Slow Sea Princess

Agreed, where the Tasman meets the Pacific causes the same issues as the Southern meeting the Tasman. either way, I would like to think the ship's engine was tested and would not imperil the safety of the passengers.:D

I've crossed the Tasman four times now on a cruise ship, it has yet to be rough. Maybe it will be when I cruise again across the Tasman sea on 20 October.

I've crossed the Tasman four times now on a cruise ship, it has yet to be rough. Maybe it will be when I cruise again across the Tasman sea on 20 October.

The big worry for the upcoming and following cruises around NZ from Brisbane is going around the bottom of NZ. Its far too early to be sailing down there. Good heavens , only a few days ago Dunedin had snow to sea level. In other years when they have tried this , the ships have been forced back up the east Coast and did not even attempt to get into Fiordland.

Perhaps its a novelty for Queenslanders to see snow?:confused:

Twas in September 2007, LA to Sydney on ye olde Regal Princess we encountered 13metre seas, bottom of south island of EnZed, had to throttle back to 8 knots and missed Fiordland. Buffet closed, lifts shut down, all outside decks closed. A thrill it was (NOT !!)

Yes, the Sea Princess may encounter the big ones. God bless all who sail on her, as HM the Queen says.

Edited by NSWP

The big worry for the upcoming and following cruises around NZ from Brisbane is going around the bottom of NZ. Its far too early to be sailing down there. Good heavens , only a few days ago Dunedin had snow to sea level. In other years when they have tried this , the ships have been forced back up the east Coast and did not even attempt to get into Fiordland.

Perhaps its a novelty for Queenslanders to see snow?:confused:

NZ can be like that in December as well, we even had snow on the Brindabellas (range around Canberra) one New Year's about 8 years ago now, sometimes there is just a cold weather front that comes through.:D

NZ can be like that in December as well, we even had snow on the Brindabellas (range around Canberra) one New Year's about 8 years ago now, sometimes there is just a cold weather front that comes through.:D

It certainly can. I remember a New Year's Day in Queenstown (NZ) when it snowed, and a Christmas in Melbourne when it snowed in the Victorian high country and temps didn't reach double digits in the city. Must admit it was nice having a fire burning on Christmas Day, made it very festive in a very different way than we usually expect in Aus/NZ.

we even had snow on the Brindabellas (range around Canberra) one New Year's about 8 years ago now, .:D

Now, MicCanberra, you have heard the Canberra urban myth that if it snows in Canberra on Christmas Day, then the government is going to fall??

Did it actually snow for Christmas, or just for New Year?

Our cruise virgin friends booked the lowest IF grade interior on this cruise & have been upgraded to O/V - O5 grade! That's up 10 grades.

Looks like there have been a lot of cancellations.

Sea Princess like nearly every cruise ship these days is Diesel-Electric drive.

SP has four 11520kw Sulzer generators that power 2 electric motors on twin shafts with 6 bladed propellers.

Repairs have been done to ONE generator that had to have a replacement crank shaft made for it in Europe.

Also one propeller shaft bearing was renewed.

Sea trials are not need as the units will be run up to speed as per the manufacturers recommendations.

Indeed.

I don't see Princess as a reckless company risking passenger's safety.

Guess you've been very lucky. It's not uncommon for even crew's constitution to be tested on those waters.

Now, MicCanberra, you have heard the Canberra urban myth that if it snows in Canberra on Christmas Day, then the government is going to fall??

Did it actually snow for Christmas, or just for New Year?

Just new year, but the government at that time has now been and gone.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

This has just been sent out to all the passengers who are going on the Sea Princess on the 29th / 30th September 2014:

SEA PRINCESS UPDATE:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

As you know, Sea Princess has been in repair at the Garden Island dry-dock in Sydney for the past several days. Work has continued on the complex repair project and over the past 48 hours it has become clear that the work will be more complicated than originally thought, causing additional undetermined delays. At this time we cannot confirm with certainty when Sea Princess will be ready to sail. In an abundance of caution, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the cruise. In recognition of this extraordinary circumstance, all guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, pre- and post-cruise packages, air costs, and taxes, fees, and port expenses. Each guest will also receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage. Reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses will also be considered. We will also work with our guests who have begun their travels to secure homeward arrangements. Please know that we share in your disappointment and deeply appreciate your patience and understanding of these circumstances.

Edited by Kiwi_cruiser

This has just been sent out to all the passengers who are going on the Sea Princess on the 29th / 30th September 2014:

SEA PRINCESS UPDATE:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

As you know, Sea Princess has been in repair at the Garden Island dry-dock in Sydney for the past several days. Work has continued on the complex repair project and over the past 48 hours it has become clear that the work will be more complicated than originally thought, causing additional undetermined delays. At this time we cannot confirm with certainty when Sea Princess will be ready to sail. In an abundance of caution, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the cruise. In recognition of this extraordinary circumstance, all guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, pre- and post-cruise packages, air costs, and taxes, fees, and port expenses. Each guest will also receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage. Reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses will also be considered. We will also work with our guests who have begun their travels to secure homeward arrangements. Please know that we share in your disappointment and deeply appreciate your patience and understanding of these circumstances.

Hi can you tell me how you found out?.. We are on the October 13 cruise out of Brisbane. What do you think I am to expect? Right now we are on the Century in Tahiti with very scared Wifi Access. Looking forward to your reply and info.

Lydia

Hi can you tell me how you found out?.. We are on the October 13 cruise out of Brisbane. What do you think I am to expect? Right now we are on the Century in Tahiti with very scared Wifi Access. Looking forward to your reply and info.

Lydia

Hi ONCRUISEMODE

The above info was posted by a travel Agent on Facebook, plus this info was also posted on one of the Facebook roll calls for this cruise.

If you want e-mail me: kiwi_cruiser [at] ymail.com (yes ymail.com) (replace [at] with @ and take out the spaces, and I can let you know if I hear anything about the 13th October 2014 cruise. :)

Lydia

I would hope that the ship would be ready by the 13th, but we really do not know too much for now. We will try and keep this thread up to date.:D

Lydia

The people I know on this cruise received an email from their TA. :)

I was on this cancelled cruise and we received an email, sms and call from Princess. Also received a call from TA. They do make sure you are aware it is cancelled....even if they let you know at the last minute!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by stesons

I was on this cancelled cruise and we received an email, sms and call from Princess. Also received a call from TA. They do make sure you are aware it is cancelled....even if they let you know at the last minute!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry your cruise was cancelled but good to know they use as many methods as possible to communicate their message even if it comes very late.