Repositioning cruise

wyobean

We are interested in taking the 39 day repositioning cruise in Sept. of 2015. Has anyone done it? What are your pros and cons? A little concerned about the 2 five day ocean stretches...looking for the good, bad and ugly! Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are interested in taking the 39 day repositioning cruise in Sept. of 2015. Has anyone done it? What are your pros and cons? A little concerned about the 2 five day ocean stretches...looking for the good, bad and ugly! Thanks

We have taken a few repositioning cruises. Usually they are less expensive than a similar cruise of that length. Not sure which one you are looking at, but here is one similar in September, 2014. The Oosterdam is repositioning from Seattle to Auckland. The 38 day cruise includes two 5-day sea stretches, before and after Hawaii. Usually the ship will have some enrichment lecturers aboard, both entertaining and interesting. Or, you can just relax at sea with some books you never have time to read on land. One of the best things about these cruises is that you only have to fly overseas for one portion of it. We have taken 3 repositionings on the Diamond Princess, either from Beijing to Vancouver or the reverse. Enjoyed all three of them. I think the sea days are great after stopping in a different port every day for a week or so. Gives you time to get to know the ship and some of the people you have met. Really can't think of any bad or ugly things about repositioning cruises.

We are also interested In this itinerary, but likely in two years. Is there much change in the itinerary, or ships

Marilyn

I have sailed repositioning cruises before and find them most enjoyable. I enjoy the days at sea and sometimes visiting ports not always on an itinerary. There are additional activities added to the daily program, such as enrichment speakers who will provide a Power Point and/or slides and videos to illustrate their talks.

One has more time to get to know the crew (and them you as well). Usually, there will be a more experienced passenger mix that also adds a different vibe to the cruise.

Pricing can be quite favorable as well.

I am looking at booking the Noordam as well.

I sailed the 28 days on the Oosterdam from Sydney to Seattle last April/May. It was a really interesting cruise, with stops at some most unusual places.

There were 5 sea days both before and after Hawaii, but they were filled (as was the rest of the cruise) with excellent lecturers on a variety of subjects.

I loved being able to add such countries as New Caledonia and Vanuatu to my list! :D There's a lot of WWII history in the whole area.

Thank you. Australia, New Zealand and other places down there are on our bucket list. We have looked at several options to explore there and this seems to be the most. economical. Glad to hear the cruise line works to make those sea days interesting.

We went from Vancouver to Auckland a few years ago - 28 days. We really enjoyed it. Another couple on the ship were continuing on the Statendam around NZ and then on to Sydney. Then they were returning on a different ship (and different line, I'm not sure which), after a few weeks in Australia. How I envied them!:D

Edited by Vict0riann

The Noordam departs from Vancouver on September 29th, 2015, for a 39 night cruise to Sydney, then to Auckland.

We have done the Trans Pacific on the Volendam three times, we love all the relaxing sea days.

The Oosterdam will not be sailing "Down under" next year.

We were on board with erewhon (Hi J.!) last year on Volendam which went from Vancouver to Sydney although we only got onboard in LA... great crossing and interesting ports as Ruth pointed out above. So much to do during sea days that one has to really carve out time to just rest and relax. One thing I love about traveling westbound is that the time changes keep adding hours to the day! m--

LOVE repo cruises! No downside at all…only positives. Love having no long flight home (or to, whichever). Love long sea days to read, enjoy talking with new friends, work on handwork I might bring, attend lectures, classes, etc. On all our long voyages we've made good friends who we've either traveled with again, or visited them (or vice versa). The long sea days allow you to really get to know them. Try it, you'll LOVE it!

Now I personally LOVE days at sea for all the reasons listed above and have had the pleasure of enjoying trans-ocean cruises on several occasions. There are downsides as have heard some people say they feel 'locked up', that they are going 'stir crazy', etc. On an trans-Atlantic / Med cruise, one gentleman flew over to meet the ship, then sailed the Med and flew home with his wife as he does not like sea days. Only you can decide what is best for you.

There is a truth about cruises with lots of sea days. Some of us absolutely love sea days and can never have too many. And others go nuts after a single sea day. DW and I have a upcoming HAL cruise where 12 of the first 14 days are sea days. I am looking forward to reading several good books and just totally relaxing.

Hank

There are several types of longer cruises to look into and for different reasoning. HAL's "Grand" cruises are usually at LEAST 50 days [ or more; the World is usually over 100 days] The thing we appreciate on these much longer cruises is they often start OR end [ or both] in the US. Flights are difficult as you age; BUT as you age/ AND retire -you often have the time/ $$$$$. Now YOU have to decide which works for you. The last post talks about having a full week of relaxing/reading being IDEAL [ That is for us too] but the BIGGEST draw for us is the exotic cruises/Grand cruises -into Asia/ Australia and points west of us and EAST of them; ANYWHERE there is wonderful/exciting/INTERESTING; but we had to discover that and we DID in 2002 when we flew to Singapore and took the second half of our first longer cruise [that was also MOSTLY English language] including Australia and if I remember -French Polynesia. it was HEAVEN and we loved that cruise.

We did find the World cruise in the mid 2000 [2007, I think?] was I think 115 days -was/FELT too long for us; we were READY for home! But that's a personal feel/personal "test".

We've been to Asia/Australia etc - 5 or 6 times and absolutely loved each one. The last was 2013; WW11 History cruise OUT of S California/BACK to S Calif. AND that was my ALLTIME favorite for the spectacular history lessons on board. We also- Thanks to the Captain -kept safe from the devestation of the Typhoon that HIT the Philippines just as we were headed to Cebu -which was canceled. [ Combining 70 year old history with TODAY!] I appreciated that HAL kept us safe. I'm thinking that cruise was 76 days but I can't remember for sure! The Amsterdam ship

This fall we are on the Nieuw Amsterdam for a SHORT B2B -Venice to Barcelona to Ft L. Florida -25 Sea days with 3 days in Venice.

You CAN find your OWN comfort-level and it may be different places/different CABINS/ different areas of the WORLD =only YOU can know what "fits". And GOOD luck! ;)

Anne in Colorado

Yes, it is the Oosterdam and it disembarks in Aucklund. We have looked at several.

Where are you seeing this cruise listed? The last cruise I see for the Oosterdam in 2015 is in September, a 7-day RT from Vancouver.

Have a look at the video links below on the Transatlantic, South Pacific & North Pacific routes....we go again on the 29 night Ryndam in October.

Just a great way to sail

Edited by Bellair
add

Where are you seeing this cruise listed? The last cruise I see for the Oosterdam in 2015 is in September, a 7-day RT from Vancouver.

We think the reference was about the Sept 2014 Oosterdam cruise which is 39 days from Vancouver to Auckland.

Hank