Britannia new interior video - How does she compare with the Royal?

need2cruisesoon

Yes I think you are right, but judging by the padded loungers I'm still thinking it may be adults only. We shall see. In any case the aft decks appear to be a nice upgrade over RP. I love a few tired aft decks with a pool, and this design accomplishes that nicely. Mind you the "pool" looks to be more of a jacuzzi on steroids but it's better than what currently exists on RP which is nothing.

11466182263_7d030dba65_o.jpg

Ernie

Definitely a break of dawn race for all those seats

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you love modern, contemporary look in design, it's beautiful. The bones of the ship remind me a lot of the Royal, the decor would not be something that I would find as beautiful as the Royal. I prefer the colors and style of the Royal. The Royal looks and feels warmer and to me more relaxing..it has the aaaah feeling to me. This ship's coloration and style looks cold to me, but I admit I'm not one who enjoys a contemporary look. I love the "glitz" on the Royal. To me it was just enough to add a very luxurious look. I think what they did with the lighting in the Piazza is truly beautiful.

Just to show how different people's perceptions can be, I was sitting with my husband in the Piazza and commenting to him what a beautiful job they did on the decor and lighting. I love the lighting fixtures and the detail of putting little light scattered around the border between the floors in the center of the Piazza. Commenting how truly beautiful I thought the Piazza is. My husband left and a woman approached and asked if she could share the table with me. As soon as she sat down she went on about how tacky she thought the Piazza is and way too glitzy. So, point of the story, to each his (or her) own.

Edited by sasha'smom

Definitely a break of dawn race for all those seats

No doubt, but at least it's additional pool area in addition to what already exists on RP. Should help out crowding a bit midship and forward.

No doubt, but at least it's additional pool area in addition to what already exists on RP. Should help out crowding a bit midship and forward.

Yeah, it will really free up about 20 loungers and the 6 or 7 people that will be in the pool will reduce the overcrowding in the other pools.

Won't make a difference to those that must be on the edge of the pool. There are plenty of loungers on the Royal on multiple levels.

Hey for me, it's at the back of the ship, I can see the wake and looks very relaxing. Hopefully it will be adult only like the other aft pools on the Grand Class ships.

IMG_1155JPG.jpg

Does P&O charge Americans in British Pounds or Dollars? Do you really have to embark their ships for a Caribbean cruise in Barbados? The cost of airfare and the Pound would make the cruise very expensive.

They're not really out to appeal to Americans. Sea Princess used to do the same itinerary out of Barbados. Can't blame them for the crap they have to go through dealing with US customs and immigration.

Does P&O charge Americans in British Pounds or Dollars? Do you really have to embark their ships for a Caribbean cruise in Barbados? The cost of airfare and the Pound would make the cruise very expensive.

Its a British ship, so they charge in pounds. Its all relative for example daily tips is gbp 3.50 per person. I don't think its all more expensive than flying to europe to cruise on the roysl princess. Will have to see what they charge for the cabins.

Its a British ship, so they charge in pounds. Its all relative for example daily tips is gbp 3.50 per person. I don't think its all more expensive than flying to europe to cruise on the roysl princess. Will have to see what they charge for the cabins.

For me, sailng in the Caribbean does not require air travel if the ship embarks in Florida. Flying to Barbados to cruise on P&O would definitely be added expense along with the pound to dollar exchange rate. I am sailing on the Royal for half the cost of P&O.

For me, sailng in the Caribbean does not require air travel if the ship embarks in Florida. Flying to Barbados to cruise on P&O would definitely be added expense along with the pound to dollar exchange rate. I am sailing on the Royal for half the cost of P&O.

Costs on the ship would be similar to what you woul pay in us dollars. You need to compare the prices, but I bet its close. As for airfares, personally its expensive for me to fly anywhere outside of doing south pacifc or nz or Australia cruises.

Where is this ship likely to cruise.

Apples and oranges. One is doing the milk run 7 day cruise and one is doing a 14 day cruise with 9 Caribbean ports. They can't be compared cost wise. A Brits airfare to Barbados probably isn't that much higher than Florida without the hassle.

