Why is theater entertainment so poor?

elou

Been on Eurodam twice. I know HAL is not known for their theater entertainment, but when surveys come out, don't people complain? Also, on 7 night cruise on sea days, there is just about nothing to do inside. One arts/crafts and that was crowded. Going to try Nieuw Amsterdan in November. Would you say that it is the same as Eurodam? Thanks.

Been on Eurodam twice. I know HAL is not known for their theater entertainment, but when surveys come out, don't people complain? Also, on 7 night cruise on sea days, there is just about nothing to do inside. One arts/crafts and that was crowded. Going to try Nieuw Amsterdan in November. Would you say that it is the same as Eurodam? Thanks.

They are the same size of ship with identical deck plans and operated by the same company. Why would the Nieuw Amsterdam be any different? I suspect your enjoyment or non-enjoyment of one will transfer to the other. Based on your comments, maybe HAL is not for you.

Edited by taxmantoo

I was asking for theater entertainment and for sea day activities as well. I agree HAL is white-glove, but do miss some good shows. Since I can't be in the sun and am not a gambler, I love to be kept busy with others. Rarely, any trivia. Any idea?

I agree 100% about the quality of entertainment in the theater., in particular the production shows. We did the Eurodam last November and it has been a number of years since we had done HAL (no reason) with numerous Princess and some RC in between. The quality of the shows was definitely below either of these two lines. However, the BB King Blues Club was probably the best band we have experienced on a cruise!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Perhaps because most HAL pax can't stay awake after dinner and go to their staterooms?

:rolleyes: If you are really lucky, you, too, may live long enough to grow old. Perhaps someone else will post such a message again at that time. :D

Growing old sure beats the alternative..... for most of us.

Two of the three HAL cast shows this past Summer on the Eurodam were the most juvenille productions I have seen aboard any ship. One was acceptable, but, not worthy of a standing applause at the end. Others onboard with whom I spoke, agreed. I did make my feelings known on the end-of-cruise survey.

However, on the Westerdam this January, the HAL cast shows were quite good, different from what I have seen aboard a HAL ship. I really enjoyed them, particularly a Texas Roadhouse country-music style show that was performed.

On both ships, the individual entertainers ranged from OK to excellent. That kind of entertainment depends, I think, upon one's taste for what the performer has to offer.

I was on Zuiderdam a couple of years ago and they had a steel band. They played all types of music from classic to rock. They were on two nights and both nights there were standing ovations and both nights they had to do two encores. And the applause still continued after they had left the stage

I believe HAL does the best it can, with regards to entertainment. They've got people coming and going throughout the cruise. Sometimes the combination of entertainers could be not to your liking. I'm a little more critical of the production shows after watching talent on reality shows. What used to seem good can sometimes appear not so great!

We go to all of the shows. I don't know who are in their cabins sleeping, because most of the seats had bodies in them. In fact, we have to go early just to get a decent seat!

DW and I disagree with the premise; we just returned from a two week trans-Atlantic on the Nieuw Amsterdam, and overall we enjoyed the entertainment in the theater. I liked the magician comedian more than she did, and neither of us really cared for the flamenco dancers, but overall, we were very happy with it. Afterwards, we would go to either the BB King Club or one of the other venues. we thought the in-house band, singers and dancers were really good, too

-John

I was on Zuiderdam a couple of years ago and they had a steel band. They played all types of music from classic to rock. They were on two nights and both nights there were standing ovations and both nights they had to do two encores. And the applause still continued after they had left the stage

I remember them! Very classy act. We loved them too.

We've only been on 3 HAL cruises, thus far, but, while the shows weren't what I classify as spectacular, I'd put them in the Vegas show lounge category.

That being said, on our last cruise, the shows were better staged and the last one (Encore) was the best of all HAL shows we've seen. I think they've (HAL) changed production companies, but I could be wrong.

And, also, the HAL cats on our last cruise were best of the 3 we've see so far.

Come to New York and see a Broadway show. Of course, it will cost more than a per day fare on HAL.

^^^ Couldn't agree more! On another note ... maybe the public schools should STOP cutting their funding of music and arts programs. If kids don't get started early, how will anyone know if they have that special talent to sing and dance on a HAL ship when they get older? Not everyone can make it on The Voice or American Idol, etc. Anyone who does is probably not going to be on a cruise ship staff. Please promote Music and Arts in YOUR public school. Off my soapbox now.

Hopefully your cruise will have a BB King Blues Band aboard. They'll keep you entertained.

This.

And why is it poor? The pay a low wage to the entertainment staff who are not very talented to begin with and have no incentive to excel and improve. How do I know? My wife was a major entertainer on Broadway and we've befriended HAL entertainment staff in the past to correspond with them often years later.

HAL decided years ago to not invest in that area; for us we couldn't care as we don't cruise for shows.

:rolleyes: If you are really lucky, you, too, may live long enough to grow old. Perhaps someone else will post such a message again at that time. :D

Growing old sure beats the alternative..... for most of us.

Loved your reply. Still laughing. :D:D:D

Although I love HAL because of all the great things it offers, I have now come to expect that their entertainment program is awful. Their productions shows are the worst I have seen. I have seen many people give standing ovations to these and am often perplexed. My guess is that they are being polite. The comedians and magicians are not bad.

Still, I would not trade their cuisine, service, neptune suites, and itineraries for anyone else's. I do we wish HAL's production shows were better.

We're not big show people, probably haven't gone to more than four or five production shows in 12+ cruises. Where we have noticed a drop off in entertainment is in the other venues like the Crow's Nest. We've gone from crew bands in the early 90's to contract bands in the early 2000's to maybe a DJ today. We really miss the live bands up there. :(

Island Magic -- we thoroughly enjoyed them.

We're not big show people, probably haven't gone to more than four or five production shows in 12+ cruises. Where we have noticed a drop off in entertainment is in the other venues like the Crow's Nest. We've gone from crew bands in the early 90's to contract bands in the early 2000's to maybe a DJ today. We really miss the live bands up there. :(

On several of our cruises we have had a guitarist in the Crow's Nest.

Had the mike turned up to blast us out of there.

There are many cruise ships looking for entertainers nowadays. Maybe the pay is low but they also get room and board. Have you been backstage? I would get claustrophobia back there. Unless someone is very or insulting I will let them entertain me. They must get bored doing the same thing every cruise. My DH likes magicians and comedians and I am okay with magicians but I also like singing and dancing, not him.

I have had a good amt of seadays crossing the ocean and I found lots to do. Trivia, lectures, movies, tea, card games, arts and crafts, cooking lessons, kitchen tours and just relaxing. My problem is that some are at the same time of day. Many people get the DVDs to watch in their rooms. p.s. I enjoy staying on board in Half Moon Cay with a nice quiet ship! Each his own.