Live from the Caribbean Princess mystery cruise.

Carolyn R

From what I have been hearing on the news I think you will all be safer on the ship then I will be on land. They are evacuating Fire Island now.

Roland they are saying that the flooding could get so bad that it could close down the NY subway system for weeks. What is your opinion having been employed by the MTA for years.

Right now it looks like the problem on land is going to be power outages. A cold front is going to follow the storm causing the temps to drop. For me this means no heat since my heating system requires electric to run. So I won't be sporting Bermuda shorts either. I have a very expensive bottle of Remy Martin that I may have to break open to keep warm.

I will keep you posted from land for as long as I have eclectic and internet. I guess I could still use Tapatalk on my phone if the electric goes out. I will have to charge my phone in the car.

Happy sailing....Be Safe

Nooooo, don't say that! I am not walking 50 blocks to and from work. That would be a disaster

I wonder if we will have to have a port call in a foreign port or if Princess can get an emergency exemption because of the storm. Otherwise we will have to have a port call in Canada if we are going to stop in Boston. I think we will head for Canada and stop in Boston on the way back and stay there until it is safe to head to NY.

I wonder if we will have to have a port call in a foreign port or if Princess can get an emergency exemption because of the storm. Otherwise we will have to have a port call in Canada if we are going to stop in Boston. I think we will head for Canada and stop in Boston on the way back and stay there until it is safe to head to NY.

I wonder if they can do a service stop? Ship goes somewhere near Canada and stops and exchange paperwork....

Otherwise, you are probably right. There is probably an emergency exemption. I think I read about this before.

Just got a note saying we will be stopping in Boston at some point.

Let's all be positive and make this a fun adventure.

Love your attitude

To all those sailing out today, have a safe and enjoyable journey, wherever you go

If I lived closer I might just jump on just to say I survived the hurricane, but then again I would miss all the lovely rain I get in the North West :D

Vickie

I wonder if they can do a service stop? Ship goes somewhere near Canada and stops and exchange paperwork....

Otherwise, you are probably right. There is probably an emergency exemption. I think I read about this before.

Coral, Will the Jones Act allow just a "Service Stop"?:confused:

I just had Limoncello for the first time on my cruise back in June & loved it:D. Is it considered a wine...can I bring it on with me?

Thanks

I would hardly consider it a wine. It is basically Vodka that has lemon rinds soak in it for a few weeks that is then strained and mixed with simple syrup.

Tasty but not wine.

I thought I read on CND years ago (going off my memory so it could be wrong) that at attempt of a service call is good enough given extreme situations. And the service stop was not even docked if I remember. I will see if I can find it.

Editing - now that I think about it, ships doing RT Seattle to Alaska often do a service stop in Victoria if they can't dock due to weather to satisfy requirements.

Technically an attempted service stop is not sufficient, but as noted there is a process to request a waiver for 'environmental conditions'. I think a hurricane counts. Remember that a violation requires two factors, that the problem occur and the decision to enforce it.

I thought I read on CND years ago (going off my memory so it could be wrong) that at attempt of a service call is good enough given extreme situations. And the service stop was not even docked if I remember. I will see if I can find it.

Editing - now that I think about it, ships doing RT Seattle to Alaska often do a service stop in Victoria if they can't dock due to weather to satisfy requirements.

Years ago the foreign port 'stop' on the LA roundtrip Hawaii cruise was stopping offshore from Ensenada & the Mexican authorities came out by boat to handle the paperwork. As I recall NCL who is the only cruise line eligible to sail exclusively within Hawaii complained about these token 'foreign port' stops & now other cruise lines have to spend time in Ensenada.

Not that there can't be an emergency exemption which makes sense to me in situations like the 4 day sailing today.

I think you are right. I seem to remember a Service Call rather than a stop in Ensenada Mexico following a Hawaii Cruise.

That's been my question all day - with the Jones Act and all - how can they just go to Boston?

We always like to pick up a few trinkets and not sure how the weather will be for walking around.

Weather forecast for Monday in Boston

High: 62

Rain. Patchy fog. Rain may be heavy at times. Very windy with highs in the lower 60s. Northeast winds 25 to 35 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

Isn't this is a New York roundtrip...do they need a foreign call?

Yes, The Caribbean Princess does need a stop in a foreign port of call because she is registered in her home port of Hamilton, Bermuda.

The Jones Act requires all foreign flagged cruise ships that sail out of US ports to stop in at least one international port during each cruise.

As Coral mentioned, this may be waived under certain circumstances. Apparently Princess has asked for and received a waver for this cruise.

Amelia, Vickie, Pia and Toto: This one's for you!

My friend Cathy and I got organized and left for the port at about 10 am. Priority check-in was easy with no wait whatsoever. We were told we were going to port in Boston but no details were given. We met Mary Kay and Roland in the waiting room and boarded just before 12 noon and had no trouble bringing on our wine. I should mention that the NYPD had a sniffer dog in the terminal. I guess they must have heard that this was going to be a party cruise We easily found our window suite and were very pleased. I love that we are so close to the water. We have two nice big windows, flowers and a fruit basket. Ricardo from the Phillipines is our room steward. His cabins include all the window suites and some cabins on deck 5. Wow!

We met Mary Kay for lunch in the dining room and shared a bottle of nice Pino Grigio. I had the spinach and ricotta ravioli, appetizer size, the salmon with dill butter, and the orange souflee, smaller but a better size in my opinion. All were delicious. When we returned to our suite we found our evening canapes already delivered. What's up with that? Our luggage was already there and Ricardo delivered our complimentary Champagne (the good stuff in case you were wondering). I drank both because Cathy is not fond of Champagne. We unpacked.and are all moved in.

The weather is warm, humid and cloudy with bursts of sunshine. The waters are calm so far, as is the wind. Muster is at 4 pm and we are due to sail at 5 pm.

Time for a short nap before muster.

Yes, The Caribbean Princess does need a stop in a foreign port of call because she is registered in her home port of Hamilton, Bermuda.

The Jones Act requires all foreign flagged cruise ships that sail out of US ports to stop in at least one international port during each cruise.

As Coral mentioned, this may be waived under certain circumstances. Apparently Princess has asked for and received a waver for this cruise.

And, of course, if she does a "cruise to nowhere" instead, she doesn't have to call at any port to satisfy the PVSA.

Carolyn,

We have seen the police dogs at every port. They go over everything that comes on the ship. I remember one cruise when we sat on our balcony for a couple hours watching the dog checking each pallet.

Yes, the champagne is the good stuff - we are enjoying it right now. Muster just started - nice when you don't have to go to it. Lunch was excellent - we had the tenderloin.

We noticed that the loading area really cleared out early - hardly anyone showed up after 1:30. Wonder if they will tell us how many passengers are on board.

See you shortly at our get together.

Sandy - the other one

Archived