Think you have privacy in your cabin? - THINK AGAIN

TheSavvyTraveler

I pray you never create a "Code Alpha" situation. The delay while they break down your door could mean life or death.

[bTW I'm not condoning the Princess policy here. It does seem that passengers should be able to have a reasonable expectation of privacy. But achieving the way you suggest could put you in harm's way.]

Please explain what kind of emergency I would face by having my door secure. Like someone already stated, I would not put the security bar or wedge if I was in there by myself. If something happened to me, my soon to be wife could open the door and vice-versa. A fire or something of that sort, I expect to be awaken by the alarm.

A couple of years ago, we had the same problem. On the first day, we were exhausted. We had been on the ship numerous times, so we had no need to tour the ship. (CB out of San Juan) We had already met the room steward and had unpacked our things. We decided to "take a nap";). We put the "do not disturb" sign in the door and turned the deadbolt. Not long after, the door opened and the room steward had the sign in his hand! He said, "Did you mean to put this in the door already!!!"? I do not think he understood what the sign meant. It happened over and over all week! Crazy.

I have never had the "do not disturb" sign ignored. Have had the opposite. One day we forgot to take it away before leaving the ship for an all day shore excursion. When we returned in the late afternoon, the room had not been serviced, just like the sign requested.

On some cruise lines they have two signs, one to not disturb and the other to service the room. That takes care of the problem of someone reversing the sign. (Of course that does not stop someone from removing the sign or changing it to the other kind.)

I have never had the "do not disturb" sign ignored. Have had the opposite. One day we forgot to take it away before leaving the ship for an all day shore excursion. When we returned in the late afternoon, the room had not been serviced, just like the sign requested.

On some cruise lines they have two signs, one to not disturb and the other to service the room. That takes care of the problem of someone reversing the sign. (Of course that does not stop someone from removing the sign or changing it to the other kind.)

Last cruise we had neither tag, but found the stewards always knocked anyway.:D

I don't remember how many years ago but it was probably 7-8 years ago, I had my room steward walk into my room 2x when the deadbolt was on. One time I was dressing and another time I was sleeping. This was years before the Concordia accident. This was on a B2B cruise to Alaska with the room steward from hell. She also lost laundry that was sent out and that was never found.

So over riding the deadbolt has been available to room stewards for years, not just since the Concordia accident.

Edited by Coral

I would think that Security might need an override for the case of an emergency, but the number of people who can enter your cabin without your permission while you are inside the cabin should be a very limited number.

In the event of a medical emergency, or a genuine emergency situation, where it becomes necessary to check every cabin in order to account for every passenger onboard, having only ship's security be the only ones that could overrive the deadbolt is not practical. Considering the total number of cabins on todays huge ships, there is no way to accomplish that without having a large number of crew being able to open all cabin doors. Having stewards have override keys for that purpose is very logical. And I do think that SHOULD be the only instance when stewards are permitted to use them.

That being said, in 20+ Princess cruises on 14 different Princess ships, except for the one included in the "Welcome Aboard" packet that is on the desk on embarkation day, I have never had a Patter delivered inside my cabin, whether I am in there or not. They are always placed in the "mailbox" outside the door.

Everyone who says this is "no big deal" and to just put out the 'Privacy Please' sign... do you even read other cruiser's experiences? More than one person can attest to the fact that the sign does not work in this thread alone. Even one person being subjected to that is unacceptable, but this happening to so many people makes me a bit uneasy.

I agree. First of all, many people, myself included, didn't know that the privacy tag was "stronger" than the deadbolt in terms of keeping an attendant out (despite also being vulnerable to change by others outside the cabin). So that's a problem if passengers aren't made aware, in a system wide manner not just "my steward told me on X cruise", that this is the policy. I also now don't see the point of a deadbolt. As far as the master key goes, that's a good idea but really shouldn't be used for routine entrance. Why would they want to use that instead of a regular key (that can't get in with a deadbolt) if they are just going in to do routine things like placing a patter, making beds, providing towels? A steward shouldn't WANT to go inside if someone is in there, which HAS to be the case if the deadbolt is on. They should have a regular room access key and an emergency access key, it's not all that complicated to do that.

