Hey Celebrity !!! Loud Music Does NOT Equal Younger Demographic

kitty9

[quote name='Airbalancer']string quartet, pianists, a harpist would drive me crazy!!!!
I grew up with Meatloaf, the Rolling Stones , Motown , Fleetwood Mac, ELO
The Cars, and I am 56
There is so much great music out there, play it all[/QUOTE]

We love all of the above so would be more than happy on a cruise line that had places that would suit everyone. On Celebrity I am sure that they used to have a good mix - they managed a good mix on the IOS in October with string quartets, rock nights and all the rest inbetween so it isn't rocket science !!!!

[quote name='Ma Bell']"We all want to think that [B]our opinion is the only opinion[/B] that counts, but when you are on a ship, like the Reflection, there are 2,999 other opinions out there as well and I think they deserve to be counted to, before sweephing changes are made."
[quote name='NLH Arizona']"Does every company consult their customers when they make a change. I know that Safeway didn't call me to see if it was okay to merge with Albertson. [B]A company doesn't need to a poll[/B] anyone to change anything, it is their company and they live or die by their decisions."
These are both quotes from you on this thread. [B]Which one should we believe?[/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"] Appreciate Ma Bell posting [B]BOTH of these thoughts.[/B] There is serious truth in each posting. Most companies use some varied techniques to "sample" and/or test concepts with the customers. BUT, they cannot and do not talk with everyone and get everyone's opinion on all questions. Nor, only do things where 100% of the customers know and agree in advance. [I][B]Lots of customers, lots of opinions.[/B][/I] AND, overall company policy might be in one direction, but at times some of the line employees make mistakes in not keeping sound levels and other services at a "reasonable" quality.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, [B][I]Sydney to Auckland adventure[/I][/B] on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:
[B][U][url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139[/url][/U][/B]
for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at over 40,798 views for this fun posting.

[quote name='Seapoint']There were some 70 people at the CC gathering on the Reflection, last week in February. NOT ONE OF THESE DEFENDED THE VOLUME OF THE MUSIC. Many expressed concern about the volume. There was a strong consensus it was a problem. While this is not statistical, it is indicative, and at least as good as 5 or 6 focus groups.

To the point made by Host Andy and others, there were not complaints in the past when the music was at more reasonable volume. Why not go back to that baseline? :confused:[/QUOTE]

70 people out of 3000 is not even close to a focus group, especially when you are all Cruise Critics. That would be a group of associates complaining about a perceived problem. A focus group would have no knowledge of a prior discussion or problem.

It's really a fairly simple premise. Whatever music they play should be played at a level where they don't have a lot of complaints. They managed to do it for many years. Edited by Ma Bell

[quote name='Ma Bell']It's really a fairly simple premise. Whatever music they play should be played at a level where they don't have a lot of complaints. They managed to do it for many years.[/QUOTE]

Out of around 1,000,000 cruisers per year, exactly how many would be "a lot"? Edited by ohiorob63

It's obvious that there are different opinions. Maybe it would be an idea to end this instead of questioning everybody that has different opinions? For sure it doesn't add anything new to the discussion.
Bye, bye

As many of us who sail very frequently have said, most of the time the sound levels have been fine. When there is one of the "loud" cruises, it's readily apparent to the people who are there and you hear a lot of conversation about it and there is usually a request to turn it down.

Most normal people don't complain about these kinds of things unless it's really loud. I think when a waiter can't hear you to take your order and you can't even hear a person who is right next to you, it might be too loud. I'm someone who is not a complainer but having experienced this a few times I can assure you, you will know it when you hear it. Fortunately most people haven't had to deal with it, but if it's something that is becoming a frequent situation, it's a problem

This isn't a topic that has historically been a problem, but it seems that recently, it is.

There's an old expression about "first, do no harm." The volume level should not be so loud as to harm another's enjoyment of the cruise. Low volume is not going to cause folks to complain like high volume would.

