Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

^^^Actually, that looks like a gorilla to me...;)

That's exactly what I thought , till I saw the fish. Then I realized it was a Bear.

Our "From Afar" aka "Magenta Bear" is growing on me too. Always liked the Bear, it's the color that I am slowly coming around to.

Denise

I just arrived here in Lake Tahoe, CA and catching up with all the amazing pictures posted and details since the float out. Very, very cool indeed. Also glad to see that some of our favorite photographers for Cruise Ships photos are back showing Quantum Class photos.

One thing which drives me up the wall is that the windows on the front of the ship aren't symmetrical :mad:

I was excited to see the more covered structure with the slats on her forward facing superstructure in the renderings... I think it would have looked cool and futuristic. I'm sad they defaulted to the somewhat standard look of all the other Royal ships since Radiance class.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by CapitalKyle

Anyone else notice some of the oddities now that she's out and being photographed.

• In photos of her bow near the water you can see that the hull area around the bow thrusters on the starboard side is a different color than everywhere else. Since it's the area below the waterline it will likely not be repainted so it appears to be something they did not finish. The photos of the port side do not seem to show the same thing or else it's just harder to see becaue of the shadow.
  • The pods on the SeaPlex are now painted to match the hull as well as the SeaPlex windows rather than white like in the concept art and the rest of the SeaPlex.
  • The railings have a new design. Instead of the bars (most ships) or solid glass (Oasis class) they have single panes of glass with gaps in between as well as thin blue panes that light up. Not sure if this is to allow wind and water through but it certainly is a change.
  • There are two vents or openings on the roof of Two70 below the Loft Suites.
  • The glass on the foreword top decks do not seem as high as in the concept art.

Anyone else notice oddities or changes?

Good eye and interesting observation. With respect to the color difference I would have thought they would have done the touch-up when she was still in the dry dock and around the time the anchor and chain were set. Maybe they still can do it.

^^^Actually, that looks like a gorilla to me...;)

That's exactly what I thought , till I saw the fish. Then I realized it was a Bear.

Our "From Afar" aka "Magenta Bear" is growing on me too. Always liked the Bear, it's the color that I am slowly coming around to.

Denise

I'm pretty sure that's a gorilla. :)

The Art of the Ship . . .

Many ships have interesting works of art, even antiques, incorporated into the vessel’s décor. But in keeping with the Celebrity style ethos, Constellation boasts an unusual number of contemporary graphics and sculpture. For example, a huge gorilla glowers across the pool deck adding an unusual artistic gravitas to this playful area

I just arrived here in Lake Tahoe, CA and catching up with all the amazing pictures posted and details since the float out. Very, very cool indeed. Also glad to see that some of our favorite photographers for Cruise Ships photos are back showing Quantum Class photos.

Where in tahoe? North? south?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm pretty sure that's a gorilla. :)

The Art of the Ship . . .

Many ships have interesting works of art, even antiques, incorporated into the vessel’s décor. But in keeping with the Celebrity style ethos, Constellation boasts an unusual number of contemporary graphics and sculpture. For example, a huge gorilla glowers across the pool deck adding an unusual artistic gravitas to this playful area

Ok so it's a gorilla. Whatever!! The point is that there are other ships with large art pieces on the outer decks.

Edited by eroller

They're not wasting any time...the big photo shows the funnel top being installed already...

I posted a few screen grabs a couple of pages back of them lifting it off the ground and swinging it around. ;)

I read somewhere she is doing a 180 turn tomorrow to test the thrusters. Is this correct?

When are sea trials gonna start?

As mentioned earlier, it's roughly 6 weeks after they float the ship out of the builders shed before the Ems River conveyance. Turning the ship 180 degrees serves a few purposes: testing the engines and thrusters, installation of the starboard side lifeboats, and the ship must be in the 'stern first' orientation for the conveyance.

They have lots to do to outfit the ship and complete a lot of the interior before she departs Papenburg. Once she leaves there's no going back. But she won't be outfitted completely as to keep her draft as shallow as possible for the 12+ hour trip to Eemshaven. She'll likely spend a couple of days there before proceeding into the North Sea for sea trials.

