games already at customs?

just off the allure today, had a great time. but need an answer to this. we had only 2 custom agents down stairs checking the US side and 2 doing non US is this how it was for the recent past cruises, there are at least 4 closed on each side.

First of all, no officers have been furlouged yet. They must give 30 days notice, so no mandated days off until at least April.

I came off the Allure two weeks ago, around 9 a.m., before the government failed their employees on Friday by not making a deal work, and it was the same. Two officers on each side. It was the slowest I've ever seen that terminal operate, but nonetheless there is no game playing by CBP.

It could be worse. Back in September of last year, long before any talk of furloughs, we experienced a 2 hour delay in getting off the Oasis because none of the customs agents showed up for work on time. The explanation we got is that there was some sort of scheduling confusion. Eh, it happens.

Hope it all resolves soon... we are booked on Oasis in Sept and had no choice but to book a 1:20 p.m. return flight--usually prefer something a bit later. Guess we'll have to see how it works in the future..... maybe they can divert some of that foreign aid to the U.S. ports!!!

Recently off Oasis (same terminal as Allure) and there were 4 lines for US and 1 line for non-US. It was the longest disembarcation we have ever had. we had 10am disembarcation, did not get called to exit the ship till 11 and it was over 1 hour in the non-US line. The US line was about a 35 minute wait (we had friends in that line) Even the Immigration officer couldn't answer why they do it this way as they are not doing finger prints/pictures for non-US visitors upon return from a closed loop cruise. all they are doing is reviewing your customs form.

But, that's the way the US immigration/customs operates, no rhyme or reason and no explanations. Even the port workers/RCI reps had incorrect info - telling us it is different lines because the customs forms are different for US and non-US. What?? Not the case. Even walk-offs, unless they had left at 7, were having delays. And yes, there were lots of people who had missed their flights as they were booked at 10 or 11, or even noon. Those with RCI booked flights were getting assistance. It was a mess.

We have done Oasis several times and for whatever reason, this time in Feb was simply the worst for disembarcation from any cruise, in any port. The other times it has been a breeze - 15 minutes from time to leave to out in the cab line.

So - it is a crap shoot. No way to know what it will be like next week, let alone 6 more months from now. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

First of all, no officers have been furlouged yet. They must give 30 days notice, so no mandated days off until at least April.

I came off the Allure two weeks ago, around 9 a.m., before the government failed their employees on Friday by not making a deal work, and it was the same. Two officers on each side. It was the slowest I've ever seen that terminal operate, but nonetheless there is no game playing by CBP.

Technically you're right but... They have to give 30 days notice to furlough employees but they don't have to give notice to cut overtime hours. The automatic spending cuts have caused a cut to overtime hours which will have an impact before we see an impact from furloughs. It is already casuing airport security delays.

Technically you're right but... They have to give 30 days notice to furlough employees but they don't have to give notice to cut overtime hours. The automatic spending cuts have caused a cut to overtime hours which will have an impact before we see an impact from furloughs.

It is already casuing airport security delays.

Yes and No;

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/04/travel/spending-cuts-travel/

just off the allure today, had a great time. but need an answer to this. we had only 2 custom agents down stairs checking the US side and 2 doing non US is this how it was for the recent past cruises, there are at least 4 closed on each side.

There were only 3 when I came in during December, and one guy was a chatty Cathy who seemed to be yakking away with everyone in his line. You could tell it was just chatting since he spent most of the time keeping anyone with kids extra long and there was a lot of laughing and chuckling. Eventually a supervisor of some sort went over and then the line moved faster.

We were group 19 of around 80 and we were about 45 minutes late leaving the ship and even then it was a long wait downstairs. I know right after we got off the ship they had a 45 minute delay for further groups.

After traveling the globe for a while, we usually find the the slowest border patrol service ....is right back in the good ol' US OF A:rolleyes:

Honestly, most developing nations we've visited are more organized and offer a greater feeling of security than what we experience here. Sorry exceptionalists, that just how we've experienced it!

One possibility, it's a good job in places were there is little economic opportunity, and not so much here. Not critizing individuals who work hard, but in the whole that's how it's gone!

