"Formal" nights

crusin'k

We are on a 12 day Silhouette cruise that ends tomorrow, there were two "chic" nights. Some folks were dressed formal, but very few. Remember that Celebrity's "chic" nights are not formal as we used to know them.

Officially, it should only be 2 per their policies. There have been reports that some ships have added a third on occasion, so take an extra "dressy" top if you want something different. You could also just re-wear one of the outfits from before. No one is taking notes unless it's something really unusual.

And just to be clear, there are no "formal" nights where tux & gowns are required, though you may choose to wear them. The details of the dress code can be found on the Celebrity website and in many, many posts on Cruise Critic.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/during-your-cruise/onboard-dress-code

Thanks' date=' everyone. Do most men wear a jacket (suit or sport coat) on "chic" nights or just shirt and tie?[/quote']

I'd say on our last few cruises, over half wore a nice suit or sport jacket or blazer on chic nights. Less than 10% wore a tux. Of the rest, some wore a shirt and tie, and some were much more casual.

On the Infinity in September 2017, there were some suits and ties, but many others (including myself) in a nice long-sleeve button-down shirt and dress slacks. Very comfortable. Dressing up more would not be out of place. We just appreciated that we did not have to pack for suites or formal dresses/cocktail dresses.

Cruised several times in the past couple of years and what men wear, and how dressy people get, seems to vary by length of cruise (all our cruises were Caribbean, west Coastal, or Alaska). We found on the longer (14/15 night) cruises the crowd tends to be older and follows a more 'traditional' approach with many men wearing suits, a few with tuxes, and most (but not all) of the remainder in sport coats. On shorter cruises, I'd say men wearing any kind of jacket was 50/50 or less.

We just did a 7-day Summit Cruise and we only saw 1 man in his Tux and Cummerbund (that sash thing that covers up your gut). But then again, we were eating in Blu not the MDR.

I think that Tuxedos on Celebrity cruises are just going the way of the dinosaur. Personally, I like not having to pack two suits and got by fine with nice slacks and dress shirts.

The ladies still seemed to look dressy and classy so there has been no drop-off of elegance.

I think Siskel and Ebert would give the change to Chic night two thumbs up!