No matter what the volume is, when it disturbs others it is too loud. At a rock concert, loud music in inherent in the product Not so on a cruise ship.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl Edited by wvufan

I have not read all 17 pages, but I'm wondering if this increased music volume is mainly on the caribbean cruises and not on the traditionally older-crowd, med cruises?

Just wondering what I have to look forward to . . .

Well for first impression music level is very appropriate. That is based on reflection "pre" sail away at pool on reflection today. Music on, but almost too low!! I'm sure sail away will be louder.

And FYI (I can't remember which noise thread mentioned the reflection and the cruise director that said "get used to it"), but our cruise director this sailing is Ian cresswell (from my memory...and I've had a couple of drinks already...ok...four...that is not the same name as mentioned in the initial complaint about the cc party question)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

[quote name='irishayes']I have not read all 17 pages, but I'm wondering if this increased music volume is mainly on the caribbean cruises and not on the traditionally older-crowd, med cruises?QUOTE]

Sorry I may now be classed as one of the older crowd as I hit a big birthday last October -------------- BUT ---- I love Bon Jovi VERY loud on the way to work in the car, love Status Quo, love ACDC, basically I love loud rock music.

BUT I also like quiet, classical music / groups when I want to chill out.

In effect I love all types of music.

Age has nothing to do with it

PS I HATE Jazz and Michael Buble or whatever he is called ----------- that is not an age thing, just personal taste. I just can not stand crooners or jazz:eek:

[quote name='dodger1964']Well for first impression music level is very appropriate. That is based on reflection "pre" sail away at pool on reflection today. Music on, but almost too low!! I'm sure sail away will be louder.

And FYI (I can't remember which noise thread mentioned the reflection and the cruise director that said "get used to it"), but our cruise director this sailing is Ian cresswell (from my memory...and I've had a couple of drinks already...ok...four...that is not the same name as mentioned in the initial complaint about the cc party question)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

We sailed with Ian for 35 days on the Solstice last year and[U] [B]if [/B]the CD is in charge of music levels[/U] you won't have a problem.
Bon Voyage! Edited by chamima

[quote name='irishayes']I have not read all 17 pages, but I'm wondering if this increased music volume is mainly on the caribbean cruises and not on the traditionally older-crowd, med cruises?

Just wondering what I have to look forward to . . .[/QUOTE]

Well we had this problem on our Med cruise on Equinox last summer, mainly at the Martini bar, so I quess it isn't the "Caribbean" issue. We also were disappointed with the music in the main dining room, since it was not what one would expect, upbeat, techno type and somewhat loud. I was disappointed since it had been couple of years since our last Celebrity cruise and I still remembered having a quartet playing in the MDR on formal nights. So change isn't always for the better. :rolleyes:
Hoping to be able to enjoy the Martini bar on our next cruise in couple of weeks.

[quote name='dodger1964']

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app[/quote]
Alexander was the CD on the 2/22 sailing. At the end of the cruise, he said he hadn't been home in 5 months and was going home on vacation. I thought it was interesting since I thought they ha 6 month contracts.

[quote name='patty1955']Alexander was the CD on the 2/22 sailing. At the end of the cruise, he said he hadn't been home in 5 months and was going home on vacation. I thought it was interesting since I thought they ha 6 month contracts.[/quote]

[quote name='excitedofharpenden']I think 5 is right.

Phil[/quote]

When our DD was on the CD staff for Royal she signed 5 month contracts. The food service and housekeeping staff can sign for up to 7 months.

Ohiorob63.

70 out of 3000 as being indicative/directional is actually not bad, considering brands used by millions of consumers do qualitative focus groups with just a couple of hundred respondents. Naturally this should then be validated by a statistically valid quantitative survey. It would be very simple for Celebrity to do such a survey with recent cruisers on ships which have a loudness problem, such as Reflection.

[quote name='ohiorob63']70 people out of 3000 is not even close to a focus group, especially when you are all Cruise Critics. That would be a group of associates complaining about a perceived problem. A focus group would have no knowledge of a prior discussion or problem.[/QUOTE]

Why would you even suggest it would be a focus group?

