WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

one day its going to be like Princess and p&o australia they are going to include the tips in with the fare and no one can cancel them

I don't know about P&O, but I have heard of people who cancel tips on Princess.

Edited by suzyed

Why do tipping posts get so ugly.Since we don't know who is telling the truth about how they tip, what is the use of going over and over the same nastiness.Personally,we give our cabin steward $500,00.00 and our waiters $50,000.00 each.

How about that? We do too!! Thought we were the only one who did that! :rolleyes:

We are sailing in two weeks.

We have always considered the pre-pay tips a part of the cruise cost.

In addition when someone goes above and beyond the call of duty, we give an additional tip of recognition.

We take our own envelope and note cards.

It is just what we do.

Sea Ya

Cabin attendants, waiters and asst waiters have a job to perform. I wish that they were paid for that job (out of cruise cost) and tips were really for exceptional service. The incentive would still be there for them to provide that.

My $.02

Jim M

Cabin attendants, waiters and asst waiters have a job to perform. I wish that they were paid for that job (out of cruise cost) and tips were really for exceptional service. The incentive would still be there for them to provide that.

My $.02

Jim M

Strange as it may seem, I agree with this. However, the culture of tipping is deep rooted and would still be expected, even if they are on a good living wage.

Strange as it may seem, I agree with this. However, the culture of tipping is deep rooted and would still be expected, even if they are on a good living wage.

Agreed, but there would be no expected tip due to Royal Caribbean "guidelines" so it would really be based on the service they provide. BTW, I am a tipper, but even in a land restaurant I base it on level of service.

Me too! We always prepay our tips and then add extra at the end of the cruise. No difference than going out to dinner and tipping at the end of our meal.

It's totally different! Unless you prepay your tips at a restaurant? Ive never heard of this anywhere on earth!

You are tipping twice? Am I missing something?

Me too! We always prepay our tips and then add extra at the end of the cruise. No difference than going out to dinner and tipping at the end of our meal.

IT's your money,going out to diner you tip once.You are now tipping twice.Just saying,have a great next cruise. :)

It's totally different! Unless you prepay your tips at a restaurant? Ive never heard of this anywhere on earth!

You are tipping twice? Am I missing something?

Yes. Many restaurants in Europe include a "service charge."

Even in the US, many restaurants automatically add a tip for parties of six or more, and some add the gratuity no matter the number of guests. It is at the diner's discretion to add more.

The one thing that confuses me about the western world is the sense of entitlement. I really don't get it... and this is coming from someone who lives in the western world.

Don't think of it as entitlement, but as a different manner off accounting.

Yes. Many restaurants in Europe include a "service charge."

Even in the US, many restaurants automatically add a tip for parties of six or more, and some add the gratuity no matter the number of guests. It is at the diner's discretion to add more.

Many? Percentage terms its very small. Sometimes there is a cover charge for olives bread etc

If a restaurant adds auto gratuities for large parties over here that's all they are expecting and it's usually 10%. They do it because they realise that they will sometimes get stiffed a little as many don't tip the full 10%

No need to tip more......but you can if you want......

But you don't pre pay and then tip more......never......

up to 400 people out of 3, 4, 5000 isn't a lot.

I don't really get the obsession people have with what other people do or what the crew makes. If the cruise line really wanted to stop it they could simply make it a non removable service charge but clearly they want to leave it up to the discretion of each guest. And per your own post, they said more people pay now than before. Unless it becomes mandatory there will always be people that remove tips. That is the risk you take when accepting a tipped position. No different that a server at your local restaurant. Every table does not tip. It's just the way it works. It's not my business how other people chose to spend their money.

Up to 400 people out of 3, 4, 5000 isn't a lot.

I don't really get the obsession people have with what other people do or what the crew makes. If the cruise line really wanted to stop it they could simply make it a non removable service charge but clearly they want to leave it up to the discretion of each guest. And per your own post, they said more people pay now than before. Unless it becomes mandatory there will always be people that remove tips. That is the risk you take when accepting a tipped position. No different that a server at your local restaurant. Every table does not tip. It's just the way it works. It's not my business how other people chose to spend their money.

BeachChik, you're my hero today. Between this and your post on the sanitizer thread, I applaud you. Kudos. :)

My buddy is on the AOS at the moment and has a friend in GS.

On the current AOS sailing at 11.59pm last night (9 days into the 12 day cruise) 124 people (not staterooms) had asked for all gratuities to be removed from their Seapass accounts. His friend at GS said they also expect more people to request this tommorrow (the last day before disembarkation) as people tend to do it last minute as they assume their stateroom attendant/waiter/asst waiter won't find out (that's shocking and dishonest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - that makes my blood boil :mad:)

Interestingly she did say that despite this happening with sometimes up to 400 passengers per cruise, there are now a lot more gratuities being paid than under the old system. Many more people would not pre-pay gratuities and then not pay anything in cash while on the cruise under the old way of administering gratuities. She said the worst cruises for this used to be the 6 day Caribbean sailings.

WOW ! :eek:

If the cruise lines would just include the gratuities in the price of the cruise (as some do) this would no longer be a problem.

BeachChik, you're my hero today. Between this and your post on the sanitizer thread, I applaud you. Kudos. :)

Haha! :) my hubby would say I just cant not debate when I feel people are incorrect.

Edited by BeachChik