Drinks Package rises and Consumer Protection legislation.

Pushka

Actually when I booked, a UK hotel in the UK, booked and paid for in GBP, the rate I booked was listed as "Lowest Advertised Price - Prepayment Required". My email to them was "I booked the lowest priced room, and now the room sells for less than I paid for it so you have not in fact given me the lowest price on that room." I then went on to suggest rather than grant me a refund, simply change the reservation to a higher category room and I'd be satisfied. They didn't do so. Not until I arrived at the property and asked after they assigned me a room for a upgrade if they were slow that weekend. I suspect my Gold Status at Starwood had more to do with it than customer service related to the email exchange months prior.

And mind you THEY emailed ME the new ADVERTISEMENT with a price lower than what I had booked just 1 eek prior. Had they not sent the email, I'd have been completely unaware of the change.

There was a significant price difference, so much that the next higher category room was still less than what I paid, and the room I reserved was now selling straight out with no restrictions for less than the "Lowest Advertised Rate - Prepayment Required" I had booked just a week prior. Talk about bait and switch!

I still stayed at the hotel, and stayed again this year, it has a great location for me. Many more things go into my decision making process than simple pricing and specific amenities. This hotel is one of the few exceptions to my Marriott hotels at all times at all costs rule.....I find the London Marriott's not in the areas I like to stay at most of the time.

I know it sucks:(

Unless some one takes things like this to the ASA, companies get away with this because until some one complains that the advert is unfair nothing is done as the bodies responsible rely on people bringing it to their attention they do not actively look for infractions

Companies are also very good at staying just the right side of the line. I would imagine that their answer would have been "But it was the cheapest available room at the time it was booked, we never implied that it would be the cheapest price in the future"

Your cruise isn't until 6 months:confused: You can cancel anytime up to 4 days before sailing! My gosh, give it a week or so and see what happens! If your Catana Malbec has disappeared then cancel.

Only in USA. In Australia you lose deposit at any time (as much as 2 years out) and if after final payment you lose the lot. Hardly an international option.

IMO it was very clear that it was Celebrity's intent to define the Classic and Premium package by the $ limits and not a firm list of particular brands/drinks thus any "list" would always be fluid. If a drink (other than beer) is $8 or lower it was included. If not it was not included. By creating a separate catagory for wine and moving the limit to $9 it is a little more complicated, but it is an improvement.

I will admit that my experience is based on what I read for the US market and maybe not the same for the UK market?

It might be a little naive to believe that Celebrity would not increase the prices for some offerings and add and remove brands that might impact was will be included. Personally I do not believe that Baileys was ever priced at more than $8 without a tip or $9.20 with a the tip. Any attempt to use a "list" as the only criteria as to whether a drink instead of a $ limit will lead to confusion.

I do not think the change is all that unreasonable and I am not sure the impact is as significant as many are assuming or fearing.

Only in USA. In Australia you lose deposit at any time (as much as 2 years out) and if after final payment you lose the lot. Hardly an international option.

So if the poster tried to cancelled their drink package upgrade, he would not be allowed to?

I read the post to mean they canceled the drink package they purchased not their entire cruise.

Are cruise enhancements such as drink packages, specialty dinning and spa services not cancelable after they are booked in Australia? I was under the impression it was only the cruise fare itself that has restrictions such as that.

I read the post to mean they canceled the drink package they purchased not their entire cruise.

Are cruise enhancements such as drink packages, specialty dinning and spa services not cancelable after they are booked in Australia? I was under the impression it was only the cruise fare itself that has restrictions such as that.

On just cancelling the drinks package - I don't know? I thought it was the actual cruise they were talking about - got that bit wrong then. :o

I've just been into my cruise reservation and I am able to cancel if I want to so yes, it is cancellable. But if that was the tipping point to make you choose Celebrity over another cruise line if it was offered as a special enticement, then it still presents an issue.

Celebrity did provide a list of brand names in the spirits list and the beers list. So removing the majority of those brands out of the package simply due to price and not availability (scarcity) does represent a consumer issue. I can understand not releasing a list of wines due to volume of them - but then making available only one or two wines (when several were available previously) within that price category is just not on.

Edited by Pushka

On just cancelling the drinks package - I don't know? I thought it was the actual cruise they were talking about - got that bit wrong then. :o

I've just been into my cruise reservation and I am able to cancel if I want to so yes, it is cancellable. But if that was the tipping point to make you choose Celebrity over another cruise line if it was offered as a special enticement, then it still presents an issue.

Celebrity did provide a list of brand names in the spirits list and the beers list. So removing the majority of those brands out of the package simply due to price and not availability (scarcity) does represent a consumer issue. I can understand not releasing a list of wines due to volume of them - but then making available only one or two wines (when several were available previously) within that price category is just not on.

So if that is what the poster I quoted, is so concerned about, I agree with NLH Arizona that they should just cancel now and not stress about it for the next 6 months.

So if that is what the poster I quoted, is so concerned about, I agree with NLH Arizona that they should just cancel now and not stress about it for the next 6 months.

