Food Court Concept instead of Windjammer

How would you like a Food Court Concept with Upscale Food(Not Fast Food). There could be a Park Cafe Express Station(with the regular Park Cafe in the Solarium), Sorrentos, The Counter Burgers, Maggiano or Sbarro's Italian, On The Border Mexican , Katz's Deli, Sweet Tomatoes and others setup all around the Windjammer.

You would just go up to the station you want and sit down like you do today. Since each station would specialize in their own specialties there would be less chances of burgers sitting there on a warming plate. There could be a Boardwalk Dog Hose, Coldstone Creamery(the no fee Ice Cream Shop) etc.

This setup would allow people to enjoy the variety without having to worry if the food is on the warmer for a long time.

What are your thoughts about this as opposed to a Windjammer?

How would you like a Food Court Concept with Upscale Food(Not Fast Food). There could be a Park Cafe Express Station(with the regular Park Cafe in the Solarium), Sorrentos, The Counter Burgers, Maggiano or Sbarro's Italian, On The Border Mexican , Katz's Deli, Sweet Tomatoes and others setup all around the Windjammer.

You would just go up to the station you want and sit down like you do today. Since each station would specialize in their own specialties there would be less chances of burgers sitting there on a warming plate. There could be a Boardwalk Dog Hose, Coldstone Creamery(the no fee Ice Cream Shop) etc.

This setup would allow people to enjoy the variety without having to worry if the food is on the warmer for a long time.

It would probably become a nice hang-out for the teen scene, and something would ruin it for all.

Nice idea though.

Sea Ya

Thanks for your thoughts but this does not appeal to me. WJ is fine the way it is, IMO. I think the rotating stations they have are fine. Some WJ's are better than others, though. Jewel has the best one at sea, with daily rotating pasta, pizza, grill, and ethnic stations. I have never had cold food; in fact on our Mariner cruise, the warming trays were so hot that some of the food was bubbling! No complaints here. :)

Not a good idea because those restaurants you've listed will most likely hike the price of the cruise. Also, I seriously doubt restaurants like Maggiano's would participate in a high-end food court setting.

Other than the first two (Park Café and Sorrento's), it would be highly likely that if something with this variety of venues was implemented, there would either be a Johnny Rocket's type cover charge for each one, or the entire area would be a pay per piece venue like Izumi. No thanks, a free WJ works just fine for me;)

I myself would prefer the WJ setting, rather than a food courtyard, but would like to give you Kudos for bringing something to this forum rather than the "run of the mill" posts.

While your idea may not gain much favor, it may be the stepping stone to a better idea. Creativity at work.

A good business is constantly re-evaluating itself, and looking from ALL angles how to improve.

Even MTD may have had some doubters. Who would have ever thought that there would be a Johnny Rockets, Chops, Starbucks, Ben & Jerry's, etc, all which started to charge extra on what was considered an all inclusive vacation.

What dastardly person had the idea of a cantilevered hot tub, or a Flow Rider?

Who knows where this may lead?

Thank you again for looking for new ideas.

Mark

Edited by Roce48

I get what you are thinking and I am not against it, except this is a similar concept that Carnival tries (not as fancy as you are saying obviously but with different "stations" of types of food) and I believe that is what leads to the long lines in their buffet area. If you want 3 different types of food - like asian, chicken fingers, and mashed potatoes - I have to go wait in 3 different lines. There would be times I wouldn't get back to my table until 30 minutes after I entered the buffet area bc I was waiting in lines to get food. Hated it!

I get what you are thinking and I am not against it, except this is a similar concept that Carnival tries (not as fancy as you are saying obviously but with different "stations" of types of food) and I believe that is what leads to the long lines in their buffet area. If you want 3 different types of food - like asian, chicken fingers, and mashed potatoes - I have to go wait in 3 different lines. There would be times I wouldn't get back to my table until 30 minutes after I entered the buffet area bc I was waiting in lines to get food. Hated it!

I agree with you abut the long lines on Carnival. That Stir Fry line on the Glory was saddening!

One of the worst idea's I've ever seen on these boards, sorry.:rolleyes: Edited by Thetrail

Yes, I think it was like that on HAL Westerdam too. The lines were so long and it wasn't possible to even see what they were serving without waiting in the long lines, so I just went to the stations with the shortest lines. I ended up getting food from the same stations every day. RC actually is very efficient at serving food in the WJ.

RC actually is very efficient at serving food in the WJ.

I completely agree, Sharon. We had a nice Princess cruise a few years back but the buffet set up was awful! Gosh, we were so frustrated some days. *sigh* Royal does it best, repeating stations on both sides so you can go left or right and have exactly the same foods. Very efficient (except on Oasis class, wow!) - IMO).

I myself would prefer the WJ setting, rather than a food courtyard, but would like to give you Kudos for bringing something to this forum rather than the "run of the mill" posts.

While your idea may not gain much favor, it may be the stepping stone to a better idea. Creativity at work.

A good business is constantly re-evaluating itself, and looking from ALL angles how to improve.

Even MTD may have had some doubters. Who would have ever thought that there would be a Johnny Rockets, Chops, Starbucks, Ben & Jerry's, etc, all which started to charge extra on what was considered an all inclusive vacation.