P and o have recently been selling 14 night cruises around the caribbean for £999 including flights from the uk to barbados, last month they had cabins for £599'including flight, for the uk cruise passenger both arevamazing deals.

Apples and oranges. One is doing the milk run 7 day cruise and one is doing a 14 day cruise with 9 Caribbean ports. They can't be compared cost wise. A Brits airfare to Barbados probably isn't that much higher than Florida without the hassle.

I am comparing a B2B on Royal (14) days at my present Deluxe cabin rate. No airfare needed.:D

I am surprised that P&O charges a daily service charge for tips. I didn' think tipping was common for the British and Australians.

Edited by Mom33

P and o have recently been selling 14 night cruises around the caribbean for £999 including flights from the uk to barbados, last month they had cabins for £599'including flight, for the uk cruise passenger both arevamazing deals.

That is a wonderful bargain for the UK cruise passengers. Unfortunately, I am not from the UK so it doesn't benefit me to pay airfare from the states to Barbados or Southampton to board a P&O cruise ship for the Caribbean. As Cruise Junky stated "They're not really out to appeal to Americans."

As a Brit who is a P&O regular, it is very interesting to see Americans discussing P&O.

As has already been said, P&O UK always use gbp as the on-board currency.

Most of us are very happy to tip but see it very much as a reward for good service rather than an automatic additional charge. (As an aside, I recall having a meal in an Italian Restaurant in Little Italy, New York, many years ago where we experienced truly awful service (which is much rarer in the USA!) and was challenged by the server for not leaving a tip. When she said we were supposed to leave a tip for the service, I very politely pointed out that we hadn't had any 'service'!).

On P&O, many of us leave additional tips for mdr servers and cabin attendants as they are usually excellent.

To date, P&O have not sought or attracted passengers from outside the UK, apart from World Cruises and sectors which are quite popular with Australian residents.

Food and entertainment are very much designed for Brits.

Britannia arrives Spring 2015 so itineraries are not yet out.

P&O Ships are based out of Barbados because currently, 99% of the pax are flying out from the UK and Barbados makes it very easy for us. On arrival, we walk down steps off of the aircraft and get straight into buses that take us to the ship. Baggage follows and immigration is done at check-in and takes a few minutes. Slightly different to lining up at Miami Airport for 2 hours or more...

I hope that is of interest.

Edited by Britboys
typo

As a Brit who is a P&O regular, it is very interesting to see Americans discussing P&O.

As has already been said, P&O UK always use gbp as the on-board currency.

Most of us are very happy to tip but see it very much as a reward for good service rather than an automatic additional charge. (As an aside, I recall having a meal in an Italian Restaurant in Little Italy, New York, many years ago where we experienced truly awful service (which is much rarer in the USA!) and was challenged by the server for not leaving a tip. When she said we were supposed to leave a tip for the service, I very politely pointed out that we hadn't had any 'service'!).

On P&O, many of us leave additional tips for mdr servers and cabin attendants as they are usually excellent.

To date, P&O have not sought or attracted passengers from outside the UK, apart from World Cruises and sectors which are quite popular with Australian residents.

Food and entertainment are very much designed for Brits.

Britannia arrives Spring 2015 so itineraries are not yet out.

P&O Ships are based out of Barbados because currently, 99% of the pax are flying out from the UK and Barbados makes it very easy for us. On arrival, we walk down steps off of the aircraft and get straight into buses that take us to the ship. Baggage follows and immigration is done at check-in and takes a few minutes. Slightly different to lining up at Miami Airport for 2 hours or more...

I hope that is of interest.

It is of interest! Thank you. I won't bother to follow this thread anymore. It kind of doesn't belong on the Princess boards if Americans are not Britannia's

target market.

Enjoy your new ship.:)

It is of interest! Thank you. I won't bother to follow this thread anymore. It kind of doesn't belong on the Princess boards if Americans are not Britannia's

target market.

It's a comparison of the same build as Royal, can't we just discuss that? Feel free to unsubscribe

Edited by Cruise Junky

target market.

However, there are other nationalities than are non American that cruise with Princess who are interested in the comparisons!

Fine if you are not interested, but please do not make assumptions.