Sky Suite Questions

irenedee

We have enjoyed several Celebrity cruises in the past. We are looking forward to our first Sky Suite experience in a few weeks

I’ve been looking at the list of extra perks that accompany this room and I’m hoping some of you with Suite experience can assist me

May we dine anywhere on the ship - main dining room, Blu etc or just in Luminae for dinner?

On embarkation, is it correct to assume that we can avoid that horrible - can never find a seat experience- at the lunch buffet and instead enjoy the peaceful serenity of Luminae for lunch?

Is Michael’s Club open early in the morning, I’m an early riser, and is the coffee of good quality?

Can we expect priority tenders?

With grateful thanks for your assistance

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We often call in to Michael’s after breakfast for a Bellini or a coffee. Remember your butler will also bring coffee to your room.

Blu is available for suite guests on a ‘space available’ basis, so don’t just turn up peak time...you could be turned away. Again with MDR select, if it is busy you will be accommodated but may be sent away with a buzzer first.

Whilst we rarely opt for Blu or MDR over Luminae or a speciality out of good manners we would try to organise with the M’D or through the butler the day before....If we turned up last minute we would not be offended if asked to return later.

Mynki, if you don’t want 27 more replies be more specific in your responses! I am sure many more posters have further information of interest to the OP to offer re her queries....

As to dining anywhere on the ship, yes you can use the MDR and Blu on a space available basis. You can also order from the MDR menu in Luminae. Except for appetizers we stick with the Luminae menu because the food is better in our opinion.

You can also go to the specialty restaurants for a fee, discounts are usually available unless it is a holiday sailing. Your butler or the MC concierge can make reservations for you.

Do you need a reservation for Luminae if your in a sky suite? And is it open for breakfast?

Luminae is open daily for breakfast and dinner with lunch served on embarkation day and sea days... Open seating with no reservations needed; I've had only one instance in which I wasn't seated immediately [it was an embarkation day dinner] upon arrival at Luminae...

I've had only one instance in which I wasn't seated immediately [it was an embarkation day dinner] upon arrival at Luminae...

That's because people have realised that Luminae is a shining beacon of tranquility on embarkation day and head straight there. So my advice to the OP is to do the same if possible.

We have enjoyed several Celebrity cruises in the past. We are looking forward to our first Sky Suite experience in a few weeks

I’ve been looking at the list of extra perks that accompany this room and I’m hoping some of you with Suite experience can assist me

May we dine anywhere on the ship - main dining room, Blu etc or just in Luminae for dinner?

On embarkation, is it correct to assume that we can avoid that horrible - can never find a seat experience- at the lunch buffet and instead enjoy the peaceful serenity of Luminae for lunch?

Is Michael’s Club open early in the morning, I’m an early riser, and is the coffee of good quality?

Can we expect priority tenders?

With grateful thanks for your assistance

Michael's Club has an espresso machine and pods like Nespresso. Not bad. But you can get great coffee made for you at Cafe al Baccio starting around 6-6:30 AM. Free if you have a beverage package - you probably do since you are in a suite.

That's because people have realised that Luminae is a shining beacon of tranquility on embarkation day and head straight there. So my advice to the OP is to do the same if possible.

We upgraded to a suite a couple of years ago and loved Luminae. Once we ate there, we didn't eat anywhere else. First time on a cruise that we never ate at the buffet.

Remember also that you can order off the MDR menu while in Luminae. I did about 30% of the time during our 12 day cruise a couple weeks ago. The MDR menu is 3x the size of the menu for Luminae so your options really expand. There is no reason to go to the MDR when Luminae is open unless you are meeting non-suite passenger there. I do not know about ordering from Blu since the kitchens are on different decks so it would be difficult for your waiter, but they may do it??

Michael's Club has an espresso machine and pods like Nespresso. Not bad. But you can get great coffee made for you at Cafe al Baccio starting around 6-6:30 AM. Free if you have a beverage package - you probably do since you are in a suite.

