers, whether it's used or not.

Between their marketing & revenue departments, NCL continued to fine tune and tweak their pricing matrix, i.e. recent "tax" sales excluded all Insides booking, promptly a rush to book Oceanviews & higher (non Sail Away priced, of course) ... meanwhile, it appeared, there're fewer sub-categories within to choose from. End result, a few random mock booking indicated, the net prices aren't actually much of a "bargain" in terms of real savings, IMHO of course. But, if you like "deals" for the UBP and SDP by paying a 20% mandatory gratuities, many will still declare it a win-win, everyone happy - it's all good.

For the "insurance bet" - butter up with the Upgrade Advantage Offers to bid up to the next 2 categories, it's like playing mind games in suspense, at 80 days+ prior for a given sailing, especially if they need to sell more in their remaining inventory, to get a possible nice surprise. Why not, got nothing to loose ... afterall, one of my BIL went from an Oceanview to a large Balcony on the Escape, for what they considered a "reasonable" upcharge on the bidding.

With the peak summer sailing weeks & schools/colleges about to be let out soon, my guess is that the current offer will be extended again ... just not expecting any real extra deals and perks to be combinable, not until most likely - the early Fall.

Not enough to sweeten these deals, look around at cruise brokers & agencies as many continued to offer extras, and, don't overlook those credit card offers, including Amex.

This is quite accurate but you need to bear one thing in mind the offers are generated by inventory left on cruises and predicted sales rates. There are many more variables that are in the algorithm of how NCL or any any company that use a yield management strategy.

The offers other companies use are in the main driven by discount the operator will give them to guarantee a certain sales - also known in the industry as risk transfer.

By passing the deals to selected suppliers the operator

maintains the value of their product

get a sales price for the inventory it wants

and creates artificial division in the markets

A good example of this in the airline industry when Airline A sales a ticket below the price that the operating airline B is charging, Yes it means A can package it with their own flights but B can maintain its higher price. Its up to the aggro gator Kayak etc to find these inefficiencies

So NCL free at seas (not any longer used in Europe) works by creating an illusion of a deal and yes sometimes it will not be an illusion but moves it to suits current demand.

I have read all the boards on this but I have also studied and worked with it (Not NCL). So all the hypotheses of what they are doing are interesting but it is simple (and well executed) yield management.

In the UK the train companies are absolutely masters of these techniques of predicted sales - When the royal wedding was announced I would guess all cheap tickets to Windsdor for this week disappeared!!!!

I have been on 6 cruise lines and they are the only one that e-mails me every day with the offers.

I get emails every day from CCL, Princess, NCL, and Celebrity. HAL must be filtered and going to deleted.

Yet if there is important info from NCL I never get an email.

Hi Fellow Critics..

Best,

Mark

Mark, to us it is almost like going on an AI cruise which is just fine. The best part is, for those who really do not want all the perks, just want the lowest price they have that choice as well. It is all good.

So you are comparing "my pillow" bogus advertising with NCLs promo? There is no similarity!!! NCL advertising is not false in anyway. remember the advertising always says "up to" like all good advertising does.

With these "free" promos, the basic price of cabins plus port taxes, etc. seems to go up. Even with the 3 & 4 person sail free, prices are higher so the "free" is being rolled into the pricing. :(So not always a sale for some of us.

MARAPRINCE

NCL is a business and as such, making a profit is the goal. They do not give anything away “Free”. You will pay for it somewhere. As mentioned, look for what you want for the best final price.

With these "free" promos, the basic price of cabins plus port taxes, etc. seems to go up. Even with the 3 & 4 person sail free, prices are higher so the "free" is being rolled into the pricing. :(So not always a sale for some of us.

MARAPRINCE

wished we can get 'sail away' pricing AND pick our cabin # :(