Anyone else have trouble proclaiming themselves "Elite"?

seaproponent

Unlike X, most cruise lines seem to classify members of their "frequent customer" clubs with easy-to-take terms like "silver, gold, platinum", "red, white, blue" etc, etc.

Try as I might, I have trouble keeping a straight face when asked by a fellow passenger, or worse yet a crew member, whether I'm "Elite". While not always the most modest person, proclaiming myself to be "Elite" seems a stretch.

But perhaps I'll get with the program with my impending promotion to the next level of free-stuff awards -- "Elitist", or whatever.

Now we have PC on cruise critic. I suppose it is the sign of the times.

Calling a frequent passenger elite is not a problem. If you used colors, you might offend someone.

Apparently you are not aware of the bennies that Elite get you on Princess. Go here to check them out.

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/jsp/memberShipBenefitsForProspect.jsp#Elite

We cruise many cruise lines and have to say that Princess does have some of the best bennies.

Sorry read that and don't agree that it is as good as the Celebrity perks, free cocktails most nights and every morning far exceed those little miniature bottles left in your stateroom. Plus the internet perk is a big $$$$ saver

There is little need for you to "get with the program" as you are not elite. You are a person, not a customer rewards program. "Elite" merely refers to a level within a customer rewards program. Let's not forget that the goal of a customer rewards program is to motivate customers to purchase more, and it certainly seems that it works.

So the next time someone asks if you are elite, just smile and remember that this person most likely has a very little sense of self.

Now we have PC on cruise critic. I suppose it is the sign of the times.

Calling a frequent passenger elite is not a problem. If you used colors, you might offend someone.

Agreement here. Every time this topic comes up the same comments appear.

I think that green for envy colours the comments of many posters who resent the perks received by any other than themselves. Witness the long thread about suite perks.

One becomes an elite cruiser not an elite person.

Celebrity and Princess both include the term in their loyalty program as do many other companies.

OP: If someone wants to know, just tell them you are a frequent cruiser, sort of. On HAL you would garner two stars (I believe), a level that shows you have barely begun to cruise.

Remember way back in the day when people who could even cruise at all were called members of the "jet set" or "caviar set"...well maybe most of you don't remember, but I do.

We have worked like crazy to become diamond on RCCL, but for nothing but the free booze and $225 discount on balconies. That's all I'm really interested in. I hate social designations as a rule. Hey, you can call me Elite, or you can call me Diamond or you can call me Sue...as long as I get my bene's!:cool::D

BTW, I detest caviar....isch!

And QE2 I just like blue diamonds!!!!! Your sig has its icons too.........

Edited by BecciBoo

Yes, I know, it's just a word but I would prefer a different word to describe this level like Silver, Level 3, Marlin or Magnificent!:D

Be careful what you wish for.

I say the writing is on the wall that X will fold into RCI's program within 2 years time.....first the alignment of membership tiers, then the addition of the hard product (i.e. suite concierge and dining).

It's coming....

When I was growing up the fanciest restaurant in our (not fancy) town was called The Elite. As kids, we had no idea what it meant, or how to pronounce it, so we called it The EEEE-light. So just tell everyone you're EEEE-light. :)

Any chance you mean Ravenna Ohio? We had a restaurant called that too, and I never even thought to call it ee-leete was always ee-lite!

Funny...

I do not think it is the title per se that bothers most people, it is the context and attitude in which it is used. For example, "I have a _____ problem, and I am an Elite, Elite+, etc. and I deserve better treatment than so & so who is not." Or "I am an Elite, Elite+, etc., and why did so & so get _____ and I did not."

I have stated it before and will again, it is the "entitlement attitude" of many cruisers that bothers many people regardless of the cruise line. This also applies to airlines, hotels, and such.

I get you earned your most of your status through loyalty, but quit trying to shove down our throats how "SPECIAL" you are.

That being said, 407 days till our 10 day Hawaii for 1st X cruise. Can not wait!!

Edited by hawk/hornfan

Better start this thread over on the Princess BB who's TOP level is Elite and where this type of thread never gets posted because nobody gives a rat's. :cool:

cc_mem_ben_elite.gif

Agree...I'm "Elite" with Princess. Only thing I care about is my FREE laundry. ..lol :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Everyone is unique, therefore we are all alike... ;)

Your right, I have sort of a 40 year aversion to this and avoid calling myself Elite. As many of you know, I was a Police Officer in NJ and attained a high rank. The union that we join from Sergeant on up is called the Superior Officers Association. Since I was promoted to Sgt. in 1973, I have always hated the name since I didn't feel I was superior to anyone. This then carried over to Celebrity when they went to the new categories. Just a thing, but I really don't like using the word unless I have to. After my next cruise I move up but the name is essentially the same.

Unlike X, most cruise lines seem to classify members of their "frequent customer" clubs with easy-to-take terms like "silver, gold, platinum", "red, white, blue" etc, etc.

