Drinks Package rises and Consumer Protection legislation.

Pushka

I travel a LOT and spend lots of time in travel forums, Flyertalk was another I was heavily active in. I did months of independent research before choosing Celebrity (actually before even deciding I even wanted to try a cruise), read lots of posts in this forum, studied many other cruise lines websites and amenities, and have talked since starting cruising to many passengers on celebrity about their experiences elsewhere and why they return.

I know Carnival is not for me. I gather HAL and Cunard are a bit more stuffy and older in demographic, Royal Caribbean I kind of like, but would miss the butler in a suite. Azamara ships do not have enough passengers for me. NCL I thought I would love, but have had lots of people I trust who have sailed it tell me it's not all it's cracked up to be.

So Celebrity perfectly suits me, no need to try something else until they go well off the tracks and disappoint me, which so far, any small disappointment has been tended to with appropriate concern and resolution.

I've watched their stock prices consistently rise, which tells me they have a successful business model, that likely leads to good customer experiences, which I have found to be true.

I tell my friends it's like sailing in a Ritz Carlton on water, and firmly believe this.

And as I've stated elsewhere, I am brand loyal, taking the ups with the downs, a give-take relationship with my travel suppliers, in order to get the elite perks that truly enhance my travel experience. Bouncing around cruise lines would not let that happen.

That's how I formed my opinion.

I used to have similar thoughts, until I actually tried several other cruise lines. they are much more similar than different. I always thought Ritz Carlton to be too stodgy, much prefer Four Seasons properties.

Hi all,

As promised, we shared a list of the Classic Beverage Package as it stands today. You may have noticed that we also shared a list on Friday that was missing a few drinks (specifically Corona, Corona Light, Jack Daniel's, and Jack Daniel's Honey). We want to share information on Cruise Critic that is timely, accurate, and this isn't very simple, as things change very quickly.

Please, just because you don't see an answer right away, don't assume we don't care. The people who represent 'Celebrity Cruises' on Cruise Critic care, and Celebrity cares because they want to ensure that our guests are happy. We spend countless hours gathering information, fact checking it, and then trying to provide accurate answers that can be provided to the masses. Again, this isn't easy, as every regions varies and things do change.

As for the Premium Beverage Package, we are trying to gather a list that we can also share.

Thank you for the update. Much appreciated !

A Baileys was ordered but the barman said it was not covered on the classic package, so being to tight to pay $10.50 for it we didn't bother with the order, in their defence they were very good at telling you what was not covered on the package, they could have just given us the drink and we would have had a charge that was unexpected that we would have had to pay once we had consumed it

The drinks that we were charged for that were beers not on the package were refunded because they were a mistake and we never actually had them, they were removed immediately, there was also a charge for $4.50 from the bar in the night club, that was removed after 4 days but we never found out what that was for, what do they sell for $4.50 ?

I can't see how they are breaking any UK consumers laws, as there was always the small saying that not all drinks were guaranteed wasn't there ?

That was a terrible situation. Actually the limit was probably $9.20 and not $10.50 since it was a cocktail. The "list" obviously created a lot of confusion. No way to know for sure whether the Bailey's would have really cost more than $9.20. I just have my doubts, but obviously the harm was in the information provided to you.

Hi all,

As promised, we shared a list of the Classic Beverage Package as it stands today. You may have noticed that we also shared a list on Friday that was missing a few drinks (specifically Corona, Corona Light, Jack Daniel's, and Jack Daniel's Honey). We want to share information on Cruise Critic that is timely, accurate, and this isn't very simple, as things change very quickly.

Please, just because you don't see an answer right away, don't assume we don't care. The people who represent 'Celebrity Cruises' on Cruise Critic care, and Celebrity cares because they want to ensure that our guests are happy. We spend countless hours gathering information, fact checking it, and then trying to provide accurate answers that can be provided to the masses. Again, this isn't easy, as every regions varies and things do change.

As for the Premium Beverage Package, we are trying to gather a list that we can also share.

Thank you for composing a list. Please include the wines at the specialty restaurants that are included in the premium package. In April there was only one rose wine by the glass at Murano & Tuscan and it was very close to the limit. Can you please tell me the current price compared to the limit?

