Changes to the Next Cruise Program

They may have already done this. We just got our cruise docs for our May FOS cruise, and this wording was on the Open Booking form:

"Open Booking deposit is non-refundable. Please see the Loyalty & Cruise

Sales team for the expiration policy on Open Bookings."

Edited to add: the cruise docs also had the new OBC schedule as well.

From the link provided that has the official announcement it states..........

"Open Booking deposit amounts are non-refundable. Open Bookings do not expire. For complete terms and conditions for an Open Booking, please see the Loyalty and Cruise Sales Team onboard".

From the link provided that has the official announcement it states..........

"Open Booking deposit amounts are non-refundable. Open Bookings do not expire. For complete terms and conditions for an Open Booking, please see the Loyalty and Cruise Sales Team onboard".

True, but on the form that was in the docs I downloaded this afternoon, they left themselves an opening to change the terms to include an expiration date any time they choose. Not saying they have, just that they left themselves that option. Also, their system is already set up to put in an expiration date, since all of the NCC's currently have an "expiration" date on them.

CC accounts for a very small percentage of the cruising population. I would think TAs reserving blocks of cabins and releasing the unsold ones at final payment is a bigger problem.

Regardless of the reason for the change I'm also very unhappy :mad:

I agree on both counts (% of Cruise Critic folks) and )TA's holding large blocks of cabins). RCI has been working (slowly) on reducing the length of time TA's can bottle up inventory.

I guess maybe they think now it is time to go after the smaller fish also, be they individuals or Cruise Critic folks, who hold multiple cabins?

Ray in NH

If anything I would think this may tie up more cabins and more of the LA's time. If you can only put 1 name on a specific cruise that you book onboard people can book 3 different cruises with 1 person on each for only $300. Then later they would cancel the ones they don't need.

Or am I missing something?:rolleyes:

If anything I would think this may tie up more cabins and more of the LA's time. If you can only put 1 name on a specific cruise that you book onboard people can book 3 different cruises with 1 person on each for only $300. Then later they would cancel the ones they don't need.

Or am I missing something?:rolleyes:

You're right, they can still do that. That's why I think the main purpose of the change is to cut back on the OBC.

In the scenario you just mentioned, if someone books 3 cruises, and changes or cancels two of them, the OBC is lost (or largely reduced) on both of the changed/cancelled cruises. Before the change, you could keep moving the OBC forward by changing cruises.

You're right, they can still do that. That's why I think the main purpose of the change is to cut back on the OBC.

In the scenario you just mentioned, if someone books 3 cruises, and changes or cancels two of them, the OBC is lost (or largely reduced) on both of the changed/cancelled cruises. Before the change, you could keep moving the OBC forward by changing cruises.

That is true- But that person will at least end up with 1 cruise with the larger OBC (assuming a balcony) and still will only tie up $300.

I agree with you, I also think the purpose is to cut back on the OBC.

Edited by molly361

The Loyalty Ambassador on a recent cruise talked us into booking conflicting cruises. We went to her with the intention of canceling Independence and booking Freedom, instead, with a one-day difference in sail date. She convinced us to book Freedom, as well as keeping Independence, so we could make up our minds later. :confused:

I am not convinced that RCI is as concerned about double-booking cruises as they are about not getting every penny out of onboard purchases/expenses.

The Loyalty Ambassador on a recent cruise talked us into booking conflicting cruises. We went to her with the intention of canceling Independence and booking Freedom, instead, with a one-day difference in sail date. She convinced us to book Freedom, as well as keeping Independence, so we could make up our minds later. :confused:

I am not convinced that RCI is as concerned about double-booking cruises as they are about not getting every penny out of onboard purchases/expenses.

That's what I think as well!! Ellen

I don't know if there will be more people using the LA's to get the larger OBC or if there will be less since the OBC is now linked to category type.

Edited by molly361

More Sales = Better Ratings = More Dollars

Ray in NH

More Sales = Better Ratings = More Dollars

Ray in NH

I agree, 100%. But I doubt she would have double-booked those sailings if RCI's policy was to not allow it. My point is that if this is a big issue for Royal, it should be a (relatively) simple matter to track people's bookings, and any overlapping sailings would be flagged and disallowed.:)

We use the NCC to do three things:

1) To reduce the price of deposits

2) To be able to take advantage of choosing the cruise we want when it is opened up online - immediately

3) OBC

Although we do not like seeing the OBC lowered - we also want to book as soon as the new cruises are released and pick out the cabin that we want -

So we will continue to buy NCC just for convenience and LOWERED deposit!

I agree on both counts (% of Cruise Critic folks) and )TA's holding large blocks of cabins). RCI has been working (slowly) on reducing the length of time TA's can bottle up inventory.

I guess maybe they think now it is time to go after the smaller fish also, be they individuals or Cruise Critic folks, who hold multiple cabins?

You're probably right. Much easier to take this away from us than it is to target the TAs who sell a ton of cabins. I would like to see how many cabins RCCL sells direct compared to the number sold by TAs.

Perhaps if enough people make a stink RCCL will adjust their policy. However, like I said, we are the minority of their business so I'm not going to hold my breath. :(

Edited by Finbar127

2) To be able to take advantage of choosing the cruise we want when it is opened up online - immediately

3) OBC

Although we do not like seeing the OBC lowered - we also want to book as soon as the new cruises are released and pick out the cabin that we want -

We have used NCC several times, and the reduced deposit is nice. We don't like tying up our money earlier than we need do. The OBC is nice, but not a deal breaker or a deal maker. We have the ability to get nice discounts from our C&A status.

In today's local newspaper in S. Florida, the cruise industry was talking about how they are targeting people who are new to cruising and looking for a different vacation experience.

3) OBC

Sounds like a philosophy I could live with -- Oh, wait, I already do :D

Ray in NH

3) OBC

Point well taken -- thanks for the reality check. :)

I have now exceeded my time limit for complaining about unwelcome changes. :eek::D

3) OBC

The only item that makes sense in your post is the lowered deposit, otherwise all other pints remain the same whether you use a NCC or not. I'm stilled P____d that they lowered the amount, and wonder if the old certs are grandfathered.

3) OBC

Agreed. I will miss the OBC - especially booking an interior it is nearly gone now but must remember that it is a "freebie". Other vacation options don't give anything.

Well wouldn't you know it; I was going to buy two of these on my April cruise as I loved the idea of getting OBC. Since I will only be in a inside cabin $25 really doesn't buy me a lot of anything but I do like the $100 deposit. I was so excited and now my bubble has burst.

I will subscribe to follow this thread. I knew NOTHING about this change when I took my cruise - March 8-15. I bought TWO NC Certificates (open bookings) on March 14th, our only sea day. The forms we were provided used all the OLD numbers - $100 off for a 7 day cruise. We book OV cabins, so this would represent a HUGE difference if they don't honor them at the $100 OBC amount. And as someone else said, there is NO WAY I'd have tied up $400 for a couple of years to get two $25 OBCs. Guess I'll be dropping my TA a note!

Can someone clarify something for me? I keep reading about this affecting open bookings. Does this mean that if I book a specific cruise while on board as opposed to an "open booking" that the OBC will still be as they were under the old rules?

Can someone clarify something for me? I keep reading about this affecting open bookings. Does this mean that if I book a specific cruise while on board as opposed to an "open booking" that the OBC will still be as they were under the old rules?

No it now depends on category and length of cruise . See below

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/NextCruise/14037219_Onboard_NextCruise_Flyer_2015.pdf

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next shoe to drop will be that open bookings made in the future will quietly enact an expiration date as well.:(

Princess Future Cruise Certificates expire two years from purchase, but the amount is then refunded to the purchaser's credit card. If RCI were to make them nonrefundable and place an expiration date on them, they'd be better off just killing the program, IMO.

That's what I think as well!! Ellen

I don't know if there will be more people using the LA's to get the larger OBC or if there will be less since the OBC is now linked to category type.

I don't imagine that an extra $100 or so would get people to book a higher cabin category, given the accompanying jump in prices, especially at the suite level.

We may become the people the LAs hate. One can rebook a confirmed sailing online, but cannot convert an NCC without speaking to a customer service rep (at least I haven't figured out how to do it), so, if there isn't a long line at the LA's desk, I would rather book something onboard that's as far out as possible, then convert it when a sailing I really want to take becomes available (we're waiting for early 2016 right now). It may be that the system isn't set up to convert the OBC (they only "reserve the right" to lower it). And I can cancel and get a full refund of the cruise I book onboard, too.

I don't know...

Edited by critterchick

We may become the people the LAs hate. One can rebook a confirmed sailing online, but cannot convert an NCC without speaking to a customer service rep (at least I haven't figured out how to do it), so, if there isn't a long line at the LA's desk, I would rather book something onboard that's as far out as possible, then convert it when a sailing I really want to take becomes available (we're waiting for early 2016 right now). It may be that the system isn't set up to convert the OBC (they only "reserve the right" to lower it). And I can cancel and get a full refund of the cruise I book onboard, too.

I don't know...

Under the new rules if you book something onboard with the LA, for example a 7 night balcony cabin ,you will get $100 OBC. However, under the new terms if you change the ship and sail date on that booking the OBC reverts to the open booking OBC which is $25 for 7 days regardless of category booked.

Agreed. I do not intend to spend $200 for a NCC to get a $25 OBC. That's a lot of money to spend in order to save $25. :confused:

I agree. Why tie up money for an indefinite amount of time to get 12.5% perk for it? $25 OBC is almost an insult. I'd rather keep my money mine until I decide what I want to do. The flip side of the coin is they don't have to offer anything (and no one would have any reason to buy an NCC anyways).

No benefit whatsoever for 3-4 day cruises? That's lame as well.