Summit - Recent AQ Cabin Experience - Deck 9 vs Deck 11

BamaD

I've scoured the threads on Summit AQ cabins. Many posts are directed at the not-yet-refurbished deck 9 cabins. I'm pretty sure that was completed in late 2012.

Are there remaining issues with deck 9 as compared to deck 11? I know there is an AQ2/deck 9 overhang issue. When I look at deck 11, there seems to be almost no overhang at all. Its like your sliding door is 'right out in the elements.'

Does anyone have any feedback good or bad on deck 9/deck 11 AQ cabins?

What makes deck 11 qualify as AQ1?

I'm booking Tuesday. All the "aft" cabins are gone, as well as "9038." Any help would be appreciated.

Susan

Hi Susan,:) the cabins were actually updated in January 2012:)

(Very early in the year..rather than late in the year).

CAPS? For the title of your thread? Just press your CAPS LOCK key

on your keyboard (if you are on a keyboard;)). Can't help if you

are using a SmartPhone....I don't have one.

And hopefully some folks who have been in AQ on her will help you

with the cabin questions:D

We were on Deck 11 in the new cabins on Summit about 9 months ago. Really liked the location. A short walk down the stairs to the Sunset bar as well as the buffet. While there are a few cabins on Deck 9 that are not problematic, many definitely have noise issues from, pools, gym and dining areas above on Deck 10. We were on Connie in a cabin below the whirlpool several years ago and after the cruise, decided that never again would we pick a cabin under the Lido deck on any cruise ship.

We were on Deck 11 in the new cabins on Summit about 9 months ago. Really liked the location. A short walk down the stairs to the Sunset bar as well as the buffet.

edgee - Were you bothered at all by the "very short overhang" off the balcony? What cabin did you have?

We were in room 1132 on the Summit in May. The overhang is minimal and is rather high so the balcony has no real cover.

This was not a problem for us. And as another poster has indicated, the back stairs take you right to the Sunset Bar and from there it's easy access to the buffet if you want to grab a bite to eat. We liked being on Deck 11 as the open deck forward of those Aqua class cabins was like a super highway to the rest of the ship - it was very easy to get around.

The best feature of the location of these cabins is that they are very quiet. It's unlikely that passengers who don't have rooms in that section would be walking in the corridors. We'd book another AQ on Deck 11 in a heartbeat.

We were on deck 11 last fall. We liked it for the following reasons...

VERY quiet. Since the number of cabins is limited there is very little through traffic and there is also no noise from above.

Close to buffet

No overhang. We find the overhang on 9 to be more of an annoyance than a benefit.

The cabin as all new as opposed to being a refurbished one. Some cabins on 9 have issues with the condition of the bathroom since they were not refurbished to the same level that the cabins were.

We'd book 11 again without question.

I was in 1113 in May. The balcony wasn't as nice as the sweet 16 we had on a prior cruise but the overhang wasn't an issue. The corridor was very quiet. In my opinion, the best part of the aqua class experience was dining in Blu.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were on the Millennium (Summit's sister ship with identical layout) for 37 days in April / May. Another couple we cruise with frequently was booked in the Aquaclass cabins on deck 11. They were switched out to a Concierge and then a Sky Suite because they hated the Deck 11 cabins. The balcony had NO overhang. The bathroom has a heating element behind the mirror (to prevent fogging) and kept the bathroom WAY TOO HOT for them. They had other complaints as well.

As for Deck 9, I refuse to book a cabin under the buffet or pool deck. We have had cabins there before and been woken up with noise during the night!!!

Thank you all - Such good information that I had not seen before: no traffic, completely new vs refurbished cabins. Other reviewers have loved the stairs to the Sunset Bar and buffet.

I'm a little worried about the 'no overhang' situation. To me the overhang makes the cabin feel larger, kind of sumptuous. I know that is a weird, totally personal preference:rolleyes:!

The noise situation scares me. Can any 9th-deckers weigh in?

Did everyone have a good stateroom attendant situation?

Edited by BamaD

My wife and I both loved our cabin, but the balcony was almost "unusable" because there is absolutely NO shade whatsoever. If that doesn't bother you, then the location is great and I had no problems with noise, even though were were right by the elevator.

