Rccl phasing out library rooms?

Whether you read 'real' books or e-readers, a library is a quiet, comfortable place to read. I do not think they are a dying breed. Our local library is often packed, with people on the computer, doing research, browsing magazines, checking out the shelves, reading art books, etc. etc. On ships I've found the gamut: sometimes empty, but often without a seat to be found. There is something to be said about the collective experience of sitting and quietly reading books together with other people that I enjpy. I see it as a great loss that ships are losing their libraries.

Whether you read 'real' books or e-readers, a library is a quiet, comfortable place to read. I do not think they are a dying breed. Our local library is often packed, with people on the computer, doing research, browsing magazines, checking out the shelves, reading art books, etc. etc. On ships I've found the gamut: sometimes empty, but often without a seat to be found. There is something to be said about the collective experience of sitting and quietly reading books together with other people that I enjpy. I see it as a great loss that ships are losing their libraries.

I love libraries, too. I hope the ships do not eliminate the libraries.

I do not know this for a fact, but I did see a recent Navigator review that with the refurbishment they took away the existing game room area and added it to the library area. Creating a game room/library. I have yet to confirm this info.

Yes, with the revitalization of Navigator, they eliminated the card room and added more tables and board games to the library. Seems like a practical idea to me. Our cabin was nearby, and we saw people enjoying the space throughout the day & evening.

Does anyone else remember when Royal used to keep the books locked in glass cabinets anytime the official "librarian" was not on duty??

Since this thread has been revived, here is an update on the Navigator:

BEFORE:

Aft centrum area, deck 7: library

Aft centrum area, deck 8: "RC Online" aka, Internet cafe, aka computer room

NOW:

Aft centrum area, deck 7: library and card/game room. IT IS NOISY. Constantly in use for cards and games, by people having A LOT of loud fun. Some computer stations were moved down here, too.

Aft centrum area, deck 8: HAS BEEN TAKEN OVER BY PARK WEST. Yes, it is now the "art gallery". There are still some computer stations there, and the printer is there. The "art" people constantly stared at me while I was on the computer there. They don't seem to DO much. Mostly they just sit around and chat with each other.

While were on Celebrity Infinity, we found the library completely empty. They said they'd cleared the books due to the current norovirus epidemic on the ship. I spoke to some on the roll call on the cruise after ours, and they said they'd returned the books to the library.

Still, the library on our cruise was a wonderful place to hang out. I'd gotten permission from Guest Relations to sit in it and read.

Edited by knittinggirl

I've never seen anyone in the libraries on any of my sailings. I noticed though that on one sailing the library was strategically placed near the elevator embankment in the large cross-section between two major hallways of rooms. Instead of downstairs (usually level 4-5) of the common area.

I too mourn the loss of the proper libraries on the ships. The library (or what can properly be termed a library) on the Explorer is no more. There is now a small section of the ship overlooking the RP where there are some shelves of books, card/board games, the daily sudoku/quizzes and a handful of tables. On my cruise the tables were always full with people playing card games and mahjong. The available space was so small that i felt like i would be intruding into their games if i stood around to browse the shelves. Not that there were many good books anyway. I am happy to read almost anything but most were in a language i don't understand and of the English books, i found only one i would have happily taken back to read.

I'm still a die-hard book fan. I've tried reading books on my tablet, and it's a different experience. I was disappointed the first time we encountered the Book Nook replacement for a library on Royal, but so far we haven't had any trouble finding a couple of books for each of us to read.

Since we each take several books with us (and leave them for others when we've finished), we've never found ourselves without anything to read - we have had to settle for books we wouldn't have picked at home, but sometimes that's a good thing, because we may find new authors we enjoy. Our fall-back plan is bringing puzzle books, which can eat up a lot of time. That alleviates any concern we might have.

I have only one complaint - on a recent cruise I didn't find any indication of where the Book Nook was located on the ship models near the elevators. Adding this information would be helpful.

Margy

Egon was right..."Print is dead".

I tend to agree. My DW usually loads 4-5 books on her Ipad prior to a cruise. She has been doing that for the last 8 years or more. Some folks will borrow books at the library to be read and some might be borrowed by chair hogs to mark their "place".

Just in case anyone else searched the posts on this thread wondering if there's a library on Anthem - just confirmed that there is one, albeit small.

My understanding is that if you bring books to donate to the library, you can actually take one if you replace it?

As a ex librarian, I can understand why they would eliminate the library "BOOKS" but i hope they do not give away the quiet space.

I never felt like the library was quiet space...to many people trying to work out the internet...maybe we needed a librarian! ;-)

• 2 years later...
Makes me wonder what they will charge to use those for the week.

Remember the iPhones they had available when Oasis and Allure first came out? I think the charge was $500 if they were lost or damaged.

Remember the iPhones they had available when Oasis and Allure first came out? I think the charge was $500 if they were lost or damaged.

The CD mentioned that purchasing was an option- though I assume the charge would be similar to what Amazon charges for a Kindle.

The CD listed enough features/details that the planning seemed fairly far along.

People have stopped reading "paper" books....they are all about their iPads and kindles, etc... I just BRING the books I like. I've never found ANY that interest me on a ship. Paperbacks are lighter than hardbacks, so I throw about 6 in my bag.

Royal Caribbean still has real libraries (not just Book Nooks) on most Voyager Class and larger ships. Only a few months ago, they replaced the library on the Mariner with a new one where the Connoisseur Club used to be. The old library that overlooked the Royal Promenade was converted to new cabins but the new room is about the same size. The old library was nicer and had more books but at least there is still a library. Perhaps company executives believe that anyone who spends a significant amount of time reading print media during a cruise would be a better fit for sister cruise line Celebrity than for Royal Caribbean.

Libraries do not produce revenue so RCCL has begun phasing them out on some of its smaller ships. Rarely ever see anyone actually sitting in the library . Have seen people going to get a book and than leave.

Think it was Seranade that had comfortable chairs with individual light above. Chairs were full with people reading. I always use the library and find it is a nice place to sit and read. Sometimes there is a puzzle that various people will work at.

People have stopped reading "paper" books....they are all about their iPads and kindles, etc... I just BRING the books I like. I've never found ANY that interest me on a ship. Paperbacks are lighter than hardbacks, so I throw about 6 in my bag.

I am a poet and an author . I will not allow my writings on electronic media . I still read and buy books . No kindle or nook for me.