I haven't really thought much about this before, but we have had them walk in on us before. Sometimes you are a bit ... err ... preoccupied and might not hear a knock.

On some ships opening the bathroom door creates both a visual and physical barrier that could be overcome in the case of an emergency.

I pray you never create a "Code Alpha" situation. The delay while they break down your door could mean life or death.

[bTW I'm not condoning the Princess policy here. It does seem that passengers should be able to have a reasonable expectation of privacy. But achieving the way you suggest could put you in harm's way.]

There are a LOT of ways that "harm" can cross our path's and frankly I don't buy that reasoning. The bigger issue is that the everyday usage of master keys and deadbolt overrides IS contradictory to an emergency situation!! Bottom line, this policy is NOT OKAY with us! :mad:

Edited by thyme2go

We stay in many land based hotels with electronic door locks. We have never had anyone walk in on us when the deadbolt was locked as the card they were trying to use would not open it. I know this has been our experience as I have heard them out there trying to get in & just ignore them as they sometimes start knocking then, saying "room service".

Some hotel in another country we stayed in had the right idea. It was a mini-dead bolt that when the knob inside was straight up, it had a small sign on the outside that said "vacant" I think it was. Turn it the other way, it said "service please", and then the opposite direction, said "privacy". When you flipped it to privacy, it did engage a small dead bolt that would keep anyone from just opening the door and walking in. However, anyone with enough strength or body mass, could have really pushed the door open as it was not that strong, nor designed for that level of security. It also eliminated plastic signs that fall off, get stolen or flipped around if it's two sided. It's not as if you could leave the room & leave it locked.

David & Ellen

A code alpha is responded to by security and medical. Security has a "hard key" to open a deadbolt. Since security is constantly walking the ship, they are generally the first to arrive.

I'm not going to enjoy wondering who will walk in for a myriad of things far less than an emergency, while I cruise. And I'd like to see how many people have been 'saved' by unlocking deadbolts. Yes, having a master key is fine, but using it for daily routines should NOT be standard operating procedure.

It doesn't matter if the number of saved people is zero - it's what could happen. It's not after people are injured or die that you put a saftey practice into place.

You don't have to enjoy wondering who will walk into your cabin while on your vacation - use the Privacy Sign.

A code alpha is responded to by security and medical. Security has a "hard key" to open a deadbolt. Since security is constantly walking the ship, they are generally the first to arrive.
On every code alpha I have seen on princess, a nurse is the first to respond. There is one nurse on call at all times, and she has a 'Go Bag' with emergency supplies. Usually dr arrives shortly afterwards. Not only can the medical card open locked cabin doors; it can be used in the elevator, where it drops any calls and makes the car express to the deck requested by the dr/nurse. Edited by pablo222

Once I had to call security at a hotel to come override the deadbolt lock a friend of mine had on his door. I was concerned that he might be having a medical emergency since he was not answering the phones (both his cell phone and the room phone). When the security guy came, he said he would have to have a manager come up to the room for him to override the deadbolt. By the time they did that, however, my friend had flipped over the little hook thingy that prevents the door from being opened. They said they'd need to get a special tool that could open the door. Fortunately, my friend eventually came to the door before they had to get the tool.

All code alpha's need to be reported by someone. My guess is that in most cases, it is someone else who reports it and not the victim. What concerns me is the giving up of privacy to room stewards---not medical staff, nor ship emergencies. And theorizing you give up privacy because "what if something really bad happened in your room?" is not a good argument. People pass away in cruise ships without a code alpha being announced---and they may not have even locked their deadbolt! It would behoove Princess to make this policy very clear to passengers and staff.......as it stands now it looks like 'cruiser beware'........:eek:

Like geoherb I had an experience at a high rise hotel in DC where I had to call security to open my room. After the maid had made up the room for the day and closed the door, the safety latch had vibrated over the hook. When I tried to get into my room that evening, I was not able to open the door because the safety latch was on. Security was able to open the door for me using a credit card to move the safety latch back out of the way! (for all those that think the safety latch will protect you pay attention here!). Since it was my room and I was alone, there was no problem but it opened my eyes about how safe using the safety latch really was. The security officer told me that it happens from time to time and he has to open the doors.