Not all Suite bookings include a beverage package. 😊 We have occasionally received a beverage package as a perk when booking a Sky Suite through a promo offered by X.

Royal suites and above have a premium beverage package and specialty dining package included with the booking.

I've dined in Luminae on several trips and--after my initial experience--still haven't warmed to it/come to love it as you do... During my first cruise providing suite guests with access to Luminae, I went there for lunch upon embarkation, asked the Maitre 'D to set up a standing reservation for dinner, and was told that one would not be necessary... When I showed up at the time I'd requested, I was told that there would be a forty minute wait and--when I questioned that given that tables were empty--was further told that they had been reserved... Difficult to rationalize given the response I'd gotten to my reservation request more than six hours earlier when Luminae was virtually empty... For medical reasons, I went to The Oceanview--it was fine--but couldn't get over the unusual lack of professionalism exhibited by that Maitre 'D [initially and when I showed up for dinner; he exhibited no sign of recognizing the disconnect between his advice and reality] and it left a lasting impression...

And to be candid, I'm not particularly fond of some of the rather limited Luminae-specific dinner menu offerings [i am allergic to all fin fish and most seafood; there is a heavy emphasis on both] and don't need to pay suite prices--the additional space is nice/not essential and in any case I am accorded all of the "Go Best" suite perks [plus some] by virtue of my loyalty regardless of stateroom category--to mostly dine from the very nice but somewhat less distinctive MDR menu...

While I don't preclude booking a suite/dining in Luminae in the future [i know many--but not all--love it; one size doesn't fit all] in the future, my upcoming cruises are all booked in AquaClass with dining in Blu; that's where I first became addicted to sailing with Celebrity [enjoy the food and atmosphere more than that offered in the MDR; have never had a service lapse] and that's where I'm personally happiest...

Fortunately, we all have options...

Edited by Xport

We also just booked our first suite - and it's also a Sky Suite. Will also be our first time with a beverage package. Will be a decidedly different cruise for us.

I do have a question about lunch in Luminae on embarkation and sea days - is it a different menu every time, or sort of a stock "this is lunch" menu?

Our last half dozen cruises have been in AQ with Blu which we love very much, so interested to see the comparisons.

We also just booked our first suite - and it's also a Sky Suite. Will also be our first time with a beverage package. Will be a decidedly different cruise for us.

I do have a question about lunch in Luminae on embarkation and sea days - is it a different menu every time, or sort of a stock "this is lunch" menu?

Our last half dozen cruises have been in AQ with Blu which we love very much, so interested to see the comparisons.

They have more than one lunch menu, but I do not know how many. During our 12 day cruise with 4 sea days and embarkation lunch, there were differences, but I do not remember how many. The famous hamburger was on all lunch menus.

I think they have three rotating lunch menus. Lumina is Blu on steroids. I think the food is very similar but I believe the Luminae staff is better and more experienced and Luminae is not as crowded as Blu.

Thanks for the conversation, I’ve enjoyed reading all of the posts so far.

I notice a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine is included as a welcome. Neither of us would drink that. Do you think it would be ok to ask the Butler to replace it with a bottle of red wine.

I notice the OP also asked about specialty restaurants being included free. I believe they changed that but could someone confirm that here? It would be great but I believe only Royal and Penthouse Suites have that now.

Thanks.

Pat C

I've dined in Luminae on several trips and--after my initial experience--still haven't warmed to it/come to love it as you do... During my first cruise providing suite guests with access to Luminae, I went there for lunch upon embarkation, asked the Maitre 'D to set up a standing reservation for dinner, and was told that one would not be necessary... When I showed up at the time I'd requested, I was told that there would be a forty minute wait and--when I questioned that given that tables were empty--was further told that they had been reserved... Difficult to rationalize given the response I'd gotten to my reservation request more than six hours earlier when Luminae was virtually empty... For medical reasons, I went to The Oceanview--it was fine--but couldn't get over the unusual lack of professionalism exhibited by that Maitre 'D [initially and when I showed up for dinner; he exhibited no sign of recognizing the disconnect between his advice and reality] and it left a lasting impression...

