What's with the damned music ads on Cruise Critic?

John Bull

OK, in order to operate, Cruise Critic needs adverts. I know that, I accept that.

But now I'm sometimes getting video ads complete with music or dialogue.

Not only does it slow - and occasionally stall - my computer, but the sound is downright intrusive. Especially when there are others in the room, or I'm concentrating on my one-finger typing or listening to something else while I browse, so I have to turn off my speakers.

Have others been getting the same?

Or mebbe just those of us on the UK site?

Just recently, or for some time?

On tablets as well as PCs?

Do you find them a damned nuisance?

....................... or am I just a grumpy old man? ;)

JB :)

Have seen previous posts on the random aidio ads and CC is aware of it. A post was made before by Laura S. CC Manager for info on the ad's url so they can peobably block it.

I haven't encountered it on my laptop pobably due to my Adblock Plus installed on my Firefox. Haven't experienced it either on my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I guess I've had my speakers off most of the time while on CC by coincidence. The last couple of times I was on CC I had speakers on and I had audio ads for Best Buy, Progressive Insurance and something else which I don't recall. Now....speakers are ALWAYS off whilst on CC!

Oh, by the way, if you decide not to do an ad blocker and use Chrome and don't want to perma-mute like a lot of us do, you can right click on any tab and select "Mute Tab". So you can continue listening to other things and just mute the ads.

Welcome to 2017. Something has to pay for the boards and folks today are so against paying for anything (see actual news sites) that they have to get money somewhere. I have actually stopped going to a couple of other news and sports sites because of this. My FB and twitter feeds are now about 40-50% advertising as well. I now get most of my daily news from my local (Charleston) news paper that I pay for on my kindle. No ads and (even better) no dopey reader comments.

Do you find them a damned nuisance?

....................... or am I just a grumpy old man? ;)

You are not grumpy. You are right. A majority -- huge majority -- of general interest websites are loaded with all kinds of visual and audio click-bait crap, because there are too many sites put up by too many attempt-at-quick-buck online schemers. The web seems to be going through a phase of too much garbage content generation by hucksters who have not yet -- regrettably -- run out of their seed capital. Until they do and disappear, they will continue to throw their "damned nuisance" crap content as far, wide and frequently as they can. Excuses such as in the first answer to you are hogwashy.

I've had this happen too; very loud and blarey, mostly when I go on the Princess boards. It has been better the last couple of weeks.

I hardly even notice the print ads anymore, but those audio ads just can't be ignored.

I know there is a plea for users to stop using ad blockers, but unless and until websites stop selling ad space to ads that are loud, cause your computer to freeze, and can carry viruses, I will continue to use one. If they would confine themselves to ads that just sit there quietly, without any adverse effect on the operation of my computer or my own enjoyment of the site, THEN I might consider removing the ad blocker...

I know there is a plea for users to stop using ad blockers, but unless and until websites stop selling ad space to ads that are loud, cause your computer to freeze, and can carry viruses, I will continue to use one. If they would confine themselves to ads that just sit there quietly, without any adverse effect on the operation of my computer or my own enjoyment of the site, THEN I might consider removing the ad blocker...

:confused: Hmmm?

Isn't using an add blocker, which denies the web site, CC in this case, eye balls and therefore revenue, just like smuggling booze onto a cruise ship and denying the cruise line revenue? :confused:

:confused: Hmmm?

Isn't using an add blocker, which denies the web site, CC in this case, eye balls and therefore revenue, just like smuggling booze onto a cruise ship and denying the cruise line revenue? :confused:

Bit of a stretch there, hey?

There's not any rule in place so far as I know saying one is not allowed to use an ad blocker. However, there is a rule regarding how much alcohol one is allowed to bring on board ship.

Many people don't seem to be aware that ads are often the cause of viruses. I have no problem with CC getting revenue if ads are not harmful. Some of them are.

I haven't noticed them lately, recognizing this thread is old, but some of the google ads on this site are heavily affected by your search history with google. There was a thread about a male thong type bathing suit someone saw on a beach while on a cruise. It's pretty bizzare and created quite a stir, but nobody would post a picture, so I googled what ever the term was and google came up with an amazon link where this bathing suit was sold. Since it was the first link on the search I clicked on it. Shortly after I saw a link for it and now when I shop Amazon, it comes up as a suggestion of something I might like. :eek:

I'm always wary of adding programmes, sometimes they create more problems than they solve.

In fact, whenever Windows does automatic updates I hold my breath cos they've caused the occasional problem. :rolleyes:

But I do find ads with sound are intrusive, so I gave it a whirl.

Tina - I tried uBlock Origin, but it says it doesn't work on IE, and I'm not gonna switch to chrome or wherever, because IE has the features need. Thanks anyway.

DaveKathy - I installed Ad Blocker Plus 20 mins ago, it installed easily.

Thanks for that.

I still get the ads down the side on CC, but like cruisemom I don't find that a problem, and if it helps CC's finances that's OK.

Don't know yet whether it's blocked the audio/video ads, they've only cropped up from time to time.

I'll post again - with expletives ;p - if they recur.

BTW, Norton gave me the thumbs-up for both.

It was the really annoying ads that pushed me to install an ad blocker. By default, my ad blocker allows non-intrusive ads that meet their criteria.

I thought sometimes the ads start playing because you accidentally moved your cursor over them ... ??

Not tonight... I had three playing as I scrolled down this one post, but I didn't notice what they were for, except one was something for teaching children...:rolleyes:

I'm always wary of adding programmes, sometimes they create more problems than they solve.

In fact, whenever Windows does automatic updates I hold my breath cos they've caused the occasional problem. :rolleyes:

But I do find ads with sound are intrusive, so I gave it a whirl.

Tina - I tried uBlock Origin, but it says it doesn't work on IE, and I'm not gonna switch to chrome or wherever, because IE has the features need. Thanks anyway.

DaveKathy - I installed Ad Blocker Plus 20 mins ago, it installed easily.

Thanks for that.

I still get the ads down the side on CC, but like cruisemom I don't find that a problem, and if it helps CC's finances that's OK.

Don't know yet whether it's blocked the audio/video ads, they've only cropped up from time to time.

I'll post again - with expletives ;p - if they recur.

BTW, Norton gave me the thumbs-up for both.

You're welcome. FWIW I'm using at laptop with ME. Since I installed the Add Blocker Plus I don't get any adds on CC. So nice. (y)

You're welcome. FWIW I'm using at laptop with ME. Since I installed the Add Blocker Plus I don't get any adds on CC. So nice. (y)

When I posted I think I needed to re-boot, because I too have now lost all ads on CC.

On some other sites I now get messages telling me that I'm consequently not providing them with revenue. TBH, that's a shame. But advertisers over-doing the ads have created the situation.

Same with the long drawn-out stuff on facebook.

If it looks interesting, nowadays I go straight to "comments", to see if there are complaints about wasted-time. There usually are.:rolleyes:

And the same with TV.

Programmes I'm keen to watch I now record, so that I can watch later and fast-forward through the ads.

Advertising is a fact of life.

But when it starts to dominate, they lose me entirely. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads-up.