Everything.. ESCAPE (live 29 Oct 2015!)

A (half) peek at Bayamo's menu:

Based on the prices on the menu, it looks like Bayamo will be cheaper than Ocean Blue on the -away ships. However, I don't expect the quality or the presentation of the food to be the same.

An app, entree and dessert will cost between $25 and $40 so including the 18% gratuity and some drinks, you are looking at a dinner costing around $100.00 or more for two guests.

I wonder how popular this restaurant is going to be. Glad that we already made reservations and with the UDP only paid the $15 fee.

Is Bayamo included in dinner packages ...I am not ready to spend another 50$ on dinner but if included well of course I will try it

I like Caneysand Modernos ...was not crazy about Tepanyaki or Cucina or Bistro

Could I go back to same restaurant if not ..i have 5 meals

I'm very interested in how they'll handle the platinum dinners now that Le Bistro will be al a carte. The same goes for the CAS free dinner voucher we always get for being HOT status, use for Cagney's. Hopefully, some of the first cruisers can let us know. Curious about the Le Bistro and Cagney's menu's too.

Is Bayamo included in dinner packages ...I am not ready to spend another 50$ on dinner but if included well of course I will try it

I like Caneysand Modernos ...was not crazy about Tepanyaki or Cucina or Bistro

Could I go back to same restaurant if not ..i have 5 meals

Bayamo is not included in the ultimate dining package or the specialty dining package. UDP gets 25% off. SDP can be used and will require a 15$ upcharge.

You can repeat restaurants on the dining plans.

Bayamo is not included in the ultimate dining package or the specialty dining package. UDP gets 25% off. SDP can be used and will require a 15$ upcharge.

You can repeat restaurants on the dining plans.

Actually, if you have the UDP or SDP, you only pay the $15 upcharge. I think that the UDP used to get 25% off but that changed on October 1 and now it is only the $15 upcharge.

Based on the prices on the menu, it looks like Bayamo will be cheaper than Ocean Blue on the -away ships. However, I don't expect the quality or the presentation of the food to be the same.

An app, entree and dessert will cost between $25 and $40 so including the 18% gratuity and some drinks, you are looking at a dinner costing around $100.00 or more for two guests.

I wonder how popular this restaurant is going to be. Glad that we already made reservations and with the UDP only paid the $15 fee.

We'll pass. ;) Can't imagine it being worth it on a ship that caters to 3,000 people!

Thanks for the sneak peak at Bayamo's menu. Definitely will do once, maybe twice.

But I wonder if the NCL bean counters are considering if the value of SDP is enough to make people buy it. I'm not sure about purchasing the SDP and committing to a certain number of specialty dinners. If I'm wrong with my own bean counting, let me know.

For Bayamo -- paying a la carte, I calculate about $47 per person (for two apps, $25 entree - some are less, and one dessert and 18% gratuity). Using the SDP, the cost is $40 ($87 cost for 4-meal SDP divided by 4 meals = $22 per meal plus $15 surcharge and $3 gratuity on that). Savings = $7 per person.

For Supper Club -- people are reporting that using the SDP actually costs more if the regular price is $35 ($30 plus 18% gratuity) compared to using the SDP $40 ($22 SDP cost plus $18 surcharge).

For Moderno -- the regular cost is $24 including gratuity and using the SDP is only $2 less.

Cagneys, LeBistro, and Teppanyaki seem like the only places where there might be some savings by using the SDP.

Edited by SeaWatcher65

Thanks for the sneak peak at Bayamo's menu. Definitely will do once, maybe twice.

But I wonder if the NCL bean counters are considering if the value of SDP is enough to make people buy it. I'm not sure about purchasing the SDP and committing to a certain number of specialty dinners. If I'm wrong with my own bean counting, let me know.

For Bayamo -- paying a la carte, I calculate about $47 per person (for two apps, $25 entree - some are less, and one dessert and 18% gratuity). Using the SDP, the cost is $40 ($87 cost for 4-meal SDP divided by 4 meals = $22 per meal plus $15 surcharge and $3 gratuity on that). Savings = $7 per person.

For Supper Club -- people are reporting that using the SDP actually costs more if the regular price is $35 ($30 plus 18% gratuity) compared to using the SDP $40 ($22 SDP cost plus $18 surcharge).

For Moderno -- the regular cost is $24 including gratuity and using the SDP is only $2 less.

