Inside stateroom or free upgrade to a 2D obstructed view

We were in an inside stateroom on deck 7 in a good location, an upgrade is available to a 2D obstructed view balcony on deck 6, These are obstructed by the big life boats, has anybody had any experience of these stateroom and can you share your experience or photos.

Is a balcony always better than an inside

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've had no experience of an obstructed cabin but there is a 50% restricted view on these. I have stayed in an inside and I didn't mind an inside at all. However if I'd been given an free balcony upgrade I'd snap their hands off. Better a 50% view with extra space on the balcony plus fresh air then much better than no view in an inside.

However you might want to consider the location of both of these cabins. One might be in a noisy or inconvenient location so look at the whole picture.

On Face value though definitely!!!

You don't say which ship you are on. That being said, if offered a free upgrade to a balcony from an inside I'd jump at it.

If it's an S-Class ship you may want to review this link to see what the obstruction might look like.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1751328&page=27

You may also want to review the S-Class cabin sticky to see if anyone has comments on some 2D cabins.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911018

We were in an inside stateroom on deck 7 in a good location, an upgrade is available to a 2D obstructed view balcony on deck 6, These are obstructed by the big life boats, has anybody had any experience of these stateroom and can you share your experience or photos.

Is a balcony always better than an inside

Without a doubt upgrade! The obstructed stateroom could be minimal. You will have light in your cabin, enjoy the balcony and water/land view. While the cabin might be the same square footage-(I think it is bigger actually) it will surely appear bigger. My nephew had an obstructed cabin and really it was only obstructed if you looked down. Had a great view with that exception.

A no brainer!

Enjoy your cruise.

If you booked a inside in the location because it is where you wanted then the upgrade isn't really anything you wanted. A bargain is not a bargain if it isn't you want or need.

Cruise on 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Some people who can afford any cabin on the ship prefer an Inside. Matter of personal choice. However, I'd jump at the chance to go from an Inside to an Obstructed Balcony. I love sitting on the balcony and looking at the world pass by. Breakfast on the balcony is a treat.

We love deck 6 and book these partially obstructed balconies all the time. Honestly, if they weren't described as obstructed, I wouldn't even think about it.

Deck 6 is very convenient to where you will be in the evening and will encourage you to take the stairs more.

An inside cabin is 'obstructed' on all four walls. No way in the world would I turn this down. No matter how obstructed it is, you will see more than you would have seen before, and will have the additional balcony space to use. Just having the floor to ceiling sliding glass doors makes the room feel much larger than an inside room as well. Is this really a question?:D

Booked through uk TA, offer was 1199 for inside when we booked now it's 1199 for balcony, I phoned, I asked they said no probs. I booked. :-)

Congratulations:)

Booked through uk TA, offer was 1199 for inside when we booked now it's 1199 for balcony, I phoned, I asked they said no probs. I booked. :-)

Thanks, I didn't realise we could change cabins if we see a better price from a uk TA.

We are in a partially obstructed 2C cabin on the Eclipse (same cruise as you I believe) and were in more or less the same cabin last year on the Equinox and are very happy being on deck 6 again, as someone else mentioned, it's a good place to be for the dining rooms.

I just didn't realise we could change if we had the opportunity, so I never check prices.

Adele :)

May I ask how many days/weeks until your cruise and which destination? I have read about cabin upgrades and was curious how near/far they are offered before your cruise.

Also, how were you notified of the upgrade offer?

Edited by sue58

It wasn't an offer, I saw the same cruise and same price but it was for a balcony so I phone and politely asked could they help change my booking, only cost was admin fee.

Cruise leave in 3 months 23 days

I always watch the prices just incase, and then ask, I got money refunded once, obc on two occasions now an upgrade, I have also been refused twice.

Just ask. What's the worst that can happen

One thing you may wish to keep in mind is that, if you are on the port side, you will be above the smoking area on deck 5. If you are sensitive to smoke, this may be an issue for you. If not, you win big!!! Congratulations on your upgrade.

One thing you may wish to keep in mind is that, if you are on the port side, you will be above the smoking area on deck 5. If you are sensitive to smoke, this may be an issue for you. If not, you win big!!! Congratulations on your upgrade.

If you are on deck 9 or above no problem. We have never smelled smoke and only take port side for westbound TA

If you are on deck 9 or above no problem. We have never smelled smoke and only take port side for westbound TA

But the OP has clearly stated that they were offered a cabin on Deck 6.:confused:

First of all, when the ship is moving, the smoke will dissipate very quickly. Secondly, I have never seen a lot of people smoking on 5, more seem to be by the pool or Sunset Bar.

To the OP, you made a great choice, you will not regret it!!

Even if you are above the smoking area, just keep the sliding door closed if the smoke gets too much for you. Still much better better than an inside. At least you have a view and will undoubtedly be able to enjoy the balcony. :D

Even if you are above the smoking area, just keep the sliding door closed if the smoke gets too much for you. Still much better better than an inside. At least you have a view and will undoubtedly be able to enjoy the balcony. :D

In addition, I will not forget the problem with the Carnival ship that lost power. I do not imagine a similiar problem will happen with Celebrity, but if you recall the a/c and electric were off on that ship for days. Those people who didn't have balconies, had to sleep on deck because of the lack of air and light.