And to be candid, I'm not particularly fond of some of the rather limited Luminae-specific dinner menu offerings [i am allergic to all fin fish and most seafood; there is a heavy emphasis on both] and don't need to pay suite prices--the additional space is nice/not essential and in any case I am accorded all of the "Go Best" suite perks [plus some] by virtue of my loyalty regardless of stateroom category--to mostly dine from the very nice but somewhat less distinctive MDR menu...

While I don't preclude booking a suite/dining in Luminae in the future [i know many--but not all--love it; one size doesn't fit all] in the future, my upcoming cruises are all booked in AquaClass with dining in Blu; that's where I first became addicted to sailing with Celebrity [enjoy the food and atmosphere more than that offered in the MDR; have never had a service lapse] and that's where I'm personally happiest...

You have my sincerest sympathies if that's the level of service you received in Luminae. Like yourself I can only base my opinion on the first hand experiences I've had myself. We've always been warmly received and well looked after by the maitre 'd, sommelier and wait staff.

Food is very subjective, I shoot a lot of deer at home and have interests in the UK beef industry so there's no guessing what my freezers are full of. Therefore I enjoy many fish and seafood dishes. I'm also happy with raw food so Luminae is a good fit for me personally. I completely understand why it might not be ideal for others though.

As for Blu vs Luminae, in my experience Luminae has it beat on every level. But everything is relative. I'm currently in Aqua Class because the crazy pricing of this cruise resulted in a SS costing more than four times that of an A1 cabin and six times more if we wanted a CS. Choosing not to book a suite wasn't something we took lightly but as the SS cabin is only fractionally larger on M class ships and the considerable price difference resulted in us favouring an A1 this time.

We have two more cruises booke with Celebrity. Very recently I've decided not to book with them again for the forseeable future. Not because I dislike the product but because I've realised I need to try O, AZ and even RCL (Been invited by family members to sail with them on RCL and my expectations are I think, appropriate, so all good. It could be the best cruise I ever do!? :)) as well as ensure I visit all the places only a land vacation can accomodate. When I'm older and presumably less mobile then I'll look at increasing the ratio of cruises to land based vacations etc.

As you say, we all have many, many choices and for that we should all be very thankful.

I notice the OP also asked about specialty restaurants being included free. I believe they changed that but could someone confirm that here? It would be great but I believe only Royal and Penthouse Suites have that now.

Thanks.

Pat C

Royal, Penthouse and Reflection suites include specialty dining.

The previous offer of two free visits to specialty restaurants with CS and SS was scrapped some time ago if that is what you are referring too?

Royal, Penthouse and Reflection suites include specialty dining.

The previous offer of two free visits to specialty restaurants with CS and SS was scrapped some time ago if that is what you are referring too?

I believe the two dinners ended Jan. 1, 2016 however those who booked prior to that date would still be eligible. Don't know if there are any holdovers from before that date.

Sort of agree with you, I didn't see much difference between Luminae or Blu. Neither one of them, however, meets MDR standards from the 90s in terms of food or service.

I believe the two dinners ended Jan. 1, 2016 however those who booked prior to that date would still be eligible. Don't know if there are any holdovers from before that date.

We 'qualified' for our cruise in january of this year but were told that we were amongst the last, so probably not.

It's a shame that offer was ended because it was a nice touch I thought.

Thanks for the conversation, I’ve enjoyed reading all of the posts so far.

I notice a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine is included as a welcome. Neither of us would drink that. Do you think it would be ok to ask the Butler to replace it with a bottle of red wine.

We don’t drink sparking wine, and always exchange it for a bottle of red wine. No problem.