I travel a LOT and spend lots of time in travel forums, Flyertalk .....I've watched their(celebrity) stock prices consistently rise, which tells me they have a successful business model, that likely leads to good customer experiences, which I have found to be true.I tell my friends it's like sailing in a Ritz Carlton on water, and firmly believe this.And as I've stated elsewhere, I am brand loyal, taking the ups with the downs, a give-take relationship with my travel suppliers, in order to get the elite perks that truly enhance my travel experience. Bouncing around cruise lines would not let that happen.That's how I formed my opinion.[/quote

Your opinion is skewed. You are a stock owner. You have never sailed another line. We get your point.

There are few better examples of the supply and demand concept in action than in the wine industry. Need more Baileys? Make some. Need more of a particular wine? Not so easy - finite amount of those grapes and finite amount of land that produced them - oh and from year to year the quality can change. When there's not enough of what everyone wants, the price goes up. Shift happens. There are still many wines under the limit. Try them. :)

To be perefctly frank wpgcycler , as a winemaker here is Australia on the Mornington Peninsula , your post is a little patronising and condescending don't you think ? My point is not about supply and demand in the wine industry , and if it was it would not be about the commercial offerings we are speaking about. We are not talking about Screaming Eagle here.

I do understand -- " oh and from year to year the quality can change " - really ? I also appreciate there are wines under the limit and yes I have tried them on 7 previous Celebrity cruises.. Most are acceptable in my opinion . My point was that by increasing the price of some wines which makes them unavailable NOW in the Premium Package that I have purchased , we are being dudded . I enjoy the Dry Creek Zinfandel believe it or not - which seems to now require me to pay extra per glass ? ( Not exactly sure as I await the promised Premium Package List and yes I know you have told me to "chill" - I'm chilling ) I think this is not an expensive wine in the USA ? Same for the Conundrum? Not that this is an amazing wine anyway ( in my opinion) but I do like the fact that I can order it when I like and it was included in the package when I purchased. Surely there has been little price shift or a marked spike in demand for these wines forcing them to nolonger be included in the wine list available by the glass, especially given Celebrity would certainly have secured a very competitive price from the suppliers over a time frame that benefited them as all good business practice requires..They also have an enormous world-wide range to select from to construct a Premium Beverage Package that includes an exciting range of wine for all palates .The list should be longer not shorter!

If there is "bracket creep" in the wine pricing ,and Celebrity makes previously available wines unavailable for the Premium Package , then at least offer alternate replacements . I suggest The $ limit for the Premium Package must therefore too low now. Make the package more expensive if Celebrity must , but degrading the Premium concept to the point where it no longer offers true value is a mistake. Thank heavens the Napa Chandon bubbly remains inside the limit ( not the Rose version though which stings an extra $3 per glass )

Hammo,

Very interesting post,

Even as a person with a uneducated palate I can tell the difference between wines. We have a small wine merchant who helps us select wine for our home and rely on the sommelier to help us when cruising. Australian and New world wines tend to be our favourite. It is always helpful to have input from an expert. Would you be kind enough to comment on the wines included in the premium package either as it stands or when Celebrity publishes the list.

At the moment we have the Classic as a perk, we will upgrade to premium mainly for the water and the odd martini. We usually have the non alcoholic premium package and buy wine by the bottle and it would be helpful to know if we should continue with this policy.

Thank you

Hi all,

If people with inside access can't find out what's going on in a timely manor and "things change very quickly" how on earth are the customers supposed to know what they are purchasing or going to get once on board.

Cruise lines are desperate to get us to book early but cannot promise what they will deliver.

It would be fine if the products were getting better as time went on so you buy early and are sure of better product come cruise day, but the current trend is cost cutting and inflating on board costs so you can be sure you will get less not more.

If people with inside access can't find out what's going on in a timely manor and "things change very quickly" how on earth are the customers supposed to know what they are purchasing or going to get once on board.

Cruise lines are desperate to get us to book early but cannot promise what they will deliver.

It would be fine if the products were getting better as time went on so you buy early and are sure of better product come cruise day, but the current trend is cost cutting and inflating on board costs so you can be sure you will get less not more.

