Changes On Celebrity

kitty9

Just returned from a wonderful 11 day cruise on Equinox, where I had the chance to listen to the Chief Engineer give talks on ships and the future of the cruise industry. The one thing he did say, after his formal talk, is that new ships "planned in the future for Celebrity" will be smaller, and based more on the M Class ships than on the S Class. The reason for this is because many cruise ports are complaining about the fact that the larger ships are straining the resources of the islands and ruining the sea bottom with their maneuvers and thrusters. The Chief said that he could not foresee new ships being larger, and many companies plan on only building smaller, more efficient ships.

Now, here's where things get interesting. I had the opportunity to speak with some crew members, those higher up in the "food chain" so to speak, about what will be happening to Equinox during her upcoming dry dock. Of course, there's the usual hull painting and tinkering of the engines, but the really interesting part is what will happen to the interior. First, say goodby to Cellar Masters. That venue will be changed to what was described as an English/Irish pub, with adult beverages to reflect that area and snacks and small meals like fish and chips. Cellar Masters is an underused area that, while a good idea, never really caught on. They feel that putting in a pub like room, with beers and other libations, will be more cost effective.

Second, say goodby to Silk Harvest. That's another venue that doesn't live up to potential so it will be changed to a new restaurant that will have a rotating menu. I really didn't quite understand the concept of the new area, but it sounded to me like they will change the menu every few weeks to reflect a different kind of dining. Whether that means the restaurant will be a steak house for a few weeks, and then a French bistro the next and then a different kind of Asian restaurant has yet to be determined, but Silk Harvest as we know it, will be gone in the near future.

It seems like Summit will be the guinea pig for many of these changes, with everything happening on that ship first, to see if it will work out. The Bistro will be gone on Summit (and if this works it will be rolled out fleet-wide), and it will be turned into the restaurant for the suites. It was explained to me that they want to end overcrowding in Blu, and they hope that by making a suite only restaurant it might help with that issue. Suite passengers will be able to still dine in the MDR if they desire, so for example if they have friends who are not suite passengers, they can dine with them in the MDR. BUT, according to the maitre'D in Murano, they will not have a different menu from the MDR, with the exception of maybe a few ala carte items (this sounds rather like what happens in the QG on Cunard, where the basic menu is the same as Britannia, but they have the ala carte menu). I specifically asked if the suite only restaurant will have a different menu and I was told no, because there's not any way the kitchen for Bistro on 5 could handle a new, fancy menu.

Another thing they're tossing around is to expand Murano by knocking down the wall separating Murano and Michael's Club. I think that's a great idea since on our cruise, Murano was totally booked every night and there was a waiting list. This idea is just in the talking stages, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

The maitre'd also said that they expect Celebrity to announce at least one new build sometime in 2015, once Century leaves the fleet. That's a good idea since so many ships are deployed outside the usual US based ports---Solstice in Australia, Millennium in Asia and Eclipse out of Southampton.

Finally, the same maitre'd told me that the glass show will be gone in the near future. It will be replaced by the Porch, which apparently is very popular on other ships. I guess since the glass show doesn't generate much income, having the extra charge Porch will change that.

During dry dock, they will apparently do the change over of Cellar Masters to the pub. We will see if that really happens.

So, what do you all think of these changes?

Edited by kitty9

I would be upset to lose Bistro :( whilst I can see what they are trying to do with the suites I am not happy that this is at the expense of non-suite guests who are the majority. (44 high end suite guests v 2800+ non)

As I suggested before why not let suite guests use Murano for breakfast and lunch and enable them to have their choice of speciality restaurants (free) or MDR in the evening.

Bistro is one of our favourite restaurants. Also I don't know why they would replace silk with a steakhouse (Tuscan?) or a French restaurant (Murano?) when these are already onboard.

The cellar masters idea doesn't sound too bad I guess and a porch would be a nice addition but it's a shame to lose the glass show :(

Don't think much, if true.

A lot of contradictory information from what was reported earlier about the new suite class dining room being carved out of the MDR and not Bistro.

