Formal night - attire

I am looking to book my first RC cruise for Hawaii in Sept. I was wondering what the "formal" night dining experience is like compared to other cruise lines I have been on. I found that NCL has a pretty laid back concept of dressing up, Carnival was also very laid back and Disney 2 nights on a 7 day cruise were cocktail dress attire. If I book the 10 day Hawaii cruise will there be a true formal night? If there is a formal night do most women wear a cocktail dress or is it more toward a formal gown?

Thanks in advance

There will likely be at least two formal nights.

Here is what the cruise line suggests: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/formal-dress-code-guideline

The reality is that since the cruise line will not enforce their suggestions, you will see a wide variety of attire, so wear whatever you like.

I find "Formal Night" is actually "photo-op": night. So if you want a special photo, go ahead and dress for it, but if that is not a priority, go ahead and dress casually but NOT in your cover-up or T-shirts! You will get the same service and food whether you are in a gown/tux or casual Friday wear. Enjoy!

By the way, you can always skip the main dining room and go up to the buffet for plenty of food in the more casual atmosphere .

I am looking to book my first RC cruise for Hawaii in Sept. I was wondering what the "formal" night dining experience is like compared to other cruise lines I have been on. I found that NCL has a pretty laid back concept of dressing up, Carnival was also very laid back and Disney 2 nights on a 7 day cruise were cocktail dress attire. If I book the 10 day Hawaii cruise will there be a true formal night? If there is a formal night do most women wear a cocktail dress or is it more toward a formal gown?

Thanks in advance

It sounds like you want a true formal night, which will not be the case, as there will be a suggested dress probably 2 nights where the suggestion is formal wear. While the majority (probably 60% depending on the itinerary) will follow those guidelines, there will be plenty that do not dress up at all, and you will see about every level of dress.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pleased I found this thread. We are going on our first RCI cruise in four weeks and I've been wondering about formal wear. British cruise lines such as P&O tend to be quite strict on their formal nights whereas our previous cruises on American cruise lines - Carnival and NCL - have been anything but. As we're flying in from the UK and thus limited in our baggage allowance I didn't want to pack full formal dinner wear. It looks like I'll get away with just a jacket and tie, however.

I'm confused about "formal" vs. "smart casual." From what's posted on RCL's website, a polo and khakis wouldn't pass for formal, and might not even count for smart casual. Carnival and NCL consider that acceptable for any dining location at any time.

I'm confused about "formal" vs. "smart casual." From what's posted on RCL's website, a polo and khakis wouldn't pass for formal, and might not even count for smart casual. Carnival and NCL consider that acceptable for any dining location at any time.

I really don't think there's any difference between smart casual and casual. Since dress suggestions are not enforced, there is a wide variety of attire seen. Just where whatever you like.

Glad I read this thread as we have a cruise booked in May on Jewel. We have not cruised RCI in a few years and I simply assumed their dress code had been modified as Celebrity’s had for formal night. What a shame, IMO.

You'll be fine in most anything as long as it's not bathing suits. Sometimes shorts are turned away at dinner, but that seems to be ending also. I have seen t-shirts and jeans in the MDR on Formal Night. If you wear Polo shirts and khakis on smart casual nights you'll likely find that you'll be dressed as well or better than many in the MDR. But you'll also see polo and khakis on Formal Night too. So no real worries.

If you check out "dress code" in the FAQ, here's what you'll find.

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.

• Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed.

• Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns. There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion.

Edited by papaflamingo

Glad I read this thread as we have a cruise booked in May on Jewel. We have not cruised RCI in a few years and I simply assumed their dress code had been modified as Celebrity’s had for formal night. What a shame, IMO.

It was really funny to see what people wore after Celebrity went from FORMAL to their new trendy term CASUAL CHIC.

On two celebrity cruises after this new dress recommendation went into effect we saw everything from tuxes to shorts and flip flops in the MDR on those CASUAL CHIC nights.

bosco

It was really funny to see what people wore after Celebrity went from FORMAL to their new trendy term CASUAL CHIC.

On two celebrity cruises after this new dress recommendation went into effect we saw everything from tuxes to shorts and flip flops in the MDR on those CASUAL CHIC nights.

bosco

We just got back from a celebrity cruise. Not that I was consciously looking, but I did not see anyone in the MDR for casual chic nights dressed in shorts, flip flops etc. JMO, with luggage and weight restrictions, casual chic would be nice over formal.

with luggage and weight restrictions, casual chic would be nice over formal.

Biggest excuse that is totally a joke. You are allowed 50 lbs per bag. Can still get a gown and suit in under 50 lbs.

People are to layZY OR sloppy to get dressed.JMHO!

Biggest excuse that is totally a joke. You are allowed 50 lbs per bag. Can still get a gown and suit in under 50 lbs.

Or you just don't want to hear other people's opinions. Having to pack extra outfits takes more space and weight. Having to bring clothes that will only be used for a few hours once or twice, including extra shoes, accessories, etc. is even more cumbersome. Formal wear does take allot more room and weight than casual wear. Denying this fact is ignorant at best.

I am not advocating anybody not dress up that wants to, but saying somebody is lazy or sloppy because they do not adhere to your dress expectations is rude and short sided imo.

I must compliment you on your use of English. You must be a former US resident. Most people from outside the USA write in broker grammar. Kudos to the linguist from the boot nation...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is no category called Casual Chic. There is Evening Chic (the dressiest), Resort Casual, and Casual.

I stand corrected. We sailed on our first Resort Casual cruise about 3 weeks after the change..

bosco:)

Edited by boscobeans

We just got back from a celebrity cruise. Not that I was consciously looking, but I did not see anyone in the MDR for casual chic nights dressed in shorts, flip flops etc. JMO, with luggage and weight restrictions, casual chic would be nice over formal.

Whatever they called it there were many people in dress that was sloppy, such as cargo shorts T-shirts and flip flops.

Posts noticing this were on the Celebrity board as well.

Not knocking them, as my wife and I don't care what anyone else wears as long as it's not a wet bathing suit in the MDR. But what we saw was what we saw,

In our many Celebrity cruises since we started on them in 2001 we have seen lots of things that others may not have seen. LOL

Back on one of the Connie's first sailings a couple seated next to our party always showed up at least 30 minutes after the seating time (rules then said doors would be closed after 15 minutes of the traditional seating time) and never once appeared to be following ANY dress code on ANY night. They were NEVER denied service. It did at that time cause a few problems for our waiter and his assistant but wasn't that big a deal.

bosco

Or you just don't want to hear other people's opinions. Having to pack extra outfits takes more space and weight. Having to bring clothes that will only be used for a few hours once or twice, including extra shoes, accessories, etc. is even more cumbersome. Formal wear does take allot more room and weight than casual wear. Denying this fact is ignorant at best.

I am not advocating anybody not dress up that wants to, but saying somebody is lazy or sloppy because they do not adhere to your dress expectations is rude and short sided imo.

Thank you. Nicely stated. :)

IMO I need to pack that extra pair of good walking shoes vs evening shoes and hope to have the excess space in my luggage filled with beautiful keepsakes and souvenirs from my cruise.

From my own experience, I’ve seen past cruisers in “formal wear” that, can’t pass for elegant or chic, more less elegantly chic. Jmo