Technically you're right but... They have to give 30 days notice to furlough employees but they don't have to give notice to cut overtime hours. The automatic spending cuts have caused a cut to overtime hours which will have an impact before we see an impact from furloughs. It is already casuing airport security delays.

The government can absorb a 3-5% cut in spending without the world coming to an end. If they say otherwise they are lying and playing political games because the politicians don't want to cut any funding, anywhere, ever.:rolleyes:

Seriously, the government is running at 100% efficiency and can't absorb ANY funding cut without cutting services at the rate the politicians are threatening?!?!??! It's all about politics and very sad.......

Funny how they always lay off the people doing the work instead of the bosses.

The only automatic cutbacks that would have worked is if on March 1, 2013 all congressional pay and health benefits ceased. Then you would have seen some real action to work on getting a budget done before then.

they get you off the ship but into a hall with rows of chairsfor you to sit in, then they will send down stairs to get your luggage one or two rows at atimeto control the line to customs. then you do the "disney snake" to custom desk. we were down stairs for 30 to 45 minutes on 3/3

So I'm confused...I've always seen on this board how efficient and quick it is to disembark Allure and Oasis. Is this slowness something new?

Embarkation is quick, probably the best, not so getting off, but it is probably still faster on a per person basis than some other ships

The government can absorb a 3-5% cut in spending without the world coming to an end. If they say otherwise they are lying and playing political games because the politicians don't want to cut any funding, anywhere, ever.:rolleyes:

Precisely! It is actually a 2% reduction in spending increases.

The fear tactics used by the administration were just that... fear tactics.

We came off the AOS in San Juan on Feb. 17 and no hitch whatsoever--actually quite fast and got to the airport much sooner than planned. However, when we came off the Oasis some 2 years ago, the lines were very slow and not have sufficient personnel to handle the crowd. The non-US line seeemed to move much faster. This was 2 years ago therefore not the result of the sequester--just wondering if this is the norm at mainland US ports or is it an FLL/Oasis/Allure issue.

does this also apply to international ports (barcelona). I would hate to schedule an 11:30 flight if there will be a problem with customs.

I am not sure what you are asking? Are you asking if U.S. Customs and Immigration process people in Barcelona. I did not think the U.S. provides Customs and Immigrations services in Europe (Barcelona)l. If U.S. customs is not in Barcelona, then ANY delay, should one occur, will happen after you land in the U.S..

In Toronto we are processed through U.S. Customs at the Toronto airport (and the other major cities in Canada as well). This is because so many of the flights are between the U.S. and Canada. We have an entire area that is separate from other international flights just for flights to the U.S.. They will not mix passengers to the U.S. with other international passengers and I do not believe that they have this setup in Europe.

We came off the AOS in San Juan on Feb. 17 and no hitch whatsoever--actually quite fast and got to the airport much sooner than planned. However, when we came off the Oasis some 2 years ago, the lines were very slow and not have sufficient personnel to handle the crowd. The non-US line seeemed to move much faster. This was 2 years ago therefore not the result of the sequester--just wondering if this is the norm at mainland US ports or is it an FLL/Oasis/Allure issue.

When we were on the maiden voyage of the Allure there was a lot of non-U.S. people on the ship which really backed things while the U.S. line was almost empty. They decided to move the Canadians over to the U.S. citizen line. This happened just as we were getting into the non-U.S. line. Then next May on the Allure we went through the non-U.S. line as there were far fewer non-U.S. citizens. It was my impression that they look at the lines and make decisions on the fly.

After traveling the globe for a while, we usually find the the slowest border patrol service ....is right back in the good ol' US OF A:rolleyes:

Honestly, most developing nations we've visited are more organized and offer a greater feeling of security than what we experience here. Sorry exceptionalists, that just how we've experienced it!

One possibility, it's a good job in places were there is little economic opportunity, and not so much here. Not critizing individuals who work hard, but in the whole that's how it's gone!

I agree with you on that.

But if I could just get one person to properly use the term American Exceptionalism (and all the variants) my job here would be done. It does not mean we are the best (as it sounds). It is the concept that we have a unique obligation to spread democracy throughout the world.

In my experience the slowest border entry was going into UK. :eek:

Archived