10.52 flight out of San Juan?

Vaux

Hello,

If we carry our own luggage, what time do you think we are out of the terminal? Summit arrives at 6 am. Haven't booked that flight yet but it would be by far the fastest way (1 stop) back to Europe. Too risky perhaps?

Thanks again!

Vaux

It will depend on how many ships are in port that day. Certainly do online check in - you can print boarding pass at the terminal. but the hangup in San Juan is agriculture inspection. You have to have all your bags run through an inspecting machine and get a sticker on them before you can check in, or if you did the online checkin, get your checked bags turned in. Then you go through security. That early would make me nervous. EM

Seems very early to me OP, but good luck.

It will depend on how many ships are in port that day. Certainly do online check in - you can print boarding pass at the terminal. but the hangup in San Juan is agriculture inspection. You have to have all your bags run through an inspecting machine and get a sticker on them before you can check in, or if you did the online checkin, get your checked bags turned in. Then you go through security. That early would make me nervous. EM
I'm not sure if the agriculture inspection is an issue for those not continuing to the US.

Heading to Canada ,we did not have to go through this step and not sure if Vaux will have to do this.

We're doing the same cruise in November and our flight home to Toronto is at 4:00pm....way too late, but everything else was very early morning and we just couldn't chance it.

I would think a flight leaving around noon or a bit later would be no problem for you.

We're doing the same cruise in November and our flight home to Toronto is at 4:00pm....way too late, but everything else was very early morning and we just couldn't chance it.

I would think a flight leaving around noon or a bit later would be no problem for you.

We also had a 4ish flight to Toronto. Celebrity offers a couple of tours that combine a tour with drop-off

at the airport plus they hold your luggage for you. We took the El Yunque Rain Forest tour .

Although we had bus issues, it was a good tour and well worth it and arrived at the airport with plenty of time.

They also offer a similar Bacardi tour. The price was pretty reasonable.

San Juan Airport is one of the worst in terms of wait times and long lines. If one thing goes wrong, such as US Customs and Immigration inspection on the ship, you won't make your flight. On our last Summit cruise out of San Juan, there was a group from Italy that felt they didn't need to report for Immigration and we didn't start disembarking until 9:40.

Nowadays, you must be ON the plane 20 minutes before the flight departs. If you're not on the plane on time, they cancel your reservation.

We also had a 4ish flight to Toronto. Celebrity offers a couple of tours that combine a tour with drop-off

at the airport plus they hold your luggage for you. We took the El Yunque Rain Forest tour .

Although we had bus issues, it was a good tour and well worth it and arrived at the airport with plenty of time.

They also offer a similar Bacardi tour. The price was pretty reasonable.

Yes, we did the rain forest tour last year and the Bacardi tour the year before for exactly the same reason! We might do a repeat of the Bacardi tour in November. Flights back to Canada are either really early or really late. We were lucky and booked a nonstop with Westjet, no so bad.

We had a 10:45am flight to NY on our Summit cruise in March. We used express disembarkation, thinking we would carry our luggage off the ship, but they gave us luggage tags & we put our luggage out the night before. We were told to meet in Rendezvous Lounge at 7:20, were off the ship at 7:30, luggage collected & through customs at 8:05, & at the airport in plenty of time. One good thing about an early flight is that the airport is not as crowded as it is later, because you are among the first there. Checking bags through agriculture inspection took a few minutes. We could have easily made a 10am flight.

Having said all this, if the ship is delayed for any reason, you could be in trouble. Also, I don't know if the fact that you are not a US citizen will affect you in any way.

Enjoy your cruise!

NY is a domestic flight. The OP is trying to schedule an international flight. The check in requirements are different. Not something I would like to try to accomplish. Could you perhaps stay in Puerto Rico an extra day? This would build in time for any possible trouble along the way.

Hello,

If we carry our own luggage, what time do you think we are out of the terminal? Summit arrives at 6 am. Haven't booked that flight yet but it would be by far the fastest way (1 stop) back to Europe. Too risky perhaps?