Michaels Club is suppose to be the dedicated lounge for Suites and Zenith Class. How does that fit with eliminating Michaels Club to expand Muranos?

Could see Cellar Masters being used as a wine/specialty beer venue, but since they don't have a kitchen how would they prepare pub style meals.

If Summit is the "guinea pig" then what is the chatter about the changes happening 1st on Equinox?

I guess time will tell but I personally would hate to lose Cellar Masters.

Mary Lou

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

There is no point in having a restaurant for suites only where the menu is the same as the MDR. It also goes against Celebrity's own press release regarding the suites only restaurant: Private dining - A dedicated private restaurant reserved exclusively for all Suite Class guests will be available morning, noon and night. Each meal will feature unique menus that offer sumptuous dishes not available anywhere else onboard. Guests can truly immerse themselves in the local culture with specially crafted menus inspired by the local destination, and enjoy the world's best ingredients. Memorable and inspiring dishes will be served, from locally caught seafood, to the freshest pasta. The Suite Class chef can provide a tailor-made experience to suite guests and prepare a dish to their liking, and the Cellar Master - Celebrity's head sommelier - will select from more than 450 wines to provide the perfect pairing.

Interesting. I would like to see X put something out on this. We are on the EQ 13 weeks from today and only a few weeks after her dry dock. We are booked in Silk Harvest. Not a big deal if they change it but considering that her dry dock is only about 9 weeks away they should announce any major changes. The longer we go without hearing any news makes me doubt any major changes.

Don't think much, if true.

A lot of contradictory information from what was reported earlier about the new suite class dining room being carved out of the MDR and not Bistro.

Michaels Club is suppose to be the dedicated lounge for Suites and Zenith Class. How does that fit with eliminating Michaels Club to expand Muranos?

Could see Cellar Masters being used as a wine/specialty beer venue, but since they don't have a kitchen how would they prepare pub style meals.

If Summit is the "guinea pig" then what is the chatter about the changes happening 1st on Equinox?

I guess time will tell but I personally would hate to lose Cellar Masters.

Mary Lou

Some of the changes will happen when Equinox goes into dry dock after her crossing on April 15th. The maitre'd specifically mentioned Cellar Masters being changed during that time. It remains to be seen if we were being fed a line of BS.

Edited by kitty9

Well as much as I like the S- Class ships- it´s good to hear, that they come back to the M- Class size. Cellar Masters to be changed into a pub- oh well- I never liked that gloomy , dark bar- so I am curious how the new pubs turn out! Glas show- found that nothing special since they started it with the debut of Solstice, well gone!

No more Bistro on Five- what a shame- I really liked that!

I think they meant Lawn Club Grill like what is on the Reflection. That was the 'talk, rumor' ect last Nov by the "staff in the know' we spoke with. On Reflection the Porch is next to the Alcoves on the Port side.

Lots of stuff floating around, we will only really know with the 1st sailing after the dry dock.

Some of my $0.02 worth of comments:

1/ Glass show replaced by Lawn Club; a no-brainer as it would bring Equinox in line with the last 3 of her class. Solstice would have the conversion done next time she's in drydock

2/ Harvest Silk giving way to Tuscan Grill= same as above. That has gone beyond the ''rumor'' stage quite a while ago.

3/ Bistro on 5 going ? That would not be a good idea, IMHO, although I can't see a better venue to convert into the upcoming ''private dining venue for suites guests only''.

4/Cellar Master morphing into ''something else'' ? That venue really never caught on to the level the Miami folks were anticipating. Given its proximity to Bistro on 5 , see #3 above and make the whole area a slightly larger ''private dining venue for suites guests only''.

5/ ''Combining Murano & Michael's Club'' ??? Not a chance as Murano, ''as is'' is successful and Micheal's Club is already in operation ( mostly) aas the Zenith / VIP lounge.

My opinion only.

C

1/ Glass show replaced by Lawn Club; a no-brainer as it would bring Equinox in line with the last 3 of her class. Solstice would have the conversion done next time she's in drydock

My opinion only.

C

Hi, do you know when Solstice is scheduled for drydock?

