The New Celebrity Captains Club is Here!

danrad

Celebrity doesn't market B2Bs as one cruise, as far as I know. Holland America does, I've done it three times. I got one seapass card and one bill for each B2B. I didn't worry about the perks, as I have 101 days sailing with them (3Star Mariner), and they don't give anything for free at this level. Discounts on drinks and specialty dining but nothing free.

Celebrity doesn't market B2Bs as one cruise, as far as I know. Holland America does, I've done it three times. I got one seapass card and one bill for each B2B. I didn't worry about the perks, as I have 101 days sailing with them (3Star Mariner), and they don't give anything for free at this level. Discounts on drinks and specialty dining but nothing free.

YES ...HAL's 3 star kind of sucks

BRAVO! Excellent post.

Looks like you are either back from your cruise, hope you had a great time or are posting from your cruise.

I still wish you would respond to the questions that I asked:

Would you rather have the minority of your customers unhappy or the majority of your customers unhappy?

Why would it not be a problem now (since many Elites have complained for years that it is too easy to become Elite and that cruisers worked the system using short cruises to make Elite) for many to use the same short cruises to make Elite+ and Zenith?

Would you be satisfied if they made an exception for those on B2B cruises during the change, but didn't solve your issue?

Face it, Celebrity will do whatever works best for them. They changed the program abruptly and those of us who were sailing on the date of the change were credited with the new point system., which was less than the old.We were also, on that sailing, denied the new perks that the Captain Club offered - gelato, etc. and the extra internet minutes being Elite Plus brought. It is somewhat offensive, the way they pick and choose, which really did not cost me (or save the cruise line) much, but does leave a bad taste in one's mouth and prompts thousands of posts. Oh well, still booked on another Celebrity cruise and have yet to pick a cruise line on the basis of loyalty perks.

Looks like you are either back from your cruise, hope you had a great time or are posting from your cruise.

I still wish you would respond to the questions that I asked:

Would you rather have the minority of your customers unhappy or the majority of your customers unhappy?

Why would it not be a problem now (since many Elites have complained for years that it is too easy to become Elite and that cruisers worked the system using short cruises to make Elite) for many to use the same short cruises to make Elite+ and Zenith?

Would you be satisfied if they made an exception for those on B2B cruises during the change, but didn't solve your issue?

Still on the cruise and enjoying my extra Internet minutes.

Okay, I'll take the bait, but this is my final response.

1. Talked to many and think you have miss analyzed who is in the minority. Just see how this thread has developed.

2. The Elite problem needed to be solved and was under the new program. People played by the rules that Celebrity wrote and are where they are.

3. I was also on a B2b when the change was announced. I believe that Celebrity should honor the rules in place when final payments were made. Don't know how many times I need to repeat that.

Others have made the case much better than I, so I'll just let them take over FYI:yesterday I booked 5 cruises that will take me to the next level. I'll be there, just hope that others will be able to move up as well.

1. Talked to many and think you have miss analyzed who is in the minority. Just see how this thread has developed.

2. The Elite problem needed to be solved and was under the new program. People played by the rules that Celebrity wrote and are where they are.

3. I was also on a B2b when the change was announced. I believe that Celebrity should honor the rules in place when final payments were made. Don't know how many times I need to repeat that.

Others have made the case much better than I, so I'll just let them take over FYI:yesterday I booked 5 cruises that will take me to the next level. I'll be there, just hope that others will be able to move up as well.

Thank you, no bait, we were in a discussion when you left and I was just interested in your answers to the questions I posed prior to your cruise. We will still disagree, but those questions gave me a better incite as to why you were so passionate about your issues with what is wrong with Celebrity's new program.

Thank you, I guess we will have to disagree on who miss analyzed who is in the majority. You have to remember that those on cruise critic are only a very small fraction of Celebrity's customers.

I guess Celebrity has to solve the B2B issue as well as your other issue for everything to be all good. Thanks for that response.

I'm happy that you will be at the next level soon and enjoy your cruising.

I guess Celebrity has to solve the B2B issue as well as your other issue for everything to be all good.

I can't understand why you think there is a Celebrity B2B issue. :confused:

Every sailing that has its own booking number is a unique sailing as far as Celebrity's computers are concerned.

We were on 5 consecutive cruise from October 7th to December 9th.

The 5th sailing, which started on the 24th, was caught in the twilight zone.

