Am I the only one who tries to always go on a different ship?

When I first read the Title, I thought you tried to board a different ship at port! :D

As far as different ships, we usually choose by itinerary. I have been on the Serenade twice, once to Alaska and the second time Southern Caribbean. I could have been on any ship for the Southern Caribbean, it was so port intensive by the time I finished dinner and a show I was out like a light!

I'd do any of the ships over again - it's better than being at work! :D:D

Hubby and I don't like to sail the same ship or repeat the same itinerary. So far we've been able to avoid that with our eight cruises. Our 9th cruise will be on the same ship - Caribbean Princess but totally different itinerary and port. First cruise on CB was Canada/New England out of NYC, but second will be Caribbean out of Galveston, TX.

We book our cruises based on itinerary. It doesn't matter much to us what ship will be taking us there. Booking a different ship doesn't necessarily mean something totally new and unfamiliar anyways. On RCI ships, once you've sailed on a ship in any given class (Voyager class for example) you will be familiar with all of the other ships in that class so it's easy to know your way around. We went on Explorer and two years later went on Adventure. Aside from some of the venues having different names, the layouts of the ships are basically the same. If I wanted to go to the pub on the Royal Promenade, I knew where it was. It didn't matter if it was called the Crown & Kettle or the Duck & Dog. It was still (basically) the same pub in the same location on the two ships. Same thing with the dining room and the theater etc. Different names but exact same location on both ships. We have been on Serenade twice. Next year we will be on Brilliance and I expect to be very familiar with the ship because of my time on Serenade.

I'm still young, only 23, and been on 5 cruises do far, but, to me, I alway want to try and book a different cruise ship each year, am I one of the few that is like this? I think one of the best parts of a cruise is on embarkation day wandering around the ship exploring. On a ship you've already been on, you know where most stuff is already.

You're not the only one. I am on my 6th cruise this coming September and haven't repeated a ship yet. Not only that, but each have mostly been on different classes of ships. Only the Sovereign & Majesty were the same class for me. The others are all different including my upcoming Oasis class experience! Can't wait to see how different the Allure is from the Liberty and Navigator.

Our next cruise on Explorer will be our first duplicate ship. However, it is a completely different itinerary. This will also be our first duplicate port, Labadee. We look for different itineraries, but new ships are always a plus.

When I go back to Labadee, a factor in my consideration for my next cruise, it will be a like a new port since so much has changed since 2008.

I like the question and all the answers so far. For the most part this is a question with no wrong answers.

When I first read the Title, I thought you tried to board a different ship at port! :D

:D:D

My apologies to anyone who has heard this story before, but my first time I went on Majesty we got a great deal. It turns out Royal was either filming or shooting stills for new advertising (we were told) at Coco Cay. This would have been 2007 I believe and both Majesty and Sovereign were both there that day. As you probably know, Coco Cay is a tender stop. We were late leaving the area. Our waiter told us that several people took tenders to the wrong ship, including people on the planned last tender of the day. At least those two ships look alike. FYI, they didn't know they were on the wrong ship till their seapass cards were rejected on boarding.

Interesting point of view. Questions like this, I'm glad when the respondents have their history in their signature.

If I had my history in my signature it would get pretty boring with the same ship - I've done Grandeur 18 times and Enchantment 13 times. I've also got Enchanment booked for 5 more and Grandeur for 6 more when she returns to Baltimore. Yes I've been on others from Soverign, Nordic Prince, Empress, Radience and Mariner but I keep going back to the ones I like out of the port I like.

I'm still young, only 23, and been on 5 cruises do far, but, to me, I alway want to try and book a different cruise ship each year, am I one of the few that is like this? I think one of the best parts of a cruise is on embarkation day wandering around the ship exploring. On a ship you've already been on, you know where most stuff is already.

I've been lucky that it has been a different itinerary and different ship everytime and hope to keep the trend going. I like every vacation to be a new adventure. New places to see and a different vessel to get me there.

I would LOVE to take a different ship each time. I would also enjoy not repeating ports/itineraries.

However, we try not to fly, so we our ship/itinerary choices are limited by our preferred embarkation ports. We are also limited by budget, and cannot afford itineraries like Alaska, Europe, and the exotic.

This is why we often end up on the same ship multiple times.