I once forgot the combination I set to my cabin safe. I called security and after signing a paper agreeing to let them open it, he opened it with a master key. I then had to sign a paper that everything was still in the safe and nothing was missing.

Moral to the story is that there is no such thing as privacy in a public facility. Put the "do not disturb" sign on your door or suffer the consequences.

Agree Brian....but you will still have some who won't or can't see the importance of putting that "privacy tag" in their door! Never have I had a steward enter if the sign was out!

When ours opened the door, the sign was out and the deadbolt was turned. He simply could not get what it meant. Happened several times during the week.

Janet

I think the poster was suggesting barricading the door.

Actually, when traveling alone, I do that. I pull a heavy object in front of the door to my cabin. Or, I bring along my "Swedge" door alarm (do a search - one of the best, inexpensive security measures you can have). Believe me, it's so loud, there is no mistaking when someone enters my room unwanted. That thing going off once will deter any cabin steward from popping in when the Do Not Disturb sign is out.

In the event of a medical emergency, or a genuine emergency situation, where it becomes necessary to check every cabin in order to account for every passenger onboard, having only ship's security be the only ones that could overrive the deadbolt is not practical. Considering the total number of cabins on todays huge ships, there is no way to accomplish that without having a large number of crew being able to open all cabin doors. Having stewards have override keys for that purpose is very logical. And I do think that SHOULD be the only instance when stewards are permitted to use them.

That being said, in 20+ Princess cruises on 14 different Princess ships, except for the one included in the "Welcome Aboard" packet that is on the desk on embarkation day, I have never had a Patter delivered inside my cabin, whether I am in there or not. They are always placed in the "mailbox" outside the door.

We were recently on the Crown at the same time your were and our Patter was on our bed when we came back in the evenings practically every night. I think that is because we ate late traditional so the Patter had arrived before the Cabin Steward did our turn down service. I think perhaps that those that eat earlier may find the Patter in their mailbox.

We did B2B's on the Crown starting 9/30 and I had quite a surprise at the end of the Med cruise in Southampton. It takes me quite awhile to get things together in the a.m. so my DH always showers 1st then leave the cabin. I came out of the shower wearing just a smile and was very surprised to find a crew person on our balcony washing the sliding glass door. He quickly turned away & I quickly headed into the closet. Spoke with the cabin steward about it later & he said he had no idea there would be crew cleaning the balconies. Usually they send notes from passenger services if there will be work on the balconies during the day.

We had our "Please Service the Room" card turned to Privacy so our room wasn't cleaned one day. Thankfully it wasn't the other way around.

I've seen the signs on the floor outside a room & I've picked them up & put them in the mailbox, but wouldn't dream of trying to put one back in a door since I wouldn't know which way it should go.

All cruises that I have sailed on have had a paper/board type door hanger for the do not disturb/service room request, however, it was known and seen on cctv in the corridors that older teenagers were swapping and removing the hangers. Therefore, they are not ideal- would it not be better if there was a 'slot' in the door for small discreet turning sign that can be operated from inside the cabin and be tamper proof from passing vandals'? Do the latest ships have such a facility?

Not sure what could be done with the room breakfast order cards that have had bits added on by drunken passers by during the early hours!!

So you would need to phone or locate him in the hallway in advance? Sounds fine and it's good to know the room service policy as well.

If we plan on staying in for the evening, we locate our room steward in the hallway and let him/her know that we just need ice or towels or whatever. We tell him that otherwise, just take the night off from our doing our room and put the sign out just to be on the safe side.

One time, we did plan on going out but late and had our sign out. When we walked out at 9:30 PM, he was so irritated with us ...just about ready to sign out for the evening. I felt so bad because there is nothing we need that bad for the evening to keep him from his limited time off. Like I mentioned, now we always find them ahead of time to tell them not to bother with our room.