Cruise point conversion occurred on the 23rd. Unfortunately for anyone below the suite category the new math awarded fewer points than expected. Our keycards gave us the new designation, no improved perks, but awarded fewer points. For those already in the new categories there was no perceived difference; you were Eltite when boarding and treated as Elite even though the card gave you a new designation.

The only people on board who have been unfairly treated to date are those who would have qualified for promotion to the new level but suddenly fell a few points short. As teething problems are ironed out, a letter to Miami may rectify the inequity.

If some other obsessed cruiser on a B2B2B2B2B etc had started on November 23 or 24th, would you argue that all points should have been calculated the old way?

There is no way that the program can work with many exceptions. A computer does the calculating and on the 23rd of November, the machine without emotions started counting based on the new math. Any deviation from that calculation would have to be entered by a "human interface."

Calculate all the people Celebrity would have to hire to make exceptions for everyone already in the chain to Select, Elite and + and Z. It is much easier to say no to all exceptions. They make the rules and sometimes bend them, but they still make the decisions.

Every sailing that has its own booking number is a unique sailing as far as Celebrity's computers are concerned.

Cruise point conversion occurred on the 23rd. Unfortunately for anyone below the suite category the new math awarded fewer points than expected. Our keycards gave us the new designation, no improved perks, but awarded fewer points. For those already in the new categories there was no perceived difference; you were Eltite when boarding and treated as Elite even though the card gave you a new designation.

The only people on board who have been unfairly treated to date are those who would have qualified for promotion to the new level but suddenly fell a few points short. As teething problems are ironed out, a letter to Miami may rectify the inequity.

If some other obsessed cruiser on a B2B2B2B2B etc had started on November 23 or 24th, would you argue that all points should have been calculated the old way?

There is no way that the program can work with many exceptions. A computer does the calculating and on the 23rd of November, the machine without emotions started counting based on the new math. Any deviation from that calculation would have to be entered by a "human interface."

Calculate all the people Celebrity would have to hire to make exceptions for everyone already in the chain to Select, Elite and + and Z. It is much easier to say no to all exceptions. They make the rules and sometimes bend them, but they still make the decisions.

I say that because some have complained that they got old points for the first leg and new points for the second leg and we were discussing that in your discussion.

At first I thought it would have been fair to give them old points for all legs on the B2B's since they never disembarked the ship. That is until another poster, who was obviously much brighter than me, brought up the good point that if they were getting points based on it being multiple cruises, then why would they get old points on all legs based on it being one cruise. That was something I didn't think of and I think he was correct in his assumption.

That is one of the reason I enjoy cruise critic, you can think something is right and then someone with a different way of looking at it posts and your opinion can change because of their post. Thank goodness we all don't think alike.

BTW, I don't have a dog in this fight, just voicing my opinions. I'm not on a B2B, not close to Elite+ or Zenith. I'm Select and my next cruise would have made me Elite, but under the new program it didn't (fortunately I was able to make some changes and am now in the same exact position I was prior to the change). I have no problems with the new Captain's Club and have voiced that opinion on here and to Celebrity.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Very well put, Arno.

Love your new avatar!! :D

Glad you are enjoying your cruise and also that you have booked some additional cruises that when completed will get you to your Zenith goal.

Almost certainly you are in the minority by the fact that your circumstances can only affect a minority of the overall Celebrity cruiser universe.

Many of us have expressed our views only a few times while some keep repeating their views many times.

In your case you have many Celebrity cruises, but a number of people posting have only 2 or 3 cruises.

It would appear that you continue to allow this to bother you which is your right. Most of us have just moved on and accept the fact that with all cruises starting after November 23 we will be "given" points based on the new system. Except the vocal few I believe that a vast majority realize that the implementation is not likely to be retroactively changed. As I have stated previously IMO the 30 point one time conversion for all cruises completed by November 23 was a generous gift from Celebrity. We should all be thankful whether we had one complete cruises or 200. Receiving the gift and then wanting even more of a gift is hard for most of us to appreciate, but we are not naive enough not to realize that is a "sign of our times".

Please enjoy the real reason that we cruise on Celebrity. My next one is 1/25.

Glad you are enjoying your cruise and also that you have booked some additional cruises that when completed will get you to your Zenith goal.

Almost certainly you are in the minority by the fact that your circumstances can only affect a minority of the overall Celebrity cruiser universe.

Many of us have expressed our views only a few times while some keep repeating their views many times.

In your case you have many Celebrity cruises, but a number of people posting have only 2 or 3 cruises.