We just booked my parents on the Solstice for Alaska in Sept. & I'm trying to get them a list of must do's on the ship... hot glass show is my favorite, & we sure missed it on Silhouette. I don't want to put it on the list if it might be gone by then.

Thanks!

Just returned from a wonderful 11 day cruise on Equinox, where I had the chance to listen to the Chief Engineer give talks on ships and the future of the cruise industry. The one thing he did say, after his formal talk, is that new ships "planned in the future for Celebrity" will be smaller, and based more on the M Class ships than on the S Class. The reason for this is because many cruise ports are complaining about the fact that the larger ships are straining the resources of the islands and ruining the sea bottom with their maneuvers and thrusters. The Chief said that he could not foresee new ships being larger, and many companies plan on only building smaller, more efficient ships.

Now, here's where things get interesting. I had the opportunity to speak with some crew members, those higher up in the "food chain" so to speak, about what will be happening to Equinox during her upcoming dry dock. Of course, there's the usual hull painting and tinkering of the engines, but the really interesting part is what will happen to the interior. First, say goodby to Cellar Masters. That venue will be changed to what was described as an English/Irish pub, with adult beverages to reflect that area and snacks and small meals like fish and chips. Cellar Masters is an underused area that, while a good idea, never really caught on. They feel that putting in a pub like room, with beers and other libations, will be more cost effective.

Second, say goodby to Silk Harvest. That's another venue that doesn't live up to potential so it will be changed to a new restaurant that will have a rotating menu. I really didn't quite understand the concept of the new area, but it sounded to me like they will change the menu every few weeks to reflect a different kind of dining. Whether that means the restaurant will be a steak house for a few weeks, and then a French bistro the next and then a different kind of Asian restaurant has yet to be determined, but Silk Harvest as we know it, will be gone in the near future.

It seems like Summit will be the guinea pig for many of these changes, with everything happening on that ship first, to see if it will work out. The Bistro will be gone on Summit (and if this works it will be rolled out fleet-wide), and it will be turned into the restaurant for the suites. It was explained to me that they want to end overcrowding in Blu, and they hope that by making a suite only restaurant it might help with that issue. Suite passengers will be able to still dine in the MDR if they desire, so for example if they have friends who are not suite passengers, they can dine with them in the MDR. BUT, according to the maitre'D in Murano, they will not have a different menu from the MDR, with the exception of maybe a few ala carte items (this sounds rather like what happens in the QG on Cunard, where the basic menu is the same as Britannia, but they have the ala carte menu). I specifically asked if the suite only restaurant will have a different menu and I was told no, because there's not any way the kitchen for Bistro on 5 could handle a new, fancy menu.

Another thing they're tossing around is to expand Murano by knocking down the wall separating Murano and Michael's Club. I think that's a great idea since on our cruise, Murano was totally booked every night and there was a waiting list. This idea is just in the talking stages, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

The maitre'd also said that they expect Celebrity to announce at least one new build sometime in 2015, once Century leaves the fleet. That's a good idea since so many ships are deployed outside the usual US based ports---Solstice in Australia, Millennium in Asia and Eclipse out of Southampton.

Finally, the same maitre'd told me that the glass show will be gone in the near future. It will be replaced by the Porch, which apparently is very popular on other ships. I guess since the glass show doesn't generate much income, having the extra charge Porch will change that.

During dry dock, they will apparently do the change over of Cellar Masters to the pub. We will see if that really happens.

So, what do you all think of these changes?

The concept of a sizable company like Celebrity, changing their product in an attempt to better please their current customers, and/or appeal to NEW customers is FANTASTIC. "Adapt or die" applies to business as well as biology. ;)

Unfortunately there are always going to be SOME folks unhappy with ANY changes while lamenting "The Good Ol' Days" and "The Way We Were." (a perfect example is clinging to the nearly extinct tradition of formal night dining)

The goal is to come up with "IPODS" as opposed to "New Coke," and do it without spending so much you bankrupt the company. Another potential pitfall lies in trying to please EVERYONE, while ending up pleasing NO ONE. :o

I am not a wine person, but I think Cellar Masters is the single most beautiful and well done venue on S class ships. It's simply GORGEOUS! Rich, warm, soothing, mellow, relaxing... but if it is not being utilized by guests, then it has to change. (Maybe they can keep the décor???)