You are so right

Hi all,

Frankly Celebrity, I'm not sure why you bother. You'll NEVER satisfy some of the penny pinchers, moaners, complainers and whiners on this board. NEVER! Most of them must have no life at all to justify the time spent complaining here.:rolleyes:

Frankly Celebrity, I'm not sure why you bother. You'll NEVER satisfy some of the penny pinchers, moaners, complainers and whiners on this board. NEVER! Most of them must have no life at all to justify the time spent complaining here.:rolleyes:

Clearly Celebrity understand the issue better than others. :rolleyes:

To be perefctly frank wpgcycler , as a winemaker here is Australia on the Mornington Peninsula , your post is a little patronising and condescending don't you think ? My point is not about supply and demand in the wine industry , and if it was it would not be about the commercial offerings we are speaking about. We are not talking about Screaming Eagle here.

I do understand -- " oh and from year to year the quality can change " - really ? I also appreciate there are wines under the limit and yes I have tried them on 7 previous Celebrity cruises.. Most are acceptable in my opinion . My point was that by increasing the price of some wines which makes them unavailable NOW in the Premium Package that I have purchased , we are being dudded . I enjoy the Dry Creek Zinfandel believe it or not - which seems to now require me to pay extra per glass ? ( Not exactly sure as I await the promised Premium Package List and yes I know you have told me to "chill" - I'm chilling ) I think this is not an expensive wine in the USA ? Same for the Conundrum? Not that this is an amazing wine anyway ( in my opinion) but I do like the fact that I can order it when I like and it was included in the package when I purchased. Surely there has been little price shift or a marked spike in demand for these wines forcing them to nolonger be included in the wine list available by the glass, especially given Celebrity would certainly have secured a very competitive price from the suppliers over a time frame that benefited them as all good business practice requires..They also have an enormous world-wide range to select from to construct a Premium Beverage Package that includes an exciting range of wine for all palates .The list should be longer not shorter!

If there is "bracket creep" in the wine pricing ,and Celebrity makes previously available wines unavailable for the Premium Package , then at least offer alternate replacements . I suggest The $ limit for the Premium Package must therefore too low now. Make the package more expensive if Celebrity must , but degrading the Premium concept to the point where it no longer offers true value is a mistake. Thank heavens the Napa Chandon bubbly remains inside the limit ( not the Rose version though which stings an extra $3 per glass )

hammo-

I agree with you. We are not talking about fine wines here.

We drink mostly dry reds.

In winter 2013 we discovered (thanks to a very good sommelier ) The Catena Malbec , which was then $8.50/glass.

After our cruise I sought it out in our local wine store and was surprised to find that it sold for only $16 a bottle, which is much less expensive than the wines we usually buy.

This last February it was up to $9.50/glass but , as we had purchased the premium package, it didn't really matter to us.

From someone's recent post it is now $11.00/glass. :eek:

We will have the premium package on our next cruise so again it won't affect us but what about the people just paying by the glass?

(BTW - it's still $16 a bottle at the store so supply and demand doesn't come into play at all!)

Hi all,

Thank you for the explanation. It does clarify some things.

That said, it is surprising that head office doesn't have a central listing of what products are sourced, given liquor excluding wines is apparently part of centralised buying. And that range is the kind of information a product or marketing manager would require to determine price points.

Hi all,

Thank You for the update! I am looking forward to the list!

As you are in the industry you'll have a keen appreciation then for the need to adjust prices to make a buck - nothing to do with whether it's Grange or Bin 128 - everyone needs to make a profit be they a maker, merchant or cruise line. Whether we like it or not, the list will change from time to time - prices will rise and available selections will change. The beverage packages are based on providing beverages within a price limit - not what's on a list of inclusions. I happen to think that at the moment the selection is reasonably good - although I would prefer to see a better selection of old world wines (e.g. a basic white burgundy and a Beaujolais.) There may well be a point where I believe it's not good value, at which time I may exercise my choice not to buy the package. Perhaps you've already reached that point - the choice is yours.

Hi all,

Many thanks Celebrity,

Could I please ask again about the Cocktail list...? As a passenger put up one but have you an updated one. I like Cosmo's also Daiquris... different flavours not just one ..also Margaritias..but they do not appear to come up anywhere.? Can we still get them on the Classic Package.?