I looked at deck 11 but I was thinking it may be noisy from the activities on the deck itself plus the noise from deck 10 coming up. We are in an AQ on deck 9 just about mid ship. We have been in a similar location on deck 9 on RCCL Rhapsody of the Sea and we weren't bothered by any noise during the night or day. Now I'm kind of wondering if I should move us. :)

I had a Deck 9 AQ cabin under the buffet. I liked the overhang and didn't have noise complaints, so I did the same thing for my next cruise. I prefer more overhang to less, and my wife and I figure we're only a deck away from the pool if sunbathing is on the agenda.

edgee - Were you bothered at all by the "very short overhang" off the balcony? What cabin did you have?

We were in Cabin 1116 and liked it very much.. I have no recollection of any overhang/lack of overhang issue, but we do not spend lots of time on our balcony, so amount of overhang is not an issue for us either way.

We were in cabin 9064 on Summit, October 2012, Aqua Class, category A2. We had an overhang which was not an issue, and noise from above was not a problem at all. We also, however, regarding noise, always leave our cabin sliders open at night as we love to hear the sound of the ocean outside, Mother Nature's white noise machine. For more details, please read the review I wrote, just click on the "review" icon in my signature for our October 2012 cruise on Summit.

lexmiller -Thanks for the review. A stateroom attendant can really make or break a cruise. Opening the door the first day and finding a 'less than clean' room would really would really bring me down:(!

Did you find the refurbishment/bathroom to be well done (cleanliness aside?)

I've scoured the threads on Summit AQ cabins. Many posts are directed at the not-yet-refurbished deck 9 cabins. I'm pretty sure that was completed in late 2012.

Are there remaining issues with deck 9 as compared to deck 11? I know there is an AQ2/deck 9 overhang issue. When I look at deck 11, there seems to be almost no overhang at all. Its like your sliding door is 'right out in the elements.'

Does anyone have any feedback good or bad on deck 9/deck 11 AQ cabins?

What makes deck 11 qualify as AQ1?

I'm booking Tuesday. All the "aft" cabins are gone, as well as "9038." Any help would be appreciated.

Susan

Hi BamaD_

Just off the Summit yesterday. We were in room AQ 9131. It had an overhang and did block the sun, which turned out to be perfect for sitting on the balcony. Did not hear any noise from above, but I sure wish guests wouldn't let their doors slam when they leave their rooms at 6am. Not everyone is up and about that early. Other then that no issues at all. A terrific cruise. It was our first time in Aqua class and we loved it. Hope you do too. Have a great cruise.

Michaelc214

We also had a deck 9 AQ cabin that was under the pool deck area. (9131 sounds about right- we were just forward from the library) We didn't have any noise issues that I recall. Our cabin and bathroom were clean, and we didn't have any issues with the renovation or lack thereof. We did like the new showers, and didn't have issues with water escaping, as others have reported.

I prefer the overhang for shade, as I'm not a "sun" person. Location was great for accessing most everything- we usually always use the stairs, so it doesn't bother us to walk down four or five flights to the martini bar etc. On this trip, I was on crutches for the first day, and then walking with a cane and boot, so had to use the elevator- :(

Andrew

Blazerboy and michaelc - Thanks for the good feedback on deck 9. I think I'm going to book AQ2 for myself and DH and AQ1 for the 2 twenty-something girls.

Did anyone experience any air-conditioning problems? Ether cabin or public areas?

Susan

Edited by BamaD

Thank you all - Such good information that I had not seen before: no traffic, completely new vs refurbished cabins. Other reviewers have loved the stairs to the Sunset Bar and buffet.

I'm a little worried about the 'no overhang' situation. To me the overhang makes the cabin feel larger, kind of sumptuous. I know that is a weird, totally personal preference:rolleyes:!

The noise situation scares me. Can any 9th-deckers weigh in?

Did everyone have a good stateroom attendant situation?

Have been on deck 9- Like the overhang. The cabins on deck 9 AQ were also refurbished. No noise problem or sun problem. Liked being one level from the pool and no noise or smoke . We like the extended balcony room 9038, but our August sailing will be in 9040 because 9038 was booked. No smoke issue- or noise as it is in the corner of the adult pool near the spa. Also a2 category is cheaper pp. No excessive movement in the cabin.