The same thing happened to Quasar. Absolutely AWESOME space, cool as can be! And almost completely EMPTY, almost ALL of the time. :confused:

I am a HUGE fan of the glass blowing shows, but it doesn't bring in revenue.

I can see easily see most, if not the entire "lawn club area" going away in a few years. It's a rather sizeable investment, that requires a HUGE amount of maintenance, for VERY little payback.

I thought changing Michaels to a "hip, craft beer venue" was the silliest thing I'd ever seen... and it looks like I am being proven correct as it is being changed yet AGAIN. :rolleyes:

I am VERY surprised about the dropping of Bistro. I am not a fan but I thought it was always quite well utilized.

I am concerned that Celebrity is going to be seen as suffering from ADHD and or touretts with all their "flopping around."

I would be VERY surprised if any "new build" ships were smaller, The entire industry SEEMS to have settled in on the 140,000ton to 160,000 ton size. Yes there is a LIMITED niche for smaller ships but they are less efficient and therefore more costly on a per passenger basis. Just like airliners have settled in on two main sizes.

Edited by teecee60

We actually prefer the smaller ships. It's nice that with all of the other cruise lines going to super, mega ships, X is deciding to go with 90 tons or less. We are sorry to see the century go away this year! They are just wonderful ships and if it helps the ecosystem, even better!

We would hate to loose bistro though!

"I can see easily see most, if not the entire "lawn club area" going away in a few years. It's a rather sizeable investment, that requires a HUGE amount of maintenance, for VERY little payback."

Oh no I am agreeing with teecee60 ( what kind of name is that :rolleyes:)

I would love to see more tables and chairs with some glass partitions to break the wind , at least on the sides by sunset bar

They can kept the grass in the middle area

Glass show, after the 3 rd cruise is old hat

Wine master to a pub sounds cool, with an indoor mast grill area , is do able, but how hard is it to get ventilation , gas , water , drains in the area

Some of the changes will happen when Equinox goes into dry dock after her crossing on April 15th. The maitre'd specifically mentioned Cellar Masters being changed during that time. It remains to be seen if we were being fed a line of BS.

Hi Darcie:

Yes, their rumor mill has always been terrible, remember years ago when they swore that the Century was going to be stretched. I only believe it when I see a press release. Thanks for the info, lots to talk about. Also, keep in mind the dry dock is only 11 days.

Hi, do you know when Solstice is scheduled for drydock?

We just booked my parents on the Solstice for Alaska in Sept. & I'm trying to get them a list of must do's on the ship... hot glass show is my favorite, & we sure missed it on Silhouette. I don't want to put it on the list if it might be gone by then.

Thanks!

I've been trying to figure this out, too. On the website, the current deck plan for the Solstice is only up to April 20, 2015, which means something must be happening to her. I figure that is the time period she will receive her makeover for the new suite amenities.

I guess I better try Bistro when I am on Equinox in March before it is gone, just in case. I have been on Solly and Silly but never stopped in Bistro so this seems to be popular enough that I should find out why.

The glass blowing is nice but putting in the private cooking area I can see being really popular on longer see days where guests are looking for something useful to do. You may actually come home with the cooking tips and use them but I doubt you will come home and start glass blowing.

I would love to see them bring back smaller ships that can get into the nooks and crannies. It gives more variety to itineraries. I think this new spa is going to be a flop however. The price list for any item is absolutely ridiculous. We tend to use the spa 2 or 3 times per cruise but there is no way I am going to get a hot stone massage for a starting price of 209. A manicure for 90 should come with bionic hands.

I hope they don't get rid of Bistro. We absolutely enjoyed our lunch there on embarkation day. We were the only ones in the restaurant and it was so relaxing not having to fight people in the Oceanview Cafe on Millie. If Summit is supposed to be the guinea pig, I hope they don't do too much of it before our cruise next March.