Focus groups are small groups of around 10 participants with a leader and generally observers behind a one way mirror who are connected to the leader through a headset...to suggest questions or directions as the focus group meets. The participants are generally chosen...not random. A focus group is not designed or intended to be statistically meaningful....it is used for subjective input. Most focus groups are brought together because they DO have experience or a common thread of background and the leader (on behalf of the folks paying for the focus group) wants to run thoughts by them to get their opinions.

[quote name='jerseygirl3']The music in the Martini Bar on Equinox last month was so loud nobody in our group could carry on a conversation. Every night we complained. One night a "supervisor" came to speak to us and assured us the problem would be taken care of. It did; for about 15 minutes. We took turns complaining going down to Customer Relations to complain. They shrugged their shoulders and apologized. I wouldn't mind so much if it was late night. But our group of 15 friends met every single night in the martini bar before dinner. We'd gather around 7 p.m. The loud music was ridiculous! One time when I went to Customer Relations (as it was my turn to go and complain) I asked them if they were aware of all the chatter on Cruise Critic regarding this subject. They assured me they are. But no assurance they will address the problem.

Regardless, we did book the same ship/itinerary again for next February. I'm hoping by then they will rethink their decision to "appeal to a younger demographic."[/QUOTE]

We found this to be the case too, as well as in Molecular. Major turn off for us. No rebooking. Edited by MizDemeanor

[quote name='NLH Arizona']So if you owned a business, you would change a policy based on less than 1 percent of your customers?
[/quote]

Yes. I'm surprised by the implication you wouldn't.
[quote]
Question for you. How would you solve the issue so that it would be amenable to all?[/QUOTE]

I answered that in the previous post.

Just off the [B]Summit[/B], our first Celebrity cruise, and can happily report that music volume was never an issue for us.

Always able to converse with each other and new friends.

Didn't really like the music at the Martini bar, sort of new age funk (not techno) and was the same every night. Not my cup of tea but as the Martini's were, we headed back every night :D.

[quote name='The_Big_M']Yes. I'm surprised by the implication you wouldn't.

I answered that in the previous post.[/quote]
No, I wouldn't change a policy for just 1 percent, I have to think about the other 99 percent who haven't complained. Edited by NLH Arizona

Just off Reflection and did not encounter ANY music at "deafening" or "concert level" volumes.

DJ music was appropriately loud late at night at the Sky Lounge and of course at the Martini Bar - it's clearly part of what makes this place hop and attract a large crowd. DJ music may have been loud at times (especially if sitting near the speakers) around the pool (not my scene so we sunned ourselves on the deck above - not loud at all) but it didn't seem to drive anyone away.

Live music in the public areas (even after a week I never did quite remember if there were one or two of these spaces) whether it was top 40 by Vibes or swing by the big band (can't remember their name) was loud but certainly not ear splitting - does anyone REALLY expect this sort of music to be played softly??? Live music in the theatre was obviously loud but no louder than any similar productions I have attended off ship.

Not once did we encounter "piped music" in public areas, atrium(s), restaurants etc. at levels anywhere near obtrusive. Not once did we have to raise our voices to enjoy conversation. Not once could we not find a pleasant spot (and typically several) somewhere on the ship to enjoy relative silence (I say relative as there's always some bozo who can't discern between talking and shouting). Not once were we unable to find a bar which was unsuitable for quiet conversation.

These discussions always remind me of my late MIL - a delightful woman but one with an infuriating habit of parking herself in front of one of my 4 foot high speakers at parties or large family gatherings and asking that the music be turned down. People, if you find the music too loud in one venue, why not simply move to another?

Once I've gathered my thoughts I'll be offering my review of Reflection on this board. In the meantime, I will simply say that the music on this (our first ever) cruise was a positive contribution to what was one of the most enjoyable weeks of our lives. Edited by wpgcycler