Goodbye wine cellar?

brightonbuoy

Just off the Silhouette ( fantastic in every way ), was told by a sommelier that the new suite restaurant in 2015 was replacing The Wine Cellar not Bistro on 5 as reported earlier. Not sure how true this is but personally it's where we spend most evenings as don't like Martini bar.

I would like to say that our first Aqua experience was amazing. Best food we've had on Celebrity ships. Not a bad meal in sight....and love the breakfasts ( although now on a diet ). Staff all friendly and service excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The wine bar on S class ships is beautiful, centrally located, and quiet. Not many people use it. I love it. It is especially nice late afternoon. Great comfy chairs. Best place to relax away from the crowd. It is a true hideaway. I am not surprised that they will convert it. I rarely see many people using it. On M class ships it is just a walk-through. Lots of traffic especially at meal times. It would be hard to convert it to a limited venue.

On Facebook Celebrity said that the new suite restaurant will be a part of the MDR and not replacing any other venues.

steamboats

Here's hoping you're right and I'm wrong, really like the Wine Cellar in he evenings. Staff on board probably don't know and just guess amongst themselves.

I find it amusing that the space is so little used and understood, even those commenting in this thread have it wrong, it's Cellar Master's not Wine Cellar. ;)

I'm in the camp that thinks it's an awesome space and idea, yet never seem to find my way there, other than for a tasting event.

If the enomatoic machines used sea pass cards, I'm sure they would have a better following.

I've also read that this is happening and from my experience Cellar Master's is definitely under utilized. My wife and I love hanging out there before dinner or any evening we'd like a quiet place to sit and relax and enjoy a good glass of wine. We always buy the wine card early in the cruise.

Princess has something similar and for some reason seems to be more popular (at least on the cruises I've been on). The Princess version is more open and visible to people walking by, perhaps that lends itself to being noticed?

Anyway, I'll be sad if it gets replaced but understand that Celebrity needs to maximize it's ships. I just hope that they continue to find a way to offer a larger variety of wines than is currently available at the other bars.

I find it amusing that the space is so little used and understood, even those commenting in this thread have it wrong, it's Cellar Master's not Wine Cellar. ;)

I'm in the camp that thinks it's an awesome space and idea, yet never seem to find my way there, other than for a tasting event.

If the enomatoic machines used sea pass cards, I'm sure they would have a better following.

That is a really good point..... If you could just buy one glass without committing to a small pre-paid card I think they would sell hundreds more glasses. Some people would buy one glass for 15 bucks but they don't want to have to buy a pre-loaded card to do it and then worry about using the extra that is left on the card......

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to say it, but whatever Celebrity eventually does to Cellar Masters would liely be a huge economic improvement. It's a BEAUTIFUL venue, but I rarely see anyone there, and I've checked countless times, on several ships - almost always the same result.

I absolutely agree the wine dispensers are a big part of the problem, but I doubt their removal would provide enough added revenue to retain the venue.

Hopefully, Celebrity will come up with a great concept for this prime location.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to say it, but whatever Celebrity eventually does to Cellar Masters would liely be a huge economic improvement. It's a BEAUTIFUL venue, but I rarely see anyone there, and I've checked countless times, on several ships - almost always the same result.

I absolutely agree the wine dispensers are a big part of the problem, but I doubt their removal would provide enough added revenue to retain the venue.

Hopefully, Celebrity will come up with a great concept for this prime location.

As others have said, it is in the press release that the new suite restaurant will be in the Main Restaurant. This makes sense because at least there they have a galley.

My guess is they will turn Celllar Masters into a combo beer and wine joint. It would make a lot of sense to do that considering that the current Beer pub is Michaels is being converted to the Zenith and Suite lounge. Probably would help financially.

Also, Equinox is going in to drydock for only 11 days, can't do a lot during that amount of time.