They'll finish her outfitting in Eemshaven and stock the ship there before she is handed over and departs for her first revenue port of departure.

:D

Ok so it's a gorilla. Whatever!! The point is that there are other ships with large art pieces on the outer decks.

Hi Ernie,

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Quantum of the Seas now that she's exposed and we've had a pretty good look at her on the outside.

Hi Ernie,

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Quantum of the Seas now that she's exposed and we've had a pretty good look at her on the outside.

A little anti-climatic actually. If anything seeing her exposed in full form has made me realize how similar the design is to the Solstice Class. Not bad looking by any means, but nothing earth shattering and no real surprises. As I mentioned earlier in the thread lots of similarities between the various new classes … Solstice; Quantum; Royal Princess; and Breakaway. They all look more alike than different and all trace their design roots back to the Solstice Class. They are all highly efficient maximizing every inch of space, improved fuel economy with decreased emissions, and environmentally friendly of course. QUANTUM really takes it to a new level with 8 full decks of balcony cabins between the promenade deck and pool deck. So far 7 decks of balcony cabins has been the max with this design. Unfortunately they keep figuring out ways to add more decks of cabins without compromising stability but the topside deck space remains static. More pax crammed into essentially the same topside deck space. It won't be a problem on my crossing but on a sea day in the Caribbean I can only imagine how crowded the pool decks will be. It's a problem on all the new mega-ships and I think it's only getting worse.

I do like the bow on QUANTUM quite a bit and it's a huge improvement over the Solstice, Royal Princess, and Breakaway Class of ships. It's more like the Disney Dream class … pronounced, not stubby, and sweeping. I also like the hull color. I really don't care for it on the Oasis Class, but it looks quite good on QUANTUM.

What I'm most excited about is the interior. Lots of innovation and plenty of spaces that haven't been revealed yet. I'm booked on the maiden crossing in November and I'm getting more excited about it. It was a true bargain and to top it off Royal Caribbean gave me a very generous complimentary upgrade. Can't beat that!

I'm booked on the maiden crossing in November and I'm getting more excited about it.

THANKS for synopsis. One thing I'm still wondering about is how the Two70 room will do when the ship is cruising at speed. I'm sure the engines are mounted on shock absorbers, but I cant help but think back to Celebrity Galaxy and the way the dining rooms were so 'noisy' from the ambient vibrations coming up from the engine room. ;)

And it does seem to be a design issue with the topside pool spaces getting smaller, and the promenade decks disappearing on some ships.

It will be interesting to see the final reveals between now and her Maiden Voyage, and I do wish you were doing a Live thread, but we'll probably have to wait after your return to get what I am sure will be an outstanding photo album.

Edited by dmwnc1959

I'm sure the engines are mounted on shock absorbers, but I cant help but think back to Celebrity Galaxy and the way the dining rooms were so 'noisy' from the ambient vibrations coming up from the engine room. ;)

The vibrations are mainly caused by propeller shafts (Galaxy / now "Mein Schiff"), which is one of the reasons newer ships, incl. Quantum, have there propellers on pods beneith the hull/stern. The so called azipods house an electric motor and can be turned 360° allowing maximum maneuverability. Vibrations are significantly reduced because there is no drive shaft or gears.

Vibrations should not be a problem with Two70°...

in theory ;)

The vibrations are mainly caused by propeller shafts (Galaxy / now "Mein Schiff"), which is one of the reasons newer ships, incl. Quantum, have there propellers on pods beneith the hull/stern. The so called azipods house an electric motor and can be turned 360° allowing maximum maneuverability. Vibrations are significantly reduced because there is no drive shaft or gears.

Vibrations should not be a problem with Two70°...

in theory ;)

Very much appreciate the info. I'm still thinking back to when I saw pictures of Royal Princess in dry dock and seeing her shafts and propellers, momentarily forgetting that some lines choose azipods instead and how it affects vibration. RCI probably did a lot of scientific investigation before they decided on putting Two70° where it is.