Great items to take on your cruise

gumboroux

Okay, so this is kind of gross, but PooPourri. You are in a really small space and airflow is not the best. If you don't know what PooPourri is, google it and make sure you watch the commercials. They are hysterical.

I was visiting my brother a while back an he had something similiar called

"corporal crap". hee hee

Wow thanks for letting me know about the serendipity luggage tag holders! I acutally found some on ebay at very reasonable prices!

Its such a hassle trying to find ways to connect the paper tags to your luggage!

You learn a lot on Cruise Critic! : - )

I use sheets of peel and stick 8 12/X11 label paper from our stationary store. I do not peel them. Just fold them and make sure the right side is out.

Then I fold them punch a hole in the ends and use a zip tie. Because the paper is thicker it really holds well. I put them in my carry on luggage, then attach before heading to the ship. They never come off. Try it you will be amazed :D

• 6 months later...
The ziploc bags serve another purpose.

If you are doing your own excursion or going on an excursion where they don't serve meals, you can use them to bring your own food.

You can order sandwiches from room service and place them in the ziploc bags. You can then put them in an insulated tote like this one from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Raya-Insulated-Modern-Design/dp/B009SNOC36/ref=pd_sim_hg_8

This is helpful if you're going to a port where they only take local currency for food purchases or you just don't want to spend the money on food.

I thought in most places you are not permitted to take that kind of food off ship. Yes? No?

I thought in most places you are not permitted to take that kind of food off ship. Yes? No?

Although one can "getaway with it". It is a big no no.

There have been some pretty heated threads on this.

I think now this will probably go in that direction.

Not a "must Bring," but I always line our suitcases with a large plastic leaf bag. That way if it is raining while boarding and the suitcases are sitting outside the clothes, etc. will not get wet.

but the silliest, yet useful item is two pieces of sturdy cardboard.

We tend to be able to find one 8x10 photo of us to purchase.....and the folder they put it in is quite flimsy...so having the cardboard keeps it quite safe and worry-free in my carry-on.

Bernadette

Deleted. Sorry. Rant on "duck tape" as opposed to "duct tape". My bad. I'm very tired and my back is hurting a lot. I'll try to be nice and not so crabby.

Edited by Thrak

I read somewhere that you need to take a small shelf to use in the shower. I found a product called gotoob that is a 2 oz container that has a suction cup on the bottle that sticks to the shower tub! I got several at BB&B.

Clorox wipes- I am not usually paranoid about germs but do not relish being sick on the cruise.

Purex 3 in 1 sheets- Someone suggested this and it makes sense to me if you do laundry.

A chill attitude!

I use the Clorox wipes and the Purex 3 in 1 sheets! They work great!

What I got for the shower is a mesh holder with 3 pockets and suction cups.

I take a highlighter and use it on the Patters and use it for Bingo.

I take a night light that plugs into the socket in the bathroom. It has an on and off switch, and I just turn it off during the day. Gives off a soft light when getting up in the middle of the night.

I purchased clear luggage tags from Serendipity to slip my Princess luggage tags into...they had those with a mesh/suction cup/shower caddy for just a little more money, and I've actually enjoyed using the shower caddy.

It's about the size of an 8 1/2 by 11 piece of paper. 3 pockets that will hold medium size shampoos, etc.

I also take a travel alarm clock (and wear a watch)

Purex did stop making the 3n1's - but, I've been able to find them online at Amazon and a few others. I assume they will eventually run out of them to sell. LOL

Hi Reba!! I have all the same stuff and use it all the time!

My alarm clock has a built in light....so if I get up in the middle of the night, I pick it up and the light comes on and I use it like a flash light! It also has an "always on" mode.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but if you have multiple electronic devices that need to be charged (camera, iphone, laptop, etc.) I would recommend picking up a cheap power strip. I usually carry the kind I find for $2 at hardware store sales. That way if the bags are full at the end of the trip if can just be left behind.

