Erosion on Elite Benefits?

Scotto97

Did you previously receive priority when requesting Traditional Dining?

This has never been an Elite perk. It is a Suite perk.

This is coming from someone who very much prefers Traditional dining and usually books cruises after final payment.

The website is still promising the upgraded bathroom amenities: "Regardless of your stateroom type, your stateroom bathroom will be stocked with the upgraded amenities normally reserved only for Suite guests."

We were aboard the Star over Christmas/New Year and the Ruby last week. Both times we were told by the cabin steward that these amenities were no longer available to Elite passengers.

The website is still promising the upgraded bathroom amenities: "Regardless of your stateroom type, your stateroom bathroom will be stocked with the upgraded amenities normally reserved only for Suite guests."

We're still one cruise away from attaining Elite status.

On every cruise we've been on as Elite, I have never noticed any negative changes to any of the perks. Last fall we were on a 32 day cruise and I noticed that we had not received our upgraded bathroom amenities. I asked the Captain's Circle rep if they had been discontinued. She said heaven's no and made sure we received them. Normally I ask the room steward within the first few days if they forget to bring them. Sometimes, because they are hurrying to set up rooms for embarkation, they just automatically set up for non-elite passengers. A polite reminder, done with a smile, usually does the trick and we get the upgrades. The terry bathrobe has never been one of the upgrades. In the bathroom amenity upgrade we have received, the gel eye masque, loofa mitt, nail files, lip balm, sewing kit, q-tips, cotton balls, linen spray.

We were aboard the Star over Christmas/New Year and the Ruby last week. Both times we were told by the cabin steward that these amenities were no longer available to Elite passengers.

No doubt he did but we got them on Ruby the last 3 cruises this year, including last week, in 3 different cabins and stewards.

Seems like it may depend on your steward.

The $2.99 drinks in the Elite lounge are now $5, also its real hard to find space in that overcrowded place, we were just on Ruby and there were over 900 Platinums eager to use it and 200 or so Elite who were crowded out, it was just too busy in Skywalkers.

Those pesky Platinums.. LOL

That flyer is for suite benefits.

The Elite benefit page

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/jsp/eliteMemberShipBenefits.jsp

lists this

Upgraded Bathroom Amenities

Regardless of your stateroom type, your stateroom bathroom will be stocked with the upgraded amenities normally reserved only for Suite guests.

We are not elite but we stayed in a suite for our Royal T/A. The only upgraded stuff we had was a small individual tube of show gel and one of shampoo-conditioner. These two tubes were in the shower (instead of the dispenser attached to the wall). The only other thing we had was a container of q-tips on the counter.

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

The $2.99 drinks in the Elite lounge are now $5, also its real hard to find space in that overcrowded place, we were just on Ruby and there were over 900 Platinums eager to use it and 200 or so Elite who were crowded out, it was just too busy in Skywalkers.

This is not a problem on the Australian based ships. They do not have an Elite Lounge.:(:confused:

We've had no problems with the upgraded bathroom amenities on our last 3 cruises, including April this year.

They did, however, run out of sewing kits on board that last cruise.

It is, of course, a Platinum and Elite lounge, and we lowly gray-carders have just as much right to be there as the black-card bunch.

Still, after my next cruise, I'll get to look down at those Platinum arrivistes, too. ;)

We have been Elite for many years and the amenities seem to be slightly different on every cruise.But those we like best are the OBC, free laundry and free internet and they have not changed. Many years ago we got a small bottle of sparkling wine and 2 flutes.That stopped in the early 90s. At one time we also got slippers. That didn't last long and they were always too big.

The only change I would really like would be on the prefered list for upgrades to suites or even a price reduction for a suite.

We are not elite but we stayed in a suite for our Royal T/A. The only upgraded stuff we had was a small individual tube of show gel and one of shampoo-conditioner. These two tubes were in the shower (instead of the dispenser attached to the wall). The only other thing we had was a container of q-tips on the counter.

Bob

the lack of amenities I was referring to where the bathroom amenities......

Bob

That depends on the cruise. Last January on the Grand Princess there were over 1000 Elites and nearly 1000 platinums. I believe there were similar numbers on the first cruises for the Royal.

I thought Princess did a great job of adjusting for the large number of Elites. On tender days, they could not have hundreds of Elites heading down to the tender boarding area. So they gave out tickets to the Elites in a separate room from the other passengers and boarded us from there. Worked very well.

Our cruise was a b2b2b, so most of the elites would be getting three minibar setups. Towards the end of the first and second leg, we got a form that explained our choices and asked us to mark our selection on the form and return it. This eliminated the need to call room service to switch all the beverages.

I am presently on the Pacific Princess, where I understand there are 179 elites. We have two tender ports coming up (Easter Island and Moorea) and I don't expect any great trouble with Elite tendering. Take away those who have elected Princess tours, or are not early risers, and I suspect there won't be more than perhaps 30 anxiously pushing for the first tender.

The upgraded bathroom amenities are a basket of stuff I've placed on my bottom bathroom shelf out of the way. Under it are the two sanitary bags, that I have no use for. I tried throwing them out, but that's where my steward put them.