Edited by dkjretired

Just off the Silhouette ( fantastic in every way ), was told by a sommelier that the new suite restaurant in 2015 was replacing The Wine Cellar not Bistro on 5 as reported earlier. Not sure how true this is but personally it's where we spend most evenings as don't like Martini bar.

Hi all,

We wanted to let you know that this is a rumor, and is not true. We have no plans to get rid of Cellar Masters or Bistro on Five at this time. Hope that clears up any confusion!

Hi all,

We wanted to let you know that this is a rumor, and is not true. We have no plans to get rid of Cellar Masters or Bistro on Five at this time. Hope that clears up any confusion!

Thanks for posting Celebrity. Much appreciated !

I think part of the problem also is that people don't realize wine is available by glass or bottle too, in addition to the machines. I think if this were better advertised, more people would utilize the space - especially those with drink packages. Since I've always had the package, I've never once used the machines. But there are some great wines by the glass available in CM too.

Although we have sailed a number of times and love the Martini bar, on our last cruise 31 Jan this year, we were drawn more and more into Cellar Masters when we could not find a bar stool at the Martini bar and really enjoyed trying out some new wines.

We are sailing again in Sept and will def make this is place to stop by more often . Perhaps the idea of combining it with the speciality beers could work?

This could increase revenue for Celebrity and make better use of the area.

Scotslizzy

I think part of the problem also is that people don't realize wine is available by glass or bottle too, in addition to the machines. I think if this were better advertised, more people would utilize the space - especially those with drink packages. Since I've always had the package, I've never once used the machines. But there are some great wines by the glass available in CM too.

As I recall, all the Cellar Masters are set up a little differently on each S-Class ship, and Reflection does not have a bar that you can sit at and order a glass of wine. The Sommelier in Reflection was just "hawking" the wine cards.

Hi all,

Hi Celebrity,

If I might ask - are there any plans to update/modify Cellar Masters ? Personally, I love how it looks - but it would be great if food (perhaps pub style bites) were offered. I'd also suggest removing the wine dispensers. I have not had good experiences with them, and guests generally seem to avoid them. IMO, if you were to add some small bite items, a wide selection of international beers, and a couple of knowledgeable sommeliers, in place of the dispensers, & a piano performer in the evening (as Michael's Club is no longer be available for this) Cellar Masters would become an instant hit with your Guests !

I hope you will consider some or all of my suggestions. Thank you !

Edited by Host Andy

The rumours continue to fly….

We have heard from several sources (i.e.. the sister of my somebody's manicurist knows a guy etc)

The wine dispensers required too much maintenance, experienced too much down time and are in the process of being removed. Beer in whatever form will be removed from Michael's which will be turned into Concierge/Suite/Z lounge.

Our most pleasant evenings were recently spent sipping port while listening to the string trio in Cellar Masters on Eclipse… Luxury Cruising at its best.

I wish Cellar Masters was the chosen site for the lounge on S-class ships.

Sent from Michael's on Century… Life does not get better than this.. thank you Celebrity. :D

Greetings

On our recent Silly cruise we always stopped into Cellar Masters for a few after dinner ports. Since Michaels is currently a "beer" bar Cellar Masters was the only venue that had nice ports (on Equinox Michaels had a nice port selection). Cellar Masters was never crowded but was enjoying decent traffic.

The ergo-machines are IMHO a good idea gone bad. No matter how well they claim to keep wine I have heard too many reports of the wines not being at their peak. If you are going to try the rarer vintages they you want the wine at it's best. How long has each of those bottles been there semi-open? At a busy wine bar the machines may be great, on a ship where not that many cruisers opt for fine wines the idea turns flat as the wine.

Good Sailing

Tom

Hi all,

Thank you Celebrity!!! This is great news, we are suite guests that love Bistro on Five and Cellar Masters! :):)

Hi all,

Thank you Celebrity for putting me right. I did always state that it was just here say and may not be correct info. I am glad CELLAR MASTERS is staying.