Yep, I agree too. Well, maybe not cancel straight away but wait for a month or so in the hope it is all sorted out by then. :p

Your cruise isn't until 6 months:confused: You can cancel anytime up to 4 days before sailing! My gosh, give it a week or so and see what happens! If your Catana Malbec has disappeared then cancel.

So NOT TRUE, unless you wish to forfeit everything except taxes and port fees. In the US, we must pay in full by 75-90 days before sailing depending on the line.

So NOT TRUE, unless you wish to forfeit everything except taxes and port fees. In the US, we must pay in full by 75-90 days before sailing depending on the line.

Even if you paid for the insurance you can't get a refund at the 4 day mark.

They are talking about cancelling an upgraded drink package, not a cruise.

Celebrity, I had upgraded to premium package a few months ago but I have decided to call in and cancel that upgrade and get my money back mainly because of the confusion regarding this.

Suggestion. Before making wholesale changes to something someone has already purchased (drink prices for example affect that.) My wife and I for one love the Catana Malbec and although it still looks to be in the premium package - I am unsure.

Don

OMG people! This is the post I quoted! He had decided to call and cancel his upgrade to the Premium Beverage Package Not the cruise:rolleyes:

To correct that, in Australia you don't lose the deposit at any time, including 2 years out.

You only lose the deposit within 5 months out.

Similarly after final payment you do not lose the lot.

The penalty incurred increases progressively, for example after final payment you lose 25%.

To correct that, in Australia you don't lose the deposit at any time, including 2 years out.

The penalty incurred increases progressively, for example after final payment you lose 25%.

I may be wrong but my friends in Cooly could not cancel but were able to switch their booking to another cruise. Don't know if the TA had some sort of admin charge or not

I may be wrong but my friends in Cooly could not cancel but were able to switch their booking to another cruise. Don't know if the TA had some sort of admin charge or not

Yes, a fair number of TAs (but not all) here will apply cancellation fees, and they would apply from when you book. I've heard some may allow you to transfer the booking though, so that's probably what happened.

Celebrity itself doesn't charge a cancellation fee outside 5 months though.

Is that just for Celebrity? I know I lost deposits immediately on other cruise lines well before 5 months.

IMO it was very clear that it was Celebrity's intent to define the Classic and Premium package by the $ limits and not a firm list of particular brands/drinks thus any "list" would always be fluid. If a drink (other than beer) is $8 or lower it was included. If not it was not included. By creating a separate catagory for wine and moving the limit to $9 it is a little more complicated, but it is an improvement.

I do not think the change is all that unreasonable and I am not sure the impact is as significant as many are assuming or fearing.

+1 agree completely with this. The specifics of WHAT is included will vary but it's the price point that defines the classic vs premium. And one benefit of premium is if your 'favourite' tipple has gone up in price and over the $$ allowance, you can still choose it and only pay the extra. Your choice of you do or don't, but it see that as a great choice to have. And if I choose not too sure I can find something I will like within the limits...doesn't it need to be more complicated? :confused::D

+1 agree completely with this. The specifics of WHAT is included will vary but it's the price point that defines the classic vs premium. And one benefit of premium is if your 'favourite' tipple has gone up in price and over the $$ allowance, you can still choose it and only pay the extra. Your choice of you do or don't, but it see that as a great choice to have. And if I choose not too sure I can find something I will like within the limits...doesn't it need to be more complicated? :confused::D

Except when your tipple is now priced above the premium price?

Except when your tipple is now priced above the premium price?

This is one key difference between classic and premium

with classic, not on the list pay full price.

with Premium, not in the list pay the difference.

what were the wine by the bottle discounts before , they are now classic 15% premium 20%.

I seem to recall the premium was 30% or have I imagined that.

There are still discrepancies eg. for premium

.com

In addition, you can enjoy our entire selection of Beers as well as Spirits, Cocktails and Wines by the Glass up to $13 per serving

(this is not true they charged for beers over $13 last year)

.co.uk.

In addition, you can enjoy our Beer, Spirits, Cocktails and Wines by the Glass up to $15 per serving.

There are still links to list of beverages included

premium

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beverage/package/selections.do?consumerInterestId=31

classic

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beverage/package/selections.do?consumerInterestId=30

Edited by insidecabin

On what will you base "equivalent"? Wine quality, equivalence is very subjective....even the experts don't agree.

Fair call , but its not too hard to think reasonably .

if you buy the package based on price rather than a list how do you know what drinks are included? There might be only 1 cocktail 1 spirit 1 beer only in that price bracket and you won't find out till you're on board!

With a list you know what's included and if prices rise, raise the price of the package

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Hi all

just had this sent to me by Celebrity from a social media site

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/images/Classic%20Package%20Inclusions%20-%20Seasonal%20Pricing%202014_tcm20-58906.pdf

So checked on the UK website here

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/cruise-deals/world-of-extras.aspx

original list contained 26 wines and 2 ports

new list 31 wines