Cagneys, LeBistro, and Teppanyaki seem like the only places where there might be some savings by using the SDP.

Keeping this discussion focused on Escape, I think that the SDP is not a great deal especially if you are planning on going to the Supper club and Bayamo. However, there is a significant saving for those who are planning on visiting Cagney's, Le Bistro and Teppanyaki as you pointed out.

Finally, keep in mind that NCL is not really trying to save you money with the SDP, but trying to find a happy compromise between those who enjoy the UDP (no longer available) and those who only want to enjoy a couple of speciality dinners. We only eat in speciality restaurants because we like the service and consider that the quality of the food is better than in the MDR. However, once we complete our three upcoming cruises (all with UDP), we will need to evaluate our choices considering that the UDP will no longer be offered. If the SDP is offered as a booking perk for booking a suite, then we will take it, and either enjoy some nights at the MDR or allocate more funds to paying for speciality restaurants out of pocket.

Yes, her originally scheduled trials were completed. However, Escape is now on an additional set of trials, after which she will go into dry-dock to correct some issues emanating from a poor installation of her sea chests (water intakes). Some of the recent Meyer Werft ships have also experienced similar last-minute issues. This should not negatively impact her delivery date.

Actually, if you have the UDP or SDP, you only pay the $15 upcharge. I think that the UDP used to get 25% off but that changed on October 1 and now it is only the $15 upcharge.

OK. I'm going by this: http://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

Keeping this discussion focused on Escape, I think that the SDP is not a great deal especially if you are planning on going to the Supper club and Bayamo. However, there is a significant saving for those who are planning on visiting Cagney's, Le Bistro and Teppanyaki as you pointed out.

Finally, keep in mind that NCL is not really trying to save you money with the SDP, but trying to find a happy compromise between those who enjoy the UDP (no longer available) and those who only want to enjoy a couple of speciality dinners. We only eat in speciality restaurants because we like the service and consider that the quality of the food is better than in the MDR. However, once we complete our three upcoming cruises (all with UDP), we will need to evaluate our choices considering that the UDP will no longer be offered. If the SDP is offered as a booking perk for booking a suite, then we will take it, and either enjoy some nights at the MDR or allocate more funds to paying for speciality restaurants out of pocket.

I hadn't really been looking at the numbers because we got the UDP free with the booking, but there's a LOT of stuff on the Escape (and increasingly on the other ships) that does not work well with the UDP/SDP. If we were paying for the UDP/SDP I'd feel kind of ripped off by eating at the Tapas Bar and Food Republic and tobacco road, and The Supper club, the Haven Restaurant, and ESPECIALLY the Chef's Table —*which does not even have a UDP discount. Not to mention the fact that we didn't enjoy or want to eat at some of the specialties in the past.

I think I kind of like being able to choose a shorter than all-days number of restaurants and just see a little benefit from pre-paying. Actually, I had been thinking I'd pick UDP over UBP if I had to choose, but on the BA+ or BA ships, I think I'd reverse that.

Edited by Vortech

OK. I'm going by this: http://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

I hadn't really been looking at the numbers because we got the UDP free with the booking, but there's a LOT of stuff on the Escape (and increasingly on the other ships) that does not work well with the UDP/SDP. If we were paying for the UDP/SDP I'd feel kind of ripped off by eating at the Tapas Bar and Food Republic and tobacco road, and The Supper club, the Haven Restaurant, and ESPECIALLY the Chef's Table —*which does not even have a UDP discount. Not to mention the fact that we didn't enjoy or want to eat at some of the specialties in the past.

I think I kind of like being able to choose a shorter than all-days number of restaurants and just see a little benefit from pre-paying. Actually, I had been thinking I'd pick UDP over UBP if I had to choose, but on the BA+ or BA ships, I think I'd reverse that.

The haven restaurant is no charge and only for suite passengers serving breakfast, lunch and dinner

Radio Hamburg and Radio Hamburg 2 are organizing a sail-away party on the 23rd at Hamburg Landungsbrücken (BTW there is a sweepstake on both websites for one balcony cabin each for the pre inaugural on the 23rd).

The Escape is scheduled to set sail at 6:15 pm. Party starts at 6 pm. There will be fireworks at 7 pm. You can watch the sail away on Friday, 23rd on various webcams.

steamboats