When I boarded on Monday (we are approaching Panama so I have data under T-mobile's international plan), I got the standard minibar setup. I had to make two calls to get them exchanged for coffee cards. I still had 11 little bottles of liquor from my time on the Ruby Princess earlier in the month.

I did not request a robe. My bed was properly made up as a queen, as requested.

Edited by Wehwalt

Our cruise was a b2b2b, so most of the elites would be getting three minibar setups. Towards the end of the first and second leg, we got a form that explained our choices and asked us to mark our selection on the form and return it. This eliminated the need to call room service to switch all the beverages.

Sounds like a great idea. You'd think it would save a lot of bother if we could request in advance "just leave coffee cards", too.

Ours is on the back of the bathroom door when not being worn

Just off the Crown Princess b2b. We always have a mini suite and 2 waffle robes are in the closet. DH doesn't do robes. Anyway the robes need to be replaced as they are worn and very shrunken. Neither robes or one the steward brought me would even come close to meeting in the middle let alone wrap around. BTW, I am not overweight. So I asked the steward if he could get me a robe that fit and lo and behold a plush heavy robe appeared in my closet. The waffle robes were always fine before, they just need to be replaced. I loved the big robe though. I know a lot of people could care less about the robes but I like to wear one when doing my hair and makeup.

I'm just off the Sapphire and would like to ask long-time Elites a couple of questions regarding past benefits......

Did you previously receive upgraded robes and towels as supplied to the suites? (Our cabin steward told us we are not entitled to these)

Did you previously receive priority when requesting Traditional Dining?

Neither of these requests are now being honored, and the Captain's Circle host admitted Princess is wrestling with how to deal with so many new Elites. I got the impression that benefit reductions are on the way, and he did not believe a "Super Elite" category would be created

We got brand new robes when we asked for them, on our last cruise, since the ones put in the cabin had shrunk terribly.

We always book way in advance, i.e., think, 1 to 1.5 years in advance, that gives up priority to Traditional Dining.

its real hard to find space in that overcrowded place, we were just on Ruby and there were over 900 Platinums eager to use it and 200 or so Elite who were crowded out, it was just too busy in Skywalkers.

How could you have possibly known who was Platinum and who was Elite??? Did you stand at the door and ask to see everyone's card? Quite an exaggeration!

And, as someone else said, the appetizers/drinks are by invitation to Platinums, Elites, and Suites! It's a perk for all of them and all are welcome. Sorry you had to share the room with those other lowly folks. :rolleyes:

How could you have possibly known who was Platinum and who was Elite??? Did you stand at the door and ask to see everyone's card? Quite an exaggeration!

And, as someone else said, the appetizers/drinks are by invitation to Platinums, Elites, and Suites! It's a perk for all of them and all are welcome. Sorry you had to share the room with those other lowly folks. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with being Platinum, just that there are so many now and the lounge is not large enough, and you do tend to know who is Elite as there were relatively few of us,we quite often know each other at least by sight as we all cruise frequently - and the cards are a different color and are often on display.

No exaggeration. And hardly a perk these days anyway now, a crowded room and a long line and hardly anywhere to sit together unless you get there well before the start time.

Poster said he was in a suite.

Well, we were also in a full suite on the Sapphire two weeks ago.

We had the upgraded towels, heavy robes, and bedroom slippers.

We also got the sewing kit, gel pack for eyes, tubes with shampoo,cond, and lotion.Plus all the other little items .

In Nov. on the Sapphire in Mini suite, had upgraded towels. Being Elite had a small setup but no longer got everything like we had in the past.

Can't understand if the poster was in a full suite he didn't get the above.

We also got the Upgraded Princess bag and the normal other items that come in a suite.

The crowding on the Ruby must have been particular to that one cruise. We did not have any problems on our back-to-back Ruby cruises last month. There was always plenty of available places to sit at the Platinum/Elite/Suite event. Occasionally we had to wait a few minutes for our drinks when the bartender and bar servers were busy. This was usually when we went right when the event started. When we went later, there wasn't a delay.

My thoughts exactly

I'm just off the Sapphire and would like to ask long-time Elites a couple of questions regarding past benefits......

Did you previously receive priority when requesting Traditional Dining

Yes, we got it 2 weeks ago, bypassing the wait list.

john

There can't be too many. The "preferred" boarding line is virtually empty and the other wraps around the terminal.
Depends on the cruise. I've taken several cruises when the Elites numbered over 1,000... not counting Platinum. That many people means long lines and very crowded Platinum/Elite lounge at night.

I agree completely. This has happened to me a couple of cruises when there were so many Platinum and Elite (over 1,300 on one cruise) that you couldn't find a seat until the early seating people left. With all the new Platinum/Elite due to the short cruises, it's going to get even more difficult to find a room big enough.

We also got the Upgraded Princess bag and the normal other items that come in a suite.

Quick comment and question.

we have been elite since 2007. thankful for every internet minute, bar set-up and every item of laundry I didn't have to handle.

Question - what is the upgraded princess bag?

We are also diamond on Carnival, which requires 200 days. Even at those days, the perks do not compare to princess. No internet minutes, no bar set-up and the wash and fold laundry is a joke.

Shirley