Many thanks

As you are in the industry you'll have a keen appreciation then for the need to adjust prices to make a buck - nothing to do with whether it's Grange or Bin 128 - everyone needs to make a profit be they a maker, merchant or cruise line. Whether we like it or not, the list will change from time to time - prices will rise and available selections will change. The beverage packages are based on providing beverages within a price limit - not what's on a list of inclusions. I happen to think that at the moment the selection is reasonably good - although I would prefer to see a better selection of old world wines (e.g. a basic white burgundy and a Beaujolais.) There may well be a point where I believe it's not good value, at which time I may exercise my choice not to buy the package. Perhaps you've already reached that point - the choice is yours.

This is the problem we've all been up in arms about! You don't go to the bar and ask for a $11 wine or a $7 beer! you ask for a brand, a list tells you what brands are available within your chosen package! Why can't some people not see this!:rolleyes:

hammo-

I agree with you. We are not talking about fine wines here.

We drink mostly dry reds.

In winter 2013 we discovered (thanks to a very good sommelier ) The Catena Malbec , which was then $8.50/glass.

After our cruise I sought it out in our local wine store and was surprised to find that it sold for only $16 a bottle, which is much less expensive than the wines we usually buy.

This last February it was up to $9.50/glass but , as we had purchased the premium package, it didn't really matter to us.

From someone's recent post it is now $11.00/glass. :eek:

We will have the premium package on our next cruise so again it won't affect us but what about the people just paying by the glass?

(BTW - it's still $16 a bottle at the store so supply and demand doesn't come into play at all!)

We have had great sommelier's on our last two cruises. What a difference it has made to our enjoyment of our meals. We used to pour through the drink menu and then give it our best guess or fall back on our same old choice.

Now we wine pair every meal with the help of the sommelier. He/she knows we have the Prem Pkg and makes suggestions for us to try. Claudia on the Eclipse and Alexandria on the Millennium were both knowledgeable and professional and because of them we have got out of our rut and are now finding many new wines to enjoy. I am looking forward to the list Celebrity will soon be supplying and hope to try all of them in October:D

It wasn't this one was it? http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product/catena-alta-malbec/13864750

Edited by Christine Frances

This is the problem we've all been up in arms about! You don't go to the bar and ask for a $11 wine or a $7 beer! you ask for a brand, a list tells you what brands are available within your chosen package! Why can't some people not see this!:rolleyes:

No one is telling you to ask for an $11 wine. You look at the current wine list and choose one that meets your needs. Do you seriously expect them to give you a list now and guarantee the wines will be available in 2015? 2016? Do tell me what sorcery they would employ to facilitate this. If you're not comfortable buying a package which has no guaranteed wines I suggest you don't buy the package. Isn't choice wonderful?

In the MDR, I ask for a particular wine, then advise them which package I have and ask if my selection is part of the package. Sometimes I ask the sommelier for a suggestion that falls within my package.

I then can decide to have the wine if it falls in my package, select another one that is if my 1st choice isn't or decide I really do want the particular wine I want and pay out of pocket for it, or pay the difference if I have a premium package.

Same process works at any bar on the ship.

Nothing too hard about that.

We have had great sommelier's on our last two cruises. What a difference it has made to our enjoyment of our meals. We used to pour through the drink menu and then give it our best guess or fall back on our same old choice.

Now we wine pair every meal with the help of the sommelier. He/she knows we have the Prem Pkg and makes suggestions for us to try. Claudia on the Eclipse and Alexandria on the Millennium were both knowledgeable and professional and because of them we have got out of our rut and are now finding many new wines to enjoy. I am looking forward to the list Celebrity will soon be supplying and hope to try all of them in October:D

It wasn't this one was it? http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product/catena-alta-malbec/13864750

No, this was it.

86fc87_05cfee1b732140d989483cb3d4a705d3.jpg

Sorry - the picture came out a larger than I wanted. :eek:

Not sure how to downsize. :o

No one is telling you to ask for an $11 wine. You look at the current wine list and choose one that meets your needs. Do you seriously expect them to give you a list now and guarantee the wines will be available in 2015? 2016? Do tell me what sorcery they would employ to facilitate this. If you're not comfortable buying a package which has no guaranteed wines I suggest you don't buy the package. Isn't choice wonderful?

I would rather look at a wine list before I cruise and decide my options rather than buy a package on blind faith. Same goes if sailing in 2015 or 2016, you don't have to buy a package when you book just wait till an updated list is available, you have a choice, no need for sorcery;)