Experienced Cruisers: Your top three don't-miss ports

avgsuperheroine

I enjoy planning vacations almost (I said almost) as much as going on vacation. I'm researching all kinds of future trips and cruise lines and destinations.

I have ideas of where I'd like to go someday, but I'm curious--what are your top three "don't-miss" ports and why did you love them?

I've got some "dream ports" in mind, and I'm always surprised at how many conflicting opinions there are. But of course, it's such a personal thing!

Tortola: I loved the Baths at Virgin Gorda - so much fun to climb through the caves and grottos. It was like an obstacle course!

San Juan: Old San Juan is beautiful, the city is very walkable, and there's so much to do there (forts, El Yunque, the bio bay, etc).

St. Kitts: Palm Court Gardens is beautiful! The gardens are lush and they have an infinity pool that overlooks the cruise pier, plus a hot tub. It's a relaxing way to spend the day.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I haven't cruise as much as many others, but I have enjoyed every cruise I've ever been on.

My favourite ports that I have actually visited and not just dreamed about are:

St Petersburg Russia - I loved the Hermitage

Amsterdam - the buildings along the canals were lovely

Vancouver - a beautiful, vibrant city

Some day, I'd like to add Venice to the list.

In this order:

1. Haifa. Israel is the most fascinating place I have ever visited.

2. St. Petersburg. I never thought I would step foot in what used to be the Soviet Union.

3. Homer, AK. Astounding beauty, extraordinary wildlife, funky town, unique.

1. St. Petersburg a wonderful port well worth the 2 day stay Make sure you use a private tour.

2. Florence a truly great art city (DW is world's finest elementary art teacher)

3. Athens standing by the Acropolis is truly an awe inspiring experience

1. St. Petersburg a wonderful port well worth the 2 day stay Make sure you use a private tour.

2. Florence a truly great art city (DW is world's finest elementary art teacher)

3. Athens standing by the Acropolis is truly an awe inspiring experience

I also loved St Petersburg, and the panama cruise, and Alaska inside passage. Next we are going around the Horn, can't wait.

Carol

Venice ... one of a kind and there is so much beautiful history

Kusadasi ... for Ephesus .... The most impressive ruins I have seen ... so far

Moorea ... IMO, the most South Pacific island .... heaven on earth

There are so many wondeful, beautiful and impressive places to visit via a cruise ship, it was difficult to choose just 3.

1. St. John, USVI - my favorite island anywhere. We head here when we port in St. Thomas

2. Hawaii - the Big Island - sailing around the active volcano, Kilauea, at night from Hilo to Kona is an amazing sight to see.

3. Juneau, Alaska - for whale watching. We've done it twice and there is nothing as majestic as watching these creatures swim and breach. Our trip last summer was breathtaking watching pods of whales.

My favorites are...

1. Venice, Italy

2. Santorini, Greece

3. Kusadasi, Turkey

Obviously, these are European destinations. If you're looking closer to home, Alaska is an amazing cruise. If you want to go to the Caribbean, I recommend the Southern Caribbean.

I would say Venice but there were lots of wonderful ports of call in Italy, Portofino has fond memories for us as well as Sicily (Taormina). Out of 19 days in Italy, I can't remember one we didn't love. After disembarking, we took a private tour to Tivoli for our last day, it was absolutely incredible, although not a port stop.

#2 would be Kauai #3 would be Vancouver…love that city :)

And…so many more! The vast majority of ports we've visited we would go back to again…except the Mexican Riviera or Baja.

Europe:

Venice

Civitevecchia for Rome

Athens

Caribbean:

Curacao

St. Bart's

San Juan

Canada/New England:

Boston

Halifax ((though Charlottetown is wonderful, also)

Quebec City

Alaska/Pacific Northwest:

Seattle

Ketchikan

Tracy Arm

Sitka

Edited by sail7seas

So far, I would have to say my three favorite ports are:

1. San Juan - Full of history. The people we have met there have always been polite and friendly. We've considered going there for a land-based vacation.

2. Antigua - Beautiful island. Beautiful beaches. If it wasn't such a long commute, we could live there.

3. Grand Turk - Once you get away from the "touristy" Margaritaville, it's a fascinating island. We'd like to go back and explore it a bit more.

It's hard to pick just three ...

Sydney, Australia ... sailing around the bend and catching the first glimpse of the Opera House and Harbor Bridge ... incredible

Shanghai ... magnificent!

Old San Juan ... one of our favorite places on earth

Before too long, I hope to add Venice to the list.

I will stick to ports which are convenient for cruisers, especially for those who like to tour on their own.

Tops for me was Istanbul. I also had an easy and magical day in Bodrum and another in Kusadasi.

Shanghai, Kagoshima, Nagasaki, Xiamen and Pusan were great ports as well.