It would appear that you continue to allow this to bother you which is your right. Most of us have just moved on and accept the fact that with all cruises starting after November 23 we will be "given" points based on the new system. Except the vocal few I believe that a vast majority realize that the implementation is not likely to be retroactively changed. As I have stated previously IMO the 30 point one time conversion for all cruises completed by November 23 was a generous gift from Celebrity. We should all be thankful whether we had one complete cruises or 200. Receiving the gift and then wanting even more of a gift is hard for most of us to appreciate, but we are not naive enough not to realize that is a "sign of our times".

Please enjoy the real reason that we cruise on Celebrity. My next one is 1/25.

Great post. Yes, people have to realize that Celebrity could have given us less than 30 points in the conversion or no points at all. We should be grateful for what we have and that is our health and the ability to cruise, unlike so many.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Face it, Celebrity will do whatever works best for them. They changed the program abruptly and those of us who were sailing on the date of the change were credited with the new point system., which was less than the old.We were also, on that sailing, denied the new perks that the Captain Club offered - gelato, etc. and the extra internet minutes being Elite Plus brought. It is somewhat offensive, the way they pick and choose, which really did not cost me (or save the cruise line) much, but does leave a bad taste in one's mouth and prompts thousands of posts. Oh well, still booked on another Celebrity cruise and have yet to pick a cruise line on the basis of loyalty perks.

Hi Benita, I believe you were cruising on the Nov. 30th sailing of Reflection, or am I wrong. We were on the Nov. 30th sailing of Eclipse and we received all of the new Elite Plus perks, including the gelato. :p The 200 minutes of Internet pp and the free specialty coffee were also honored, which was great. :)

Happy Holidays!

Gerry

I highlighted what IMHO I think the problem is. Either the system switched over on Nov. 23 or it switched on Nov. 25, but the "twilight zone" , as Arno so aptly put it, happened to those who unfortunately sailed in between those dates.

Hi Benita, I believe you were cruising on the Nov. 30th sailing of Reflection, or am I wrong. We were on the Nov. 30th sailing of Eclipse and we received all of the new Elite Plus perks, including the gelato. :p The 200 minutes of Internet pp and the free specialty coffee were also honored, which was great. :)

Happy Holidays!

Gerry

Hi Gerry- we were on the Reflection, which departed on Nov. 23- the twilight zone as the previous poster wrote. Points with the new system and perks of the old. Had a great time- lovely ship. We booked the 10 day sailing on the Equinox for next Thanksgiving.

I highlighted what IMHO I think the problem is. Either the system switched over on Nov. 23 or it switched on Nov. 25, but the "twilight zone" , as Arno so aptly put it, happened to those who unfortunately sailed in between those dates.

Having the two dates was bound to cause problems.

Having the two dates was bound to cause problems.

Self induced problems. Celebrity could have done what they announced on the ship and used the new system on cruises that started after Nov. 25th, the date of the announcement. They made a big deal about it while we were onboard. Or, the could have started the system immediately and started the extra benefits on the cruise. Instead, they awarded less points and gave no extra perks. My waistline thanks them for not giving me that gelato and since most of our cruise ports were part of the US, I did not need the extra internet minutes. All this was a great PR stunt- generated lots of buzz on cruise critic, but probably not the feedback they wanted.

I think they just switched the system after Nov. 25. I noticed, after the change, that my husband was not awarded any points for our 14 nights on a Royal Suite last summer. I called the CC and they gave him the new points, 168 :):) BTW, I only received 90 points for the same cruise. :(:(

Hi Gerry- we were on the Reflection, which departed on Nov. 23- the twilight zone as the previous poster wrote. Points with the new system and perks of the old. Had a great time- lovely ship. We booked the 10 day sailing on the Equinox for next Thanksgiving.

Sorry about that. We had the gelato, but that small scoop of "ice cream" was not better than the ice cream that we can get free at the buffet at noon. If Celebrity wanted to make us say "wow", they missed it. :rolleyes:

Gerry

Self induced problems. Celebrity could have done what they announced on the ship and used the new system on cruises that started after Nov. 25th, the date of the announcement. They made a big deal about it while we were onboard. Or, the could have started the system immediately and started the extra benefits on the cruise. Instead, they awarded less points and gave no extra perks. My waistline thanks them for not giving me that gelato and since most of our cruise ports were part of the US, I did not need the extra internet minutes. All this was a great PR stunt- generated lots of buzz on cruise critic, but probably not the feedback they wanted.

I think it totally flopped if it was supposed to be a PR stunt.:eek: