Update From Andy

Andy

Hi Everyone,

In case you are wondering why I'm not posting as much as usual, here's the scoop : My work schedule is incredibly busy right now (it's one of my busiest times of the year), and I'm working 18-20 hour days, and weekends too. Long work days are not unusal for me... but coupled with that, we received some very upsetting news last week. My Sister has a serious medical issue, and will be having major surgery in 2 weeks. We will not know the prognosis until after her surgery. Add it all up, and it's extremely difficult for me to post at my usual levels.

We plan to sail on Eclipse in less than 2 weeks. Unless things somehow improve, I probably will not be doing a "Live From" thread on this sailing, as I'm too tired (and stressing about my Sister) to commit to the time and effort it takes. However, I promise to post occasional updates while onboard. Of course, if My Sister's medical condition worsens, we'll probably cancel our cruise.... but my Sister, the ever loving & caring person that she is... *insisted* that we sail. So, that's the plan - but Mom & I are going with heavy & nervous hearts.

I'm confident things should return to normal by the time we return home from our cruise. Although I'm not posting as much, please be assured that I'm around, and checking all alerts sent by our wonderful community members.

Thank You for your understanding and patience.

Sincerely,

Andy

Edited by Host Andy

Andy-

Very sorry about your sister, I hope the surgery goes well and she recovers quickly, with no setbacks.

I know about long work days, am having a bunch of them myself right now. All the more reason to enjoy your cruise and not worry about posting here.

Take care.

I have greatly appreciated your postings the past year or so...I have found them very helpful. I can empathize with your emotions. My prayers and positive thoughts to your family and your sister's healthy recovery!

We were in a similar situation just prior to our longest cruise ever.. planned well over a year with friends-a15 nighter to Hawaii on the Century last October. It became clear that my 89year old father was in the beginnings of dementia this past July, and my parents insisted that we go ahead and 'enjoy' our trip. As I am an only child, I had my doubts that this was wise, but he was stable up until our trip and my 84 year old mother "absolutely under no circumstances" would hear of our cancelling the long anticipated holiday. It would have been very iffy if our travel insurance would cover our cruise....my parents both refused any type of evaluation or hospitalization other than their family doctor who was shocked when I later sent him Dad's Oct/Nov hospitalization records. During Dad's last visit in August he did not believe me when I told him to look for dementia..'he is fine' we were all told even though I had warned the doc earlier via telephone conv of quirky/scarey things that Dad would say and do. Relatives who were always friendly to me gave me the cold shoulder for months, of course the most vocal and 'closest' never even called my parents to see how they were faring. My adult children and their neighbors dropped by and helped as best as their grandparents/friends would allow. When I got home it became clear that dear dad had suddenly gotten much worse, he thought that I had died the entire 15 days,even though I spoke to him when in San Diego and Hawaii, I was an imposter!!. A week after our return, I drove the 2 of them shouting and pleading to the closest ER..now they are in a safe facility together, and Mom can "help" him as long as she insists. Was the trip worth it to me, yes and no ..I need to go back to Hawaii to enjoy it, I did relax a little when my guilt would allow. I would have had 2 very angry parents and an angry hubby if we didn't go. I did need the escape from reality for 2 weeks; it did give me some stamina for what was awaiting me at home and the long months afterwards. Next sanity break for us will be for 8 nighter in June to Bermuda and hopefully all my ducks are in a orderly row. Other than my 2 children and hubby, and one cousin(& his wife) most of have given me the cold shoulder.. family support still nonexistent and I am considered 'cold hearted'.

It sounds as if you and your sister have strong family support which is so important; she would would probably feel worse and guilty if you cancelled. Try to enjoy!

We always appreciate your contributions to this forum and look forward to hearing about your personal cruise experiences, Andy... But please, please, please do not be confused about what is important as you wend your way through so many challenges vying for your attention/leadership... Your sister's health is important, your own health/need to destress/clarity--and perhaps, your work--are important, and your mom's well-being is important... Everything else is secondary...

Wishing you only great outcomes... I'm rooting for all of you...

Sending prayers and wishing you and your sister all the best, Andy. Have a carefree cruise and know that we'll all be checking the boards for any updates on your sister and the cruise, after you return.

Appreciate so much your great work and efforts. Best wishes and prayers for you and your family.

THANKS! Enjoy your cruise and get some well-deserved rest! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 45,935 views for this fun posting.

Saying prayers for you, your sister and your family. Enjoy the relaxation and know your sister is probably going to relax vicariously through you during that time. So in a way, you'll be helping your sister. Prayers that God will guide the surgeons hands and the outcome will be great.

Hi Everyone,

In case you are wondering why I'm not posting as much as usual, here's the scoop : My work schedule is incredibly busy right now (it's one of my busiest times of the year), and I'm working 18-20 hour days, and weekends too. Long work days are not unusal for me... but coupled with that, we received some very upsetting news last week. My Sister has a serious medical issue, and will be having major surgery in 2 weeks. We will not know the prognosis until after her surgery. Add it all up, and it's extremely difficult for me to post at my usual levels.

We plan to sail on Eclipse in less than 2 weeks. Unless things somehow improve, I probably will not be doing a "Live From" thread on this sailing, as I'm too tired (and stressing about my Sister) to commit to the time and effort it takes. However, I promise to post occasional updates while onboard. Of course, if My Sister's medical condition worsens, we'll probably cancel our cruise.... but my Sister, the ever loving & caring person that she is... *insisted* that we sail. So, that's the plan - but Mom & I are going with heavy & nervous hearts.

I'm confident things should return to normal by the time we return home from our cruise. Although I'm not posting as much, please be assured that I'm around, and checking all alerts sent by our wonderful community members.

Thank You for your understanding and patience.

Sincerely,

Andy

Will say a prayer and light a candle for your Sister

Andy, it's very kind of you to think of all of us on CC when your life is filled with so many other things. We're all thinking of you and hoping that your sister is alright. Best wishes for you and yours.

Andy

Sorry to hear about your sister's health issues; we know firsthand how difficult it is for all concerned. I hope that you make the cruise...

Thanks for all the great stuff you provide for us at Cruise Critic.

Bill

Andy,

Thoughts and Prayers with you and your family ! Hope all works out for the very best.

If you do cruise...please take the time to completely relax, re-charge, and enjoy every minute with your Mom...and not worry about posting updates etc. here. We'll all feel better knowing you are taking care of yourself !!

Woody

Dear Andy,

So sorry to hear about your sister's health issues. Positive thinking will help in the time like this. 2 weeks cruise is exactly what you and your mom need to regain your mental strength.

I pray things will change for a better and hope to see you in 10 days on Eclipse.

Isabella