For us, itinerary, timing, and price drive our trip decisions, though the ship does play a role also. We'd be happy trying new ships each time, but equally happy going where we want to go, when we want, on a ship that we've been on before - assuming that we enjoyed the ship the first time. We've only been on one ship that we would not go on again - found the Carnival Pride decor very dark and almost gruesome.

Sometimes you just fall in love with a ship (for us, it's the Radiance) but I still don't think I'd want to cruise year after year on the same ship/same itinerary. There's also the experience of doing a repeat cruise on a ship after major changes in drydock - it's fun to explore the changes.

I used to try to not repeat the same ship because exploring a new ship was always part of the fun of cruising for me. However, then I found the southern Caribbean when we sailed on Serenade and loved it down there so much that we then did three cruises in a row on Adventure. Then we found 8 night cruises and liked them so much that we have done a couple of those on Independence. And then we found Oasis and liked it so much that.......:eek::D

We will soon be on #16 with RCCL and it will be our 13th different ship. All different ships with NCL,Carnival,and Princess also,but we live in Fl. so that makes it easier to do.

We pick primarily based on itinerary, then price ... even in the winter, when all we want to do is get warm in the Caribbean ... there have been some repeat ports (which we don't mind at all) and there are still a lot of islands we're hoping to see ...

Of course, that's the Caribbean. We've had three amazing cruises in the Med and we'd happily repeat any of them if we couldn't find itineraries we'd like better!

So far we haven't repeated a ship, don't think it would be a problem.

The only times we've ever picked based on the ship first was Oasis & Allure. We liked both cruises and thought the ships were amazing, but I don't know if we'd ever go back on either. They're very expensive and the ports are very limited.

We're thinking of trying Princess or Celebrity next January for our Caribbean cruise ... but who knows ...

When we were still flying - we tried different ships for each cruise. Also, different itineraries.

But now; we don't fly (our choice) and love the port of Baltimore. We started with Grandeur, and are now sailing on Enchantment, and looking forward to the return of Grandeur.

It would take a very special itinerary to get us to fly again.

I like the idea of sailing on different ships as well, as it gives you a sense of what ships are your favourite, and always a sense of exploration when you board! Always love the awe you get when you finally get to look around!

I too, like to sail on different ships. I'm hoping to finish out the RCI classes in the next couple years. I guess I'm not doing a very good job of that though, as my upcoming cruises are on the same classes that I've been on before. :o I think the Enchantment coming to Florida will take care of that class - I'm sure I can find a spare weekend sometime to spend in the Bahamas in 2014. I'm considering the Allure for January 2014 as a B2B with my Jewel cruise. Time will tell if my budget allows for that or not. My favorite class is the Radiance class so I don't mind repeating on those.

I'm 28 so not a lot older then you and as you can see by my sig I've only traveled with rccl. I peronally like trying new ships. I've done a couple a few times but I live in south Florida so I have ft lauderdale and Miami ports near by so I can try a lot of ships from either port. I have done San Juan also. And leave to Alaska next month. I'm starting to branch off now from worrying about the ship to more so trying to explore new places. It's like rccl says. Get out there. I'm looking to book a 15 night from Maylasia to dubai now so I'm really getting out there.

I like to go on different ships and try different cruise lines too. I have gone on sister ships (on Princess) but it is fun to have everything a surprise when you come onboard. Our next cruise is the Oasis -- now that one is going to be an adventure!

We feel exactly as you do! In fact, we have that same feeling about visiting countries/hotels too! There are so many countries to visit, why go back to the same one had forgo visiting an entirely different one.

Anyway, couldn't agree more. I'm not saying we wouldn't ever cruise on the same ship, but I can't think of a reason....ha!

Souverign of the Seas

Vision of the Seas

Splendour of the Seas

Veendam

Grandeur of the Seas

Star Princess

Grand Princess

Dawn Princess

Diamond Princess

"Millie"

Solstice

Spirit of the Seas

Liberty of the Seas (10/27/12)

Our cruise on the Monarch last month was my first repeat of a RCL ship, although it bore little resemblance to the first time I sailed it back in 1995. I've been lucky to be able to sail a different RCL ship on the others. I'd love to hit all the other ships, but at this point in our life, we'll take what we can get.

Archived