Feet swelling

I know this isn't specific to Rci but when we've cruised with Thomson before three of our party have had really swollen feet and ankles. We're going on our first RCI cruise in August. Any tips for feet or legs swelling?

Drink lots of water. It's the food and alcohol that cause it. There's lots of added salt in the food. Also, walk as much as you can. Some people are just more prone to swelling also.

Don't let anyone tell you it's the water because it's made from sea water. ALL the minerals are removed during the process to make the water. And, they have to add some back in to meet standards.

Edited by BND

I know this isn't specific to Rci but when we've cruised with Thomson before three of our party have had really swollen feet and ankles. We're going on our first RCI cruise in August. Any tips for feet or legs swelling?

My wife has that problem. She has started drinking bottled water onboard the ship (as opposed to the tap water), and it has helped significantly.

I have to drink more bottled water on board. i walk more..mine comes from sitting more than anything. Once I have them propped up for a little while they go down but if i am sitting and watching a show ....swell swell swell...humidity doesn't help either

My wife and I both have this problem, so badly that it actually became painful. We spoke with a Doctor about it. As stated above it is usually caused by the food and the alcohol in combination with higher humidity, etc. We generally drink very little alcohol daily at home and our meals are small compared to those on a cruise. But when we cruise, we tend to drink 5 or more alcoholic drinks a day and we all know that the food onboard is high in sodium.

We found several things that seemed to work on our last cruise. First, we did increase our water intake, not bottled, just the ship's drinking water. Next we increased the amount of excercise, mostly walking. Then, at night when we went to bed, we would take the life vests from our closet and put them under the foot of the mattress. This elevated our feet while we slept. Sure enough, last cruise: Minimal Swelling.

I have problems with edema and take a diuretic daily so cruising can definitely be challenging. On the ship I take my medication of course but I also drink plenty of water, use no extra salt on my food (or margaritas :)) and walk! Take the stairs, have water between adult beverages, it all helps but probably won't keep it from happening completely.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have the same problem not just on cruises but anytime I'm in vacation in the south, happened in the Dominican and Mexico

Mexico was actually the worst for me and we did more walking there than anywhere else! I always drink lots of water too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have the same problem and only on a cruise the minute I get home it stops. I don't drink alcohol and drink the ships water , so I can only think it's the added salt they used in cooking as I don't use salt at home. I wish I could find an answer as it's not very pleasant.

During our Australia trip, we walked more then either my husband or I have in our entire life and I encountered swelling. Since we have been home it has gone down. I drink mainly ice Tea on board so should drink more water. Dr said it was normal for my age. It only happened on one foot too. ?

Minnie Mouse Syndrome -- Fat feet & hands!!

A retired doctor (passenger) on a ship with us strongly felt the humidity & heat were the big factors. The tap water and normal food were fine on ships but it was not a good idea to drink too many salt laden drinks like a Blood Mary. Said drinking more water was good -- that's why he drank Scotch & Water. :D

He also suggested walking more and sitting less. Also to elevate feet when possible.

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

My wife and I both have this problem, so badly that it actually became painful. We spoke with a Doctor about it. As stated above it is usually caused by the food and the alcohol in combination with higher humidity, etc. We generally drink very little alcohol daily at home and our meals are small compared to those on a cruise. But when we cruise, we tend to drink 5 or more alcoholic drinks a day and we all know that the food onboard is high in sodium.

We found several things that seemed to work on our last cruise. First, we did increase our water intake, not bottled, just the ship's drinking water. Next we increased the amount of excercise, mostly walking. Then, at night when we went to bed, we would take the life vests from our closet and put them under the foot of the mattress. This elevated our feet while we slept. Sure enough, last cruise: Minimal Swelling.

That's a great idea about using the life vests at the foot of the bed under the mattress to elevate your feet at night. Why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes:

After having cruised 12 times and having my feet swell on every one, I decided to make a change on the 13th. Someone on this board said it was the ship's water and I thought there was nothing much to lose if I brought on my own bottled water. I drank a minimum of the ship's water - only ice and the tea - and tried to drink as much bottle water as possible. Much to my scientist DD surprise I had NO swelling!!!! I am so glad I decided to do this - previously before dinner I would have to lay down and prop up my feet so that I could comfortably fit into my shoes, not on this sailing. I don't drink much alcohol at home or on cruises, but on this one I probably drank more than usual and exercised less (not so proud of that) :o

Hope this helps. Happy Sailing!

Edited by cruisintwinsmom

I have the same problem with water retention on cruises. A lot has to do with the heat and humidity and also the high salt content of the food. Do you order soup with dinner? Salad dressing? So many places for hidden salt. If it is a severe problem for you, you can ask for low-sodium diet.

I know that the water is distilled, but when they re-mineralize it, they must be putting back some sodium or other water retaining mineral, because I definitely notice a difference when I drink bottled water versus.

Edited by DonnaK

I have the same problem with water retention on cruises. A lot has to do with the heat and humidity and also the high salt content of the food. Do you order soup with dinner? Salad dressing? So many places for hidden salt. If it is a severe problem for you, you can ask for low-sodium diet.

I know that the water is distilled, but when they re-mineralize it, they must be putting back some sodium or other water retaining mineral, because I definitely notice a difference when I drink bottled water versus.

They put no more minerals back than your tap water at home has. There are minimums. The sodium content of the tap water onboard the ship is low. The food however is heavily salted and alcohol and humidity will make you swell too.

See this: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Cruise-Ships-Make-Fresh-Water&id=1781431

Edited by BND

Three of us on our last cruise, myself and my 2 daughters all had a terrible time with this. I take diurex with me since it happened to me a couple of cruises ago. This does help somewhat. I do believe it is a combination of many things. Especially the heat, extra salt, too much food and on and on. We did find some relief from the Diurex and did drink mostly bottled water. However, I always drink tea and coffee and they are made with ship's water. It is a small price to pay to be onboard so we live with it!

I was told that when the ships desalinate the water it only takes away the salt taste not the sodium content. Which might be the reason why so many who switched to bottled water report no problems with swelling.

Who told you that? That's not true. Read up on desalinzation (which by the way means removing salt). Read the article I posted the link to a page or so back.

Who told you that? That's not true. Read up on desalinzation (which by the way means removing salt). Read the article I posted the link to a page or so back.

On another thread a while back, another poster mentioned that there are two ways that the ship makes drinking water: desalination and reverse osmosis. Their point of view was that the RO process can leave some sodium in the water. I can't remember the reasons that the ship chooses one method over another, but it might have been cost. In other words, the more RO they use, the less expensive, but the more sodium can be left in the water.

Edited by clarea