Try as I might, I have trouble keeping a straight face when asked by a fellow passenger, or worse yet a crew member, whether I'm "Elite". While not always the most modest person, proclaiming myself to be "Elite" seems a stretch.

But perhaps I'll get with the program with my impending promotion to the next level of free-stuff awards -- "Elitist", or whatever.

LOL some people love it. al lthis VIP Elit and etc names)

Sorry read that and don't agree that it is as good as the Celebrity perks, free cocktails most nights and every morning far exceed those little miniature bottles left in your stateroom. Plus the internet perk is a big $$$$ saver

Apparently you did not read the perks correctly. I am not a cheerleader for Princess or Celebrity. I cruise both. Just pointing out the differences between them both in perks. Here are the main ones that far exceed Celebrities.

Complimentary Internet Credit - Each Platinum (6-15th cruise or 51-150 cruise days) /Elite (16th cuise or 151 cruise days) Princess Cruises Captain’s Circle member will receive a complimentary Internet credit to be used either on the computers in our Internet Cafés or wireless Internet on the passenger’s personal wireless device. The amount of complimentary Internet is determined by the length of the sailing.

VOYAGE MINUTES

7 days or less 150

8-20 days 250

21+ days 500

Elite - Complimentary Laundry and Professional Cleaning Services -Upon request, your stateroom steward will organize your laundry to be cleaned - compliments of Princess Cruises Captain’s Circle!

Elite - Complimentary Mini Bar Set Up - Your stateroom will receive one mini bar set up consisting of a selection of liquors, soft drinks, beer, still and sparkling water. Once onboard you may contact Room Service to change your mini-bar selection. Certain restrictions apply. Drinks will be refilled upon request and you will only be charged for the additionally requested drinks consumed

Yes, Princess does not give out free drinks nightly and only give the free Mini Bar Set up. However, if you can use the Laundry and Professional Cleaning on a cruise, that far exceeds the $ value.

Internet minutes are greater on Princess.

I just found out that a certain online travel agency uses the following levels:

Commander 1-5 cruises

Captain 6-10

Admiral 11-24

Fleet Admiral 25-49

President Elite 50+

Just imagine the ire that would raise; not merely Elite but Presidential Elite

No such thing as Ordinary Seaman... everyone starts off as a Commander.

I just found out that a certain online travel agency uses the following levels:

Commander 1-5 cruises

Captain 6-10

Admiral 11-24

Fleet Admiral 25-49

President Elite 50+

Just imagine the ire that would raise; not merely Elite but Presidential Elite

No such thing as Ordinary Seaman... everyone starts off as a Commander.

Continental for a year or so before folding into United had their top tier as Presidential Platinum Elite :D . I made that level for 2 years. I miss Continental.

I find the term pretentious. I started a similar thread awhile back and most people seemed to disagree.

To each his own. But really that statements:

"I am an Elite!"

"I am an Elite +" are a little over the top, as, I believe are listing one's status in one's signature.

I find the term pretentious. I started a similar thread awhile back and most people seemed to disagree.

To each his own. But really that statements:

"I am an Elite!"

"I am an Elite +" are a little over the top, as, I believe are listing one's status in one's signature.

Max -- I think we agree that Even if most folks are neutral on the term "elite", it might be best for X to have a designation that Neither encourages advertising the status, or being embarrassed to acknowledge it.

Hi, Ho "Silver"!

Apparently you did not read the perks correctly. I am not a cheerleader for Princess or Celebrity. I cruise both. Just pointing out the differences between them both in perks. Here are the main ones that far exceed Celebrities.

Complimentary Internet Credit - Each Platinum (6-15th cruise or 51-150 cruise days) /Elite (16th cuise or 151 cruise days) Princess Cruises Captain’s Circle member will receive a complimentary Internet credit to be used either on the computers in our Internet Cafés or wireless Internet on the passenger’s personal wireless device. The amount of complimentary Internet is determined by the length of the sailing.

VOYAGE MINUTES

7 days or less 150

8-20 days 250

21+ days 500

Elite - Complimentary Laundry and Professional Cleaning Services -Upon request, your stateroom steward will organize your laundry to be cleaned - compliments of Princess Cruises Captain’s Circle!

Elite - Complimentary Mini Bar Set Up - Your stateroom will receive one mini bar set up consisting of a selection of liquors, soft drinks, beer, still and sparkling water. Once onboard you may contact Room Service to change your mini-bar selection. Certain restrictions apply. Drinks will be refilled upon request and you will only be charged for the additionally requested drinks consumed

Yes, Princess does not give out free drinks nightly and only give the free Mini Bar Set up. However, if you can use the Laundry and Professional Cleaning on a cruise, that far exceeds the $ value.

Internet minutes are greater on Princess.

Certainly cruisers differ in what benes are of importance, but I'm guessing that most would take X and the nightly cocktails etc., over Princess and the laundry and minibar. Of course, with Elite status on X you can jump over to RC as a Diamond, and then, adding the balcony discount - no contest.