Want to try Celebrity but fear music

Loreni

We have been thinking about trying Celebrity because we like their smoking policy, but Princess is pretty good too and we have been mostly happy with them. Our big concern with trying Celebrity is what we have read about the music, specifically:

Loud techno music even in dining room,

CEO ignored concerns about this in a recent CC Q and A session,

Staff has been ordered not to reduce volume even if requested to by many,

Extra speakers have been placed outside the shops to blast music even louder.

If all of this is true, we are concerned. We could cocoon on our balcony to avoid noise, but unless we order room service, we would still need to be exposed to thump/thump music while eating. That won't do.

I read that some fast food restaurants are playing classical music in their parking lots to drive away lurking criminals. Is Celebrity doing the same thing. Blasting techno music to drive away those who don't spend enough money drinking and gambling. We don't drink or gamble and I hate to go where I am not wanted.

In over 20 Celebrity Cruises I have never heard Techno Music in the MDR or even the buffet. Even on the pool deck, they normally play low level 'Chill' or soft rock. The loudest music you are likely to hear is by the party bands, and that is likely to be rock and roll or Caribbean music. Most of the comments I've read about this reference the Martini Bar, which is easily avoided if you don't like your music above background level.

Andrew

We have been thinking about trying Celebrity because we like their smoking policy, but Princess is pretty good too and we have been mostly happy with them. Our big concern with trying Celebrity is what we have read about the music, specifically:

If all of this is true, we are concerned. We could cocoon on our balcony to avoid noise, but unless we order room service, we would still need to be exposed to thump/thump music while eating. That won't do.

I read that some fast food restaurants are playing classical music in their parking lots to drive away lurking criminals. Is Celebrity doing the same thing. Blasting techno music to drive away those who don't spend enough money drinking and gambling. We don't drink or gamble and I hate to go where I am not wanted.

The Reflection has loud music in the atrium, but due to the openness of the design, it carried. Oddly the library was open to the atrium, and too loud to read in. On the other hand, Blu, Cellarmasters and the Relaxation Room were all reasonably quiet. I can't handle all the bustle of the MDR, and still relax.

We have been thinking about trying Celebrity because we like their smoking policy, but Princess is pretty good too and we have been mostly happy with them. We don't drink or gamble and I hate to go where I am not wanted.

Our First Princess sailing was in 1992, first Celebrity was in 1994. Ruby Princess in 2012, Reflection 2013, It will be a very hard sell to get my wife to consider booking Princess again. But if Princess is what you like why take a chance on Celebrity when you already feel they don't want you? They will take everyone's money.:D

Hello Folks

I agree ..this is a major concern to us and will be a deal breaker in the future if concerns are realised

We are to sail in the Solstice in mid March , this will be our first time aboard Celebrity but not the first time on board a ship with an X on its funnel.

If we find loud and all pervasive music it will be our last trip with Celebrity

I wrote a letter to Mr Bailey's office asking about this issue and received a reply that gave some indication that this issue was being addressed.

However the proof of the pudding will be in the eating

I will be making a booking on board for three couples for a twelve day cruise in March 2015 , if there is loud and all pervasive music these bookings will not take place

I'll report back here in early April with the results

Best regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

These Australian cruises must have a different atmosphere. I was on the Solstice in May of 2013 for the Coastal Wine Cruise and it was really nice. I am sailing her again in May of 2014 in Alaska.

Previously I was on Infinity Alaska (July 2012)and Summit Bermuda (August 2012) and never had an issue with loud music- other than around the pool area where one can expect music on Caribbean and warm weather cruises. I was fun though- not a problem with music but with crowds and chair hogs- yes.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I remember the posts that OP is referring to. They seemed overblown to me at the time, having not experienced it during our two recent Celebrity cruises. I really think that the music type and volume will have no effect on your cruise enjoyment. I too don't even REMEMBER music in the MDR.

We have to keep in mind that less than 1% of the 25,000 pax on Celebrity ships every week are aware of our little chat board here at Cruise Critic. From the looks of the earnings report there is no problem filling the Ships with the music as it is today.

We have to keep in mind that less than 1% of the 25,000 pax on Celebrity ships every week are aware of our little chat board here at Cruise Critic. From the looks of the earnings report there is no problem filling the Ships with the music as it is today.

