safe to use safes?

Cruisernewbie44

Never had a problem with stuff in the safe, or even things that weren't. In fact, the only problem I've had is trying to throw stuff away. Once I put a thrashed bathing suit in the cabin's trash can -- only to come back and find it folded neatly on the bed. Had to tell my room steward that it really did need to be discarded. ;)

I have never been on a cruise ship so please bear with me if this seems dumb. Is it safe to use the safe in your stateroom when you are off the ship? I have rarely used safes in hotel rooms because I was nervous about their security.

We have never had a problem with the safes - we always start off the cruise putting everything away in the safe but by the end of the cruise our camera, phone, iPad etc are all left out in the room and we have never had anything stolen.

I wouldn't put several thousands of dollar in cash into it - that is something that should be stored in the ships safe. However it is ok for stuff like jewelery (if it isn't the crown jewels) smaller amounts of cash and other electronic items.

In fact if you don't make use of it so that your insurance cannot claim negligence (is that how you spell that??)

Had a safe not open (probably my error) and security came to open it. There were two people present to use their pass tool to open and reset it.

Nothing is absolutely safe I guess but the room safe sure seems to be close. And I agree, I've left items out with no issues. The biggest problem is probably with other passengers and not crew but that's just my opinion.

Den

I'm another person who has never had a problem with the safety of the safe. On my last cruise, my husband and I booked some expensive, private tours for Egypt and Isreal with payment expected in cash. I think we had around $4000 in dollars and euros in the safe as well as passports, credit cards, jewelry, and my computer. We were in port overnight in a couple places and stayed in a hotel since we were traveling a bit inland and didn't want to waste travel time returning to the ship. We left cash, a couple of our credit cards, jewelry, and the computer in the safe when we were off the ship. We informed our cabin steward that we would be gone so if he were a dishonest type (HE WAS NOT!!!!!), that would have been the perfect opportunity to test the safe. No problems.

I have never been on a cruise ship so please bear with me if this seems dumb. Is it safe to use the safe in your stateroom when you are off the ship? I have rarely used safes in hotel rooms because I was nervous about their security.

We also never had a problem with a safe onboard. Always keep all valuables in it-with any incident- Never had anything stolen in the cabin either-

I always use the the safe and have never had a problem.....unless you count when I almost left my stuff in the safe at the end of the cruise :eek:

LOL -- we always worry about that one, too -- last morning is such a ZOO!

Just for peace of mined, we put a big sticky note reminder on the mirror, right before we go to bed. :cool:

Just be sure that you have completely closed and locked the safe before leaving your cabin.

I have done that more than once (left the safe door wide open). Came back with the safe door wide open... room all cleaned up and nothing missing. I Leave my iPad out so I can use it as a picture frame for slideshows never ever thought that it would go missing.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I left my main wallet in the hotel safe before a cruise. Noticed just as we were checking in at the port. One expensive taxi ride later, wallet found ( still in the safe - in a awkward corner) and returned to the ship.

Panic over!

In answer to the question, maybe we have been lucky, but in thirty plus years of using them we have never had anything taken. Even when ( in Florida) I left the safe open and all our cash etc in it!

We have never had a problem with the safes - we always start off the cruise putting everything away in the safe but by the end of the cruise our camera, phone, iPad etc are all left out in the room and we have never had anything stolen.

Same here have never locked up the ipad nor the camera, for one I could not get everything it the small safe. We've never had anything come up missing! I use the safe for wallet, passport, and jewlery.

I remember a few years ago someone posted that he had left a large sum of cash in his safe. He said he came back to the cabin later and the cash was all gone. He reported the theft to Celebrity. He was very angry in his post because Celebrity refused to do anything about it. There was no way he could prove the cash had actually been in the safe. He swore the safe was locked and that his cabin was locked, so felt that a crew member must have been responsible for the theft.

The lesson that I took away from that was to never leave anything in the safe that isn't insured or that I can't afford to lose. I do leave a few semi-valuable things in there, but nothing that I can't afford to replace.

One thing to be careful of is to not set anything on top of the safe too far back on the safes on the M class ships as it could fall off the back. As high as they are it is almost impossible to reach around the back of them. They need to put a false wall behind them to keep things from falling behind them.