New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I have been hearing a lot about "clothes line" bacon over the last little while. While I'm sure it will appeal to many I think I will pass. I do have a bacon question though, Is there an "English" breakfast station in the Lido Market? While I don't fancy all the components of a "Full English" breakfast I do enjoy the "English style" bacon, sausage and grilled mushrooms (hold the black pudding and baked beans).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I have been hearing a lot about "clothes line" bacon over the last little while. While I'm sure it will appeal to many I think I will pass. I do have a bacon question though, Is there an "English" breakfast station in the Lido Market? While I don't fancy all the components of a "Full English" breakfast I do enjoy the "English style" bacon, sausage and grilled mushrooms (hold the black pudding and baked beans).

Yes to the Full English breakfast station in the market.  (And I pass on the clothesline bacon also.)

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes there is. 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone have a current price list for Noordam spa and extras?

I have heard you can book use of the thermal pool and heated stone lounges is a pre board package which is cheaper than on board and dont need to have a treatment

Any suggestions?

How do I know when formal nights will be?  We would like to book our specialty dining reservations before sailing, but need to avoid formal nights because we will not be packing formal wear or anything close to that. 

Also, would we be expected to dress formally to other events around the ship on formal night, or just in the dining rooms?

There are a lot of sea days on our upcoming cruise, so it's not easy to guess at when formal nights will be.

9 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

How do I know when formal nights will be?  We would like to book our specialty dining reservations before sailing, but need to avoid formal nights because we will not be packing formal wear or anything close to that. 

Also, would we be expected to dress formally to other events around the ship on formal night, or just in the dining rooms?

There are a lot of sea days on our upcoming cruise, so it's not easy to guess at when formal nights will be.

They are not formal, but dressy nights. No suits, jackets or ties required for the guys. Slacks, chinos, collared shirts. No sneakers. Dress up if you want, you may see a few tuxes. Your holiday your choice.

No need to "dress up" for other non-dining venues. Lido dress code is as it is for any other night.

There will likely be a dressy night on the first or second sea day and on the last one if it is not the last night of the cruise.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2023 at 6:28 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

We have tried the clothesline bacon over our cruise year's because my sweet husband likes bacon, but found it is never done enough, even though we ask for it really really crispy. 

Sort of like me with toast onboard - they're afraid to (almost) burn it. I will often tell them to run in through the toaster a second time, at least!

BTW - I prefer my bacon crispy too.  🙂

Tom

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 5:55 AM, islandwoman said:

No more formal nights, now called dressy night and you can dress up if that's your thing. I wear the same thing on dressy nights as any other night. That is long golf pants and a collared golf shirt or short sleeve button up shirt, like a Tommy Bahama Hawaii print shirt. my wife will wear a dress on most nights too, but neither one of us travel or cruise anymore with any formal wear. Dress to be comfortable is the norm now as long as you meet the minimum recommended dress codes.

• Like 3

Hello all, I have another easy first time question!

I mostly cruise on Princess, and enjoy getting tea in a takeaway style disposable cup with lid from their International Cafe on a daily basis. Keeps it hot and I don't spill it...

Does HAL also have takeaway cups with lids? If so, where? (If not, I'll probably bring an insulated travel mug with lid instead!)

Thank you,

Becky

On 8/15/2023 at 3:54 PM, Raisinette said:

Hello all, I have another easy first time question!

I mostly cruise on Princess, and enjoy getting tea in a takeaway style disposable cup with lid from their International Cafe on a daily basis. Keeps it hot and I don't spill it...

Does HAL also have takeaway cups with lids? If so, where? (If not, I'll probably bring an insulated travel mug with lid instead!)

Thank you,

Becky

Paper cups with lids are available only for purchased beverages in the Explorations and Grand Dutch Cafes.  Tea and hot water are available at no charge via 24/7 Room Service.

We always take a re-usable hot/cold cup with a lid.  Also, we take a reusable water bottle that we fill with ice and water before leaving the ship on excursions. It makes us feel good about taking care of the planet and also, our drinks stay hot or cold as we like 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Crew News said:

Paper cups with lids are available only for purchased beverages in the Explorations and Grand Dutch Cafes.  Tea and hot water are available at no charge via 24/7 Room Service.

We'll have the 'Have it All' deal that includes drinks - will the package cover those cups too? 

4 minutes ago, Raisinette said:

We'll have the 'Have it All' deal that includes drinks - will the package cover those cups too? 

It does indeed include those drinks with cups and lids.  Here is a link to what is included as of May 2023:  Beverage Packages Contents

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

I'm wondering about onboard currency exchange.  Our first HAL voyage is the Grand Africa visiting countries with many different currencies.  I'm hoping to be able to get some foreign currency onboard the ship and was wondering if you have to convert physical US dollars or if it can just be charged to your onboard account.  Also, any idea if there is a maximum amount?  (We have a safari scheduled where we may need $200-$300 in local currency.)

On 8/12/2023 at 7:39 PM, Kazzygirl said:

Does anyone have a current price list for Noordam spa and extras?

I have heard you can book use of the thermal pool and heated stone lounges is a pre board package which is cheaper than on board and dont need to have a treatment

Any suggestions?

Noordam thermal pool/ceramic loungers shows $149 . USD for 7 days on our current reservation screen. There are lots of other services but not in one neat sheet format to copy here. Are there specific services you're interested in?

7 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Noordam thermal pool/ceramic loungers shows $149 . USD for 7 days on our current reservation screen. There are lots of other services but not in one neat sheet format to copy here. Are there specific services you're interested in?

Ours is a 15-day sailing (well, technically it is 16 days, but HAL evidently has a problem accounting for crossing the International Date Line). The reservation system is showing $299 for a length-of-cruise spa pass.

By the way, to all HAL experts contributing on this thread: thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. My wife and I are infrequent cruise customers, doing occasional ocean crossings and only a few of the “classic” routes (Norway, Panama Canal, and Alaska), with only one HAL trip about a decade ago. This thread has been very useful in learning what to expect. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Crew News said:

It does indeed include those drinks with cups and lids.  Here is a link to what is included as of May 2023:  Beverage Packages Contents

We were surprised to learn - on Rotterdam in May- that we couldn’t upgrade from Signature to Elite once onboard.  Either way, HAL is much more reasonable with their drinks pricing than Celebrity and Royal. 

Edited by librarylady19
  • Like 1

How about what I consider pool-side drinks like Pina Coladas?  I see Virgin listed under "Quench" but not listed at all under Signature  (with alcohol).  Can we assume if the Virgin is listed, then with the alcohol  added it's OK?

Just now, mafig said:

How about what I consider pool-side drinks like Pina Coladas?  I see Virgin Collada under "Quench" but not listed at all under Signature  (with alcohol).  Can we assume if the Virgin is listed, then with the alcohol  added it's OK?

12 hours ago, Sea_Silver said:

Our first HAL voyage is the Grand Africa visiting countries with many different currencies. 

Have you joined your Roll Call? Excellent answers to questions such as these can usually be found there.

21 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

We were surprised to learn - on Rotterdam in May- that we couldn’t upgrade from Signature to Elite once onboard.

I do not feel like upgrading to the Elite package is worth it.  If I occasionally order a drink over the Signature package limit , I just pay the difference so if it $1 over the limit, I am charged $1.18 including the18% service charge.

18 minutes ago, mafig said:

How about what I consider pool-side drinks like Pina Coladas? 

Pina Coladas with alcohol are part of the Signature drink package

• Like 1