Alaska FOOD on Radiance?

Getting excited for our Alaska cruise on Radiance next month. When we cruised Alaska on Princess 18 years ago, they had reindeer on the buffet and served Baked Alaska one night in MDR. Does Royal do anything like that? I heard they no longer convert Rita's Cantina to Rita's Crab Shack. :(

Getting excited for our Alaska cruise on Radiance next month. When we cruised Alaska on Princess 18 years ago, they had reindeer on the buffet and served Baked Alaska one night in MDR. Does Royal do anything like that? I heard they no longer convert Rita's Cantina to Rita's Crab Shack. :(

We just did a southbound Radiance. Rita's Cantina is no longer there, so no Rita's Crab Shack either.

I did not see reindeer on the buffet, though we did have reindeer sausage on our train ride. Not sure if they did Baked Alaska in the mdr, we ate in the WJ all week.

WJ did have theme nights at dinner. We had Shanghai night, Italian, Indian, American, Backyard BBQ, Seafood Night and one other I forget.

Really don't think there were any Alaska special things.

I've never seen reindeer on an RC ship.

The one thing I do remember that we found weird was there were no hash browns or home fries at breakfast. The served potato chips every morning. They were deep fried, thicker version of a traditional potato chip. Never tried them, never saw anyone take them either.

BOB

When I first read your answer------------------ in my head I came up with a ton of sarcastic humor........but

not being one to usually cause conflict, I behaved........

But I am sure others will provide the entertainment.

Thanks for the post. I am waiting for the humor.

Sue

The only reindeer I saw in Alaska was at "North Pole" in Fairbanks and they were fenced in. Saw reindeer roaming wild in Scotland. No reindeer on any ship we have sailed.

Sadly no local sourced food is served on the RCCL ships, hence when you order a fish of the day / Salmon you will get a product that maybe got caught in Alaska at some point, was deep frozen and shipped somewhere in the USA, shipped back to Canada or Alaska and then onto your plate.

The one thing I do remember that we found weird was there were no hash browns or home fries at breakfast. The served potato chips every morning. They were deep fried, thicker version of a traditional potato chip. Never tried them, never saw anyone take them either.

I found that to be rather different. It was the first time I had ever seen potato chips for breakfast. The were pretty good "kettle style" chips.

As for Rita's Cantina, The only thing left is the signs. The seating area is available as an extension of the Windjammer.

We've only done Alaskan cruises on NCL and Princess, but was disappointed in the lack of regional cuisine. I remember having Alaskan Brewery beer on at least one of them, but that was about it. Besides that it, on those lines at least, it was the same menus as any other itinerary. The salmon was still "atlantic" (ie. the farmed kind that I as a NWer find gross). I think including regional food would be way more work and cost for them. We got some great food in port though, at least as far as fresh local seafood goes.

The best cruise I've been on as far as incorporating regional flare is NCL Pride of America - at the time at least they had two full time local staff members (husband & wife) who had all sorts of Hawaiian and Polynesian activities for us, like talks, music, dance, and crafts.

Sadly, the food on Radiance was the weakest I have ever had on a RCI ship tbh. We even went to the WJ on seafood night only to be met with a few dishes including mussels that were still closed and a few sad prawns.

If the ships in the Med can produce a buffet with huge prawns and a variety of seafood, why can’t they when the waters of Alaska are brimming with it. [emoji226] [emoji886]

I did a full review, with pictures last week

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2645176

Yes the area for Ritas is now outside seating for the WJ. Most people don't make it that far back and we always sat out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by little britain

Sadly, the food on Radiance was the weakest I have ever had on a RCI ship tbh. We even went to the WJ on seafood night only to be met with a few dishes including mussels that were still closed and a few sad prawns.

If the ships in the Med can produce a buffet with huge prawns and a variety of seafood, why can’t they when the waters of Alaska are brimming with it. [emoji226] [emoji886] ��

I did a full review, with pictures last week

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2645176

Yes the area for Ritas is now outside seating for the WJ. Most people don't make it that far back and we always sat out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review. We had a similar experience when we did both N and S last month. The seafood buffet was a big disappointment.