Sounds interesting. We'll be on the Equinox in November. Didn't even realize she was scheduled for a drydock.

We've been on her twice before so looking forward to a fresh look.

I'd be amazed if they put the Porch where the glass blowing is as opposed to the Lawn Club Grill. That area is too big for the Porch and they already have most of the infrastructure for the Lawn Club Grill; i.e. high temp flues/hoods and gas for the grilling. The Glass Blowing was interesting but has certainly worn out it's welcome for us, at least.

Cellar Masters was a cool novel idea that never caught on. Time for a re do.

Another vote for not changing/replacing Bistro. We don't use it that often, but when we do - we really enjoy it.

Also, if glass show is gone (and i don't really care about it) then I hope they will add LCG along with Porch. LCG is our favorite place to dine. And right now we choose to sail on Silhouette or Reflection out of all S class ships only because of LCG.

Very interesting We were told that the Specialty Restaurant for Suites only will definitely have a menu different from Blu and MDR. Items available ONLY to the Suite guests. I guess they still don't know exactly what will happen

You are right, Celebrity's press release stated that the suites only restaurant will have a different menu…. :confused::confused:

Based on my observations the Bistro 5, Cellar Master, and Michael Club (except for the Perry Grant shows) are very underutilized. Therefore it would make sense to continue to adjust. Converting the Michael's Club to a Conceirge type venue is obviously happening. I understand the logic although the Michael's club is our favorite bar I know that we are in the minority. It also makes sense to attempt to increase the use of the space taken by the Bistro 5 and Cellar Master.

We find the Glass show enjoyable, but it obviously leads to the space not being used very often. Celebrity certainly has the facts to determine if the Lawn Grill and Porch are being utilized enough.

Converting the Silk Harvest area (never been there) and the Qsine area (been once) to dining that offered different menus would be a good idea. Perhaps it would be a crab shack one night, a fondue another, etc. might increase it's use. The new Royal Princess ships offers something like that in their OceanView area.

It is good that Celebrity is making adjustments as needed. For every change there will be customers that will be disappointed. For instance I really enjoy the Michael's Club expanded beer format and I have enjoyed many excellent beers there.

I really find it hard to beleive that the next class of Celebrity ships will be significantly smaller than the Solstice Class ships. If true I am sure it will lead to higher prices to maintain the same profit levels. Compared to the large Royal Caribbean ships the Solstice Class ships are significantly smaller. Several years ago I was told by someone at Celebrity that they were going to build another very small ship for South America river cruises and that did not happen. I would not be surprised if Celebrity did not build bigger ships, but significantly smaller?

The bottom line for me is that I think enhancing the benefits of the suites and changing areas of the ship that are underutilized are an excellent idea.

Edited by jagoffee

Agree with you except for the red. :)

1/ Glass show replaced by Lawn Club; a no-brainer as it would bring Equinox in line with the last 3 of her class. Solstice would have the conversion done next time she's in drydock Only 2 S class ships have LCG (Reflection and Sillouette)

2/ Harvest Silk giving way to Tuscan Grill= same as above. That has gone beyond the ''rumor'' stage quite a while ago. Equinox already has Tuscan Grill.

3/ Bistro on 5 going ? That would not be a good idea, IMHO, although I can't see a better venue to convert into the upcoming ''private dining venue for suites guests only''. But they have said part of the MDR will be used?

4/Cellar Master morphing into ''something else'' ? That venue really never caught on to the level the Miami folks were anticipating. Given its proximity to Bistro on 5 , see #3 above and make the whole area a slightly larger ''private dining venue for suites guests only''.

5/ ''Combining Murano & Michael's Club'' ??? Not a chance as Murano, ''as is'' is successful and Micheal's Club is already in operation ( mostly) aas the Zenith / VIP lounge.

My opinion only.

C

As far as Ship size, maybe Miami has woke up since they are needing to do deep discounts to fill the 6000 berths on the monster twins. We got a Crown & Anchor email last week and had to do a double take on how low they had the pricing.

We too are on Equinox in Nov and would like to see the LCG there as on the Reflection.