Hi wallie

yes you are correct , of course we are nothing more that a blot on the ledger page :p

However perhaps another way of looking at things is that we may be a barometer of passenger attitudes that should be taken into account when considering long term business planning :)

If one person does not cruise because of an issue , well who cares ?? but if fifty people dont cruise because of an issue , then I suggest you have something you need to deal with...

My personal view is that if a cruise line does not offer a product that I am happy with .. my money will go somewhere else :eek:

I'm sure that the line would much prefer not to have unhappy customers sail with them , it does neither the line or the customer any good .

Finding out what is on offer can be very interesting

Regards

John

I guess "the fuss" is about people who have sailed and posted about

their specific experiences and that the music was so loud they could

not talk to one another and were sitting right near each other.

It looks like this is not on every cruise but a few of the reviewers are

long time Celebrity cruisers.

I will be on Century next week for 11 nights~will see how loud or not loud

the music is.........oh and I have been sitting in the Molecular Bar

on various S class ships and the music was STUPIDLY LOUD......I am

telling the truth..no reason to lie about it. I asked the Bartender to

please turn it down.......sometimes that answer was a negative.....

I know all about the blaring on Carnival! I have learned the hard way in my cruise experince. It is a deal breaker for me as well.

My first of I hope many X cruises is coming up in April. I can't imagine the cruise line jeopardizing their popularity by allowing annoying techno music to pollute more serene areas of the ship. It has its place for sure, but not in most areas of the ship.

This post is an excellent example of how lies perpetrated by people with an agenda can influence innocent people's concerns. Nothing you mentioned is true. Everything you have "heard" about the music is incorrect. Unfortunately, a few people with malicious intent will post false information in order to make their dismal lives seem important. Then someone who does not know the facts will write a post such as yours, wisely asking for the truth, or worse, just rule out one of the best cruise lines out there because of someone twisting the facts for their selfish enjoyment.

Edited by fortinweb

We've been on three Celebrity cruises in the past 16 months and the only loud music on the ship was in the nightclub and in the evening at the martini bar. Neither of which was techno.

I don't recall hearing any music in the dining room.

The music in the atrium was not techno...unless you consider Michael Buble, Elvis Presley, Phil Collins and Ben E. King to be techno. It was a bit loud but you could still carry on a conversation with those around you.

Edited by lovemylab

I think sometimes we long-time Celebrity cruisers forget that as we chat about issues on certain ships or sailings, or even overall for that matter, we may unintentionally be giving new cruisers (or new to Celebrity) a skewed picture of the brand.

As I am one who has posted a few negative things about music let me put it in perspective from my viewpoint. First of all, I LOVE Celebrity and in no way would the occasional music issues I have encountered prevent me from sailing any of her ships. I do not like the loud music in the Atrium, and it does carry to areas near it. But it is a minor inconvenience when walking through, and while I do not like how it flows into the library, there are plenty of other places to read on the ship if desired. I have never, ever, in 25 cruises heard loud music of any kind in the MDR. I do find that overall on the ship, it is rare that you can find a venue without music being piped in. That said, in most areas, it is quiet background music. I just personally preferred it when I could go to an empty bar or similar area during off hours to read in peace, for those times when my own balcony was not good due to weather or the like. I do not frequent the martini bar, so can't comment on that, but have not had issues with music in other bars I have been in. The music has seemed appropriate to the venue and timing.

So to summarize as a long time Celebrity cruiser - maybe some music decisions I do not like but overall nothing that would make me think twice about cruising with them over and over again.:D

On Constellation in Jan, the music in the MDR was not loud but the music in the Atrium was very loud so as not to be heard if talking. Have not heard extremely loud music like this in our past sailings, so don't know if that is a new policy or just the luck of the draw. There have been a bunch of changes on Celebrity in recent months, so I just don't know. I try to roll with the changes but they do affect my experience. Don't fear the music -- these are just observations. The music was good in other venues such as the lounges.

But I wouldn't just rule out someone else's experience even if I haven't experienced it myself. There are differences on different ships and differences on the same ship on different sailings.

Happy sailings

Edited by true45