Would agree with others here that a supply of $1 bills is also very handy. :)

Using the power strip mention above try this.

All our cameras, phones, tablets and so on can charge from a USB power source as well as their own AC battery chargers. I bought a very small 3 AC outlet wall plug that also has 2 USB charging outlets that I found on ebay for $20.00. Now we can charge every gadget we bring from just one wall plug. We also bring three (about three inches long) extension cord 'pig tails' to plug the odd shaped battery charger 'wall warts' into. This little 5 outlet gadget allows us to charge 5 electronic pieces while we sleep - all at the same time. Pack this device, the shortest cables you'll need plus your AC 'wall wart' chargers and never be caught with a dead battery again.

Here's a power strip that I would recommend.

image.jpg1_zps269cproo.jpg

It's a Belkin 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports, 5 Charging Outlets Total (1 AMP / 5 Watt) available on Amazon. You have 2 USB ports plus the A/C plugs. You can swivel the plug to fit in any directions.

I also take refrigerator magnets as the walls are mental behind and you can use them to hang up any documents.

If you have an I Pad there is an clock app that is handy to use at night and since you can adjust the brightness it acts like a night light.

Tom😎

It's a Belkin 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports, 5 Charging Outlets Total (1 AMP / 5 Watt) available on Amazon. You have 2 USB ports plus the A/C plugs. You can swivel the plug to fit in any directions.

Tom😎

Tom, I, too, have used this same device - until I read an article noting that surge protectors are not to be used on ships due to the danger of fire. There is a good reference to this here:

http://www.omao.noaa.gov/noaafleetinspection/safety_alerts/Surge%20Suppressors%20USCG%20Safety%20Alert%20April%202013.pdf

This report made me look around for a better device, and I found this:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F9YN2M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

It lacks the USB ports, but has 4 usable AC outlets with room for up to 4 'wall-warts' and NO surge protection.

At least MY stateroom may not go up in flames :)

You are right, you cannot remove food from the ship. Factory packaged food is okay such as mini boxes of cereal though.

Things we must bring - and some of these things may be repetitive:

- Extension cords. Good for taking ipads out to the balcony and for plugging up alarm clock at night on the newer ships. Also obviates the need for a power strip.

- corkscrew

- DayQuil and NyQuil - we seem to be very susceptible to colds on ships and were once on a ship, fondly caused the plague ship, and these pills cost a dollar each. Also any other over the counter and prescription meds you may need. We load up our pill minders.

- lanyards - we go the pursers desk immediately and get holes punched, so we don't lose our cruise cards again. My husband likes to wear sports coats and it seems that whenever he needs his cruise card, it's in the sixth pocket he has looked in.

- post it notes - just a few.

- glasses repair kit. Takes up virtually room and my husband's glasses fall apart are very inconvient times. A few Princesx ships sell them, but I wouldn't count on it.

- it's a personal preference, but I take my own shampoo and conditioner.

- I am also thinking, although we have not done this before of bringing an insulated coffee cup for my husband since he often likes to get extra coffee before some kind of entertainment. Also thinking about duct tape in case our zippers fail.

- love the serendipity luggage tags. Once we were sailing out of Fort Lauderdale in the rain, and one of our luggage tags was barely hanging on by the time it got to our room.

- also nice to take a small clock with largish digital numbers. It's easy to lose track of time on a ship although should probably figure out how to use an iPad for this.

- and lastly, I always makes copies of our passports and credit cards. Remember, if you are going to be out of the country and plan to use debit/credit cards, you need to call your credit card providers. Otherwise they may think you are being scammed and reject your charges or even cancel your cards.

I also take refrigerator magnets as the walls are mental behind and you can use them to hang up any documents.

If you have an I Pad there is an clock app that is handy to use at night and since you can adjust the brightness it acts like a night light.

Tom

Thank you Tom, I just bought one on Ebay.