Thanks again!

Vaux

Just to clarify, where is the ""öne" stop? The USA? Europe? Is there a plane change?

NO chance of making it. The lines are very long and you'll need to go through agriculture department verification process as well. That can take just as long as going through TSA.

I disagree with your comment of there being "NO chance" of making it. I've flown out of SJU several times and would have been able to make this flight every single time. While it's not an ideal flight time there's a very good chance the OP can make this flight.

Royal Caribbean recommends booking flights at 11am or later for SJU. Seeing as how Celebrity is owned by the same company I'd guess their recommended time is the same. Booking a flight a few minutes before the recommended time is still doable.

If the OP does online check in for their flights, carries their bags off the ship and departs as soon as the ship has cleared they will likely be fine.

The line ups at SJU are not as long in the early morning hours. The agriculture inspection has never taken me more than 10 minutes.

Hi-

I would agree you could probably make the flight, I have made an 11:30am several times (and was there early) - as long as it's not the end of a Transatlantic cruise. We took Adventure of the Seas on RCCL from Europe to San Juan, and the disembarkation was a NIGHTMARE because it was the first US port of call. This then required significantly more inspections than a normal round-trip cruise did.

Good luck!

Garren

I think you should be fine. We took an 11:15 flight home (I think I know it was before noon) and had no problem. We actually got there early and was hanging around for a bit.

I'm on the Summit 1/4/14 and received notice that my flight time was changed to 10:50AM. I'll do the self walk-off, cab over to SJU, and use priority check in for 1st/business class. At first I was a bit worried that the earlier flight time would be tight, but when I realized that the Summit docks @ 6AM, and more than likely would be arrive in port from St Thomas much earlier than that, I didn't bother to arrange a later flight.

funny, we have a 10:52 flight to nyc off the summit. I can't see how 8 minutes is going to make any difference.

When I checked in, online for the summit celebrity had a suggestion for the flight to be 11am or later :)

Anyway, we only bring carryon so it's not going to be any kind of issue.

For us, 7 nights from jersey we won't be packing much at all. SJU is quick early in the morning, it only is horrible after 11am, not before.

Unless the summit breaks down, it will be docked by 6am and we'll be off the ship by 8.

A few years ago after a Celebrity cruise we arrived at the San Juan airport to see lines that extended the width of the terminal. We had plenty of time since our flight was more than 2 hours away, however not looking forward to at least an hour or more of line jockeying I called over a "redcap" and asked what he could do for us.

He took our luggage and we followed him to an empty ticketing station where he printed out our paperwork and luggage tags. We were at security in less than 5 minutes and he was off to his next customer and his next tip.

bosco

We do this Summit cruise out of SJU every January and the problem with an early flight for us using United is that their check-in desk doesn't open until close to 10 AM! Got thru the agricultural check-in (what a joke!...gal was barely awake to look at the machine...you drag bags on and off!) in no time only to have to wait in line for the United staff to arrive for check-in. There's only one flight on United to EWK now and that's after noontime. Good luck with the early one!:)

The OP is going to Finland, right? It seems to me that the destination adds a huge measure of complexity to the problem. Where is the connection? New York? heathrow? What is the OPs airline requiring in terms of check in time? What are the options if the connection is missed? We don't really have enough information about the OPs itinerary to answer the question.

I'm on the Summit 1/4/14 and received notice that my flight time was changed to 10:50AM. I'll do the self walk-off, cab over to SJU, and use priority check in for 1st/business class. At first I was a bit worried that the earlier flight time would be tight, but when I realized that the Summit docks @ 6AM, and more than likely would be arrive in port from St Thomas much earlier than that, I didn't bother to arrange a later flight.

On similar itineraries we've been on the ship has cleared Customs & Immigration in St. Thomas because it is the first thus the entrance port into the US.

Hello,

Thanks again!

Vaux

Vaux: There just isn't a definitive answer, because there are too many variables.

An early flight is not a stress that I would want to end my cruise with.... :eek:

Archived