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by Cruise a holic

Just off the Infinity and had cabin AQ 1107. We were in an outside cabin for the first 11 nights and then moved up to AQ for the last 10. Here is my take on it:

--very little overhang on the balcony, but that was a real plus visiting the Fjords.

--brand new cabin, with great bed, new everything.

--loved the heated mirror, as it didn't fog up.

--better and more responsive A/C control.

--two piece shower door; great idea, but really poor design -- large amounts of water would leak out on to the floor. We would pick up an extra pool towel and lay it down between the floor rug (yes it has a rug) and the shower. Our cabin person said it was true of most of the cabins she cleaned, so she was use to it. She thanked us for putting a towel down.

--did seem like this cabin was maybe four or five inches narrower than a standard balcony cabin. Narrow area between bed and the mirrored wall.

--our door faced the area around the elevators -- we were worried about the noise, but never heard a thing. In fact, there is a nice little sitting area just outside the door where you could hang out.

--same Aqua Class shower heads as the Solstice class ships.

--very quiet area of the ship. Outside doors have "industrial" grade door closing unit, so no "slamming" of doors.

--aft stairs are very very shallow and steep. No problem for us, but some may find it difficult.

--halls, cabins have the best A/C on the ship.

--They did a great job of "inserting" an enclosed Blu on the port side of the upper dining room, without stealing too much of that part of upper area.

Would book this area of the ship in a heart beat!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Edited by kelmac

We been on both deck 9 and 11.

If you want sun and wind and exposure to the elements take the cabins on deck 11.

If you want shade and protection from the elements it is deck 9.

Deck 9 is more convient to the Spa, not a issue.

The cabins on deck 9 weren't really totally refurbished. a few things were changed to make them AQ such as the shower panel.

The new cabins are made to look like the old cabins on 9, but they have a better sliding door.

The aft cabins on 11 have the largest balconies and overhangs. These are the best ones to get.

We hardly used the balcony on 11 because it was either too windy, cold, or raining during our Bermuda cruise in May. We had the starboard side and the HVAC system didn't work the first 2 days and last 2 days for the whole bank of cabins. It was freezing cold in our cabin leaving NY and in Bermuda it worked fine than quit working again on the last two days. We actually left the light on in the bathroom for the heat from the heated mirror. Everyone along that side was complaining and the maintenance people were constantly working on it in the hallway.

As mentioned our shower leaked like a sieve, we stocked up on towels from the pool to hold back the water and mop it up.

Depends on what you like, shade or sun and the elements. Wouldn't pay much extra for deck 11 unless it was a aft balcony.

Edited by miched

lexmiller -Thanks for the review. A stateroom attendant can really make or break a cruise. Opening the door the first day and finding a 'less than clean' room would really would really bring me down:(!

Did you find the refurbishment/bathroom to be well done (cleanliness aside?)

Hi, BamaD, yes, the bathroom was great, and no water leakage at all in our shower; since the cruise on Summit this past October, I have been on 3 more Celebrity cruises - based upon our experiences on those, as well as the cruises prior in standard veranda - we can say with certainty that that stateroom attendant was an anomaly (unfortunate for us that he was on our first cruise in Aqua!) - I wrote a wicked scathing review of him on board, and I would bet that he is no longer with the fleet. Funny that although he was so bad, we loved Blu so much - the flexibility it affords, the food quality, the intimacy especially on M Class ships - that Aqua Class is absolutely our favorite class to cruise.

• 1 year later...
I was in 1113 in May. The balcony wasn't as nice as the sweet 16 we had on a prior cruise but the overhang wasn't an issue. The corridor was very quiet. In my opinion, the best part of the aqua class experience was dining in Blu.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm booked in cabin 1113 next March.....

Do you know if the sofa makes a sofa bed or is there storage under it? Do you know if the sofa s the same style as M class sofas, or is it the mor modern vinyl like one on S class (since the cabins are newly installed on M class).

I'm booked in cabin 1113 next March.....

Do you know if the sofa makes a sofa bed or is there storage under it? Do you know if the sofa s the same style as M class sofas, or is it the mor modern vinyl like one on S class (since the cabins are newly installed on M class).

The sofa is identical to the others on the M-class ships. The new cabins look exactly like the older ones on deck 9...but you are bringing back a thread from 2013.

Edited by ghstudio