What dastardly person had the idea of a cantilevered hot tub, or a Flow Rider?

Who knows where this may lead?

Thank you again for looking for new ideas.

Mark

Thanks for seeing my creativity Mark. While people don't like the concept that I proposed I think its time to reinvent the Windjammer.

I would like to see the Windjammer open longer hours perhaps even all night.

For another idea. How about creating a Make Your Own Smores one night, Make Your Own Dessert Pizza another Night, Chocolate Fountain another night and Chocolate Fondue yet another night. With a late night offering such as connecting it with the Theme of the Dance so you can grab something to eat in between dancing.

I would love to see Make your own Burritos, Pastas, Toastadas etc during the night as well. For those who like Cheese and Crackers have good cheeses like Goat Cheese, Port Salut, Gruyere with Water Crackers, Dried Fruit etc.

During the Day there could be a Surprise Station where the Chef of the Windjammer Comes out with ingredients and passengers tell the chef what they would like, For instance Schnitzel with Soft Pretzels and a Cheese Sauce.

A Gourmet Hamburger station could replace the Hamburger station today and make it like The Counter.

Perhaps Royal should work with famous chefs like they do on the airline. One month it could be Emeril Lagasse the next month could be Rachel Ray etc and they could reinvent the Windjammer and Main Dining Room Menu.

Whats your take? Its time to bring back the midnight food offerings especially on ships witout a Cafe Promenade. Why didn't Royal decide to keep one 24 hour venue such as Park Cafe open and run it like a Cafe Promenade? The Windjammer could be the late night/24 hour venue onboard.

We're now in 2014 and the economy is doing better. By having a 24 hour venue there would be less need for late night room service. Even if there was a $3 cover charge for after 12:00 AM then fine.

Edited by travelplus

^^^ My opinion is still no. I wouldn't have the slightest interest in eating at midnight. By then, I'm ready to go bed because I'm tired from the day's activities and getting ready for the next day. Royal would lose money on me because I'm not interested in any of those late night food venues.

As for working with celebrity chefs, well, the biggest challenge is getting them to say yes. That means $$....lots of it! I doubt Royal would be pay for something new especially when they know that WJ is working.

I think a lot of people will agree that the night time dinner atmosphere in WJ can be quite nice; but I think a lot of people are turned off that it's a buffet for dinner and they like being served.

What I would like to see is a perhaps a slightly scaled back buffet offering for dinner (but still in the same arrangements/setup), but to have higher quality foods. I would also like to see the introduction, at dinner time, of some quick serve type wait staff.

For those that may wish to order a protein from a grill (meat, fish, sausages, chicken breast) they could order and go to the rest of the buffet and be seated; a waiter would then deliver the grill portion when it is ready. Or a waiter could present a limited menu (I mean like FIVE items) of items from the grill.

This will reduce people's misguided complaints about where do their MDR tips go if they only eat in WJ, as they would then have some level of wait service in WJ. Those put off by the buffet can order grilled to order meats and be served in a manner they are accustomed to. Or, like most people, they can hit up the grill, go make themselves a salad, get some side dishes, etc. I, speaking for myself, would be okay if selection HAD to be reduced if quality could be further improved.

Windjammer closes way.too.early. Like, really, way way way way too early for a viable dining option at a resort with thousands of captive people. RCI wants you to say "Why not?" RCI, why not keep the WJ open at least until 10 - 11pm for dinner. A lot of us want to slow it down on vacations. Or mix it up. Maybe we want to hang out at the pool until 6 pm and then go take a nap and it's 9pm before we even think of dinner. I'm not asking for a miracle, or a return to midnight buffets, but I have to agree that WJ closes way early for dinner time.

Parks Cafe closing early on Oasis-class makes sense because of their location. On other ships that open Parks Cafe late there should be expanded offerings. If we're out having a good time at night and want to eat the only viable quick serve option is pizza that woulda been the bees knees back in high school cafeteria. Even a very limited single buffet line WJ from 12 Midnight - 2:30 AM would be perfect.

I like what Windjammer does for breakfast (I don't like WJ breakfast, but I think they have the right approach). I think lunch is pretty good and convenient for many; seating can be tight but getting the food itself is not usually a hassle. I would basically like to see a step or two elevated quality and service at dinner time, and yes, a limited late night option.

While we're dreaming, sure, open that 'Jammer up once a week for a chocolate midnight shindig.

But I don't like the idea of multiple order counters. I strongly feel a hybrid might work. I don't think people should have too much input in to what they want to customize like a burrito. That could end up being very wasteful (people don't like what they chose, throw it away) and negative reviews just because someone chose a weirdo selection and then didn't like it. And I don't want name brand, every town USA, corporate partnerships so I can have "Sbarros" on a ship. I stay away from frozen processed food when practical to do so, and while current WJ food may not be the pinnacle of quality, and some of it surely frozen, I do like that there are real chefs using real ingredients to make fresh food.

I think the Windjammer is fine as it is and why Change something that´s not broken.

WJ is compatible to a broad spectrum of Pax. There will always be those that are looking for something different, but as a mass market venue there´s not much room for those.