Please send thoughts and prayers to HAL's Filipino crew families

sppunk

I just saw a news report that they are fearing over 10,000 dead. This is so sad. :(

East Samar has entire swaths of towns gone. I know one of our favorite stewardess' has family there, I pray they had the means to evacuate.

In today's Sunday New York Times and updated on the web within the past hour, they have this headline: "Devastation Feared Across Central Philippines in Typhoon’s Wake" with these highlights: "One of the most powerful typhoons ever recorded now appears to have devastated cities, towns and fishing villages with heavy loss of life when it played a deadly form of hopscotch across the islands of the central Philippines on Friday. Barreling across palm-fringed beaches and plowing into frail homes with a force that by some estimates approached that of a tornado, but sprawling across a huge area of this far-flung archipelago, Typhoon Haiyan delivered a crippling blow to this country’s midsection. Disorder and looting over the weekend compounded the destruction. President Benigno S. Aquino III declared a 'state of calamity' in provinces encompassing islands across the breadth of the Philippines. The declaration is devised to release emergency funds from the national coffers. But those coffers have already been depleted this year by a series of other natural disasters, most notably an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2 that also struck the middle of the country four weeks ago. The first and most vocal city to cry for help over the weekend was Tacloban on Leyte Island. The typhoon left Tacloban in ruins, as a storm surge as high as 13 feet overwhelmed its streets, with reports from the scene saying that most of the houses had been damaged or destroyed in the city of 220,000. More than 300 bodies have already been recovered, said Tecson John S. Lim, the city administrator, adding that the toll could reach 10,000 in Tacloban alone. The lack of clear information about the extent of the damage raised the possibility that other areas could have been hit just as badly as Tacloban, where rescue efforts were being concentrated."

Very sad. Right now, it is still hard to appreciate how badly these areas have been hit and damaged. Lots of cruise ship staff are affected and not knowing how their families in these areas are doing, surviving.

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/11/world/asia/philippines-typhoon.html?hpw&rref=world

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 123,515 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I just saw a news report that they are fearing over 10,000 dead. This is so sad. :(

I just heard this as well Lisa. devastating!

Roy (rafinmd) has reported that Crystal has let the crew use their phones and have tried to determine how they all are. Apparently it has been established that their families are safe on his Crystal cruise.

I so hope this is true for all of the crew on HAL as well and elsewhere through the cruise industry.

Wouldn't it be nice if HAL donated the Walk for a Cause donations to aid the Philippines for a couple of weeks?

What a wonderful idea!! Hope you will officially get this suggestion to HAL. I'll bet most folks on board would donate, even if they could not do the walk.

I'm sure they could work out some arrangement for those who still wanted their donation to go for cancer research (especially for those walking in memory of family members, etc.).

Keep us posted if you hear back from HAL on this.

Wouldn't it be nice if HAL donated the Walk for a Cause donations to aid the Philippines for a couple of weeks?

What an incredible idea!!! I sincerely hope you forward this idea to HAL!! If be hard pressed to believe that there wouldn't be a passenger that wouldn't want to support this!!

does anyone know if the Amsterdam managed to avoid the typhoon ?

I can't imagine how those waters are affecting all onboard. We were in the South Pacific during the month of Feb, there were three storms the ship needed to avoid. The plane flight hope from Sydney was horrible.

Is Nov. annually typhoon weather ?

Such devastating times.

Ann J.

Imagine how hard it must be for the crew to keep working and smiling through all of this, especially when they can't reach their families.

It must be like a living hell for them but I have faith that HAL will be doing everything it can to keep them informed and help them where necessary.

It must be like a living hell for them but I have faith that HAL will be doing everything it can to keep them informed and help them where necessary.

I hope you're right. I can't imagine what a nightmare it is for those crew on board the HAL ships...and other cruise lines as well.

I just heard this as well Lisa. devastating!

Roy (rafinmd) has reported that Crystal has let the crew use their phones and have tried to determine how they all are. Apparently it has been established that their families are safe on his Crystal cruise.

I so hope this is true for all of the crew on HAL as well and elsewhere through the cruise industry.

My guess is HAL has bent over backwards finding ways to support their crew and staff members affected by this disaster. That is just the feeling one gets on HAL ships.

...might want to go beyound prayers one might consider

donating to Mathew25Ministries for our Filipino brethern.

They are an A+ rated charity and do great work with natural disasters here in the USA and abroad getting supplies to those in need.

I have nothing to do with the organization (other as a donor over the years). I'm not a big fan of some of the other over-bloated charities. I found this one many moons ago.

You can also check them out out on the charity navigator web site.

Here's a link if anyone is interested:

http://m25m.org/page.aspx?x=d618a951-88a4-48e6-8b9c-7c70c0dee535

Be well.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)