Any frequent cruisers who do not like TransAtlantics(westbound)

TomTN

We have one booked for 10-27-14 on the Equinox. We are considering one next fall on the Eclipse.

I'd like to hear from people who have tried one or more westbound TAs and do not enjoy them. Why?

Certainly ok to post positive remarks.:)

I'm really just trying to decide whether to go ahead and book the cruise next year, and cancel if we find we do not enjoy the one we age going on this year or wait to book when we return.

We have one booked for 10-27-14 on the Equinox. We are considering one next fall on the Eclipse.

I'd like to hear from people who have tried one or more westbound TAs and do not enjoy them. Why?

I'm really just trying to decide whether to go ahead and book the cruise next year, and cancel if we find we do not enjoy the one we age going on this year or wait to book when we return.

I'm not the one you want to answer since I really prefer the Westbound. Doing the Connie this November and doing the Silhouette Eastbound next April. I've been on many in both directions. Two basic reason I prefer the Westbound. First, time changes are in your favor ; Second you do the ports first and then have a relaxed crossing. This is leas san advantage if your ports are in the Caribbean, but still better than having all your ports right before disembarking. I believe you'll find more high number cruisers on the Westbound cruises and that says something. I enjoy TAs whether going East or West.

We are booked on the Silhouette 10/31/15 from Rome. A few ports in the beginning and then marvelous sea days. Convinced 2 friends to join us, too. Will be different than our Crystal Symphony westbound TA this fall but we enjoy different cruise lines just for variety.

Done 12 TAs and have 2 more booked. Probably half each way. No real preference. The time changes have no bearing on our enjoyment...23 hour days or 25 hour days 5 or 6 times in 2 weeks means nothing. We are sleeping when it happens, anyhow. :)

The only advice is if you enjoy some sun time, book port side westbound and starboard side eastbound. The sun is largely southern oriented in times of TAs (April-May, October-November).

don't like transatlantics in any direction. too many sea days in a row. not enough to do on the ship, especially if it's not pool weather. each day is exactly like the last and the next. have you seen the movie groundhog day? worth the extra airfare not to have 6-7 consecutive sea days.

don't like transatlantics in any direction. too many sea days in a row. not enough to do on the ship, especially if it's not pool weather. each day is exactly like the last and the next. have you seen the movie groundhog day? worth the extra airfare not to have 6-7 consecutive sea days.

Funny as I think it would be terrific to get up each day and walk on the upper deck and look out at the sea and feel the sun on my face. :-) I'm looking forward to one day planning a B2B including a transatlantic home. The idea of skipping the 9 hour flight home from the Med is heavenly to me. I'll take 3 hours on a flight home from Florida any day lol.

I have done 2 westbound and 1 eastbound TA cruises, all on Celebrity.

I prefer westbound due to:

1. gaining an extra hour of sleep every night (as opposed to losing). This made a big difference to my wife and I

2. When the cruise is over, you have a much shorter journey home (presumes you live in the Americas)

Before our first one, we were not sure if all those sea days might be too boring.

We found it to be great - very relaxing, and enjoyable. It may not be for everyone.

Edited by Nachosdelux

Love any TA. The only reason I prefer the east bound is because you're flying during the day rather than an overnight flight. We have done both and find that most frequent cruisers prefer the west bound.

You KNOW you want to book that 2015 Eclipse TA! :)

Another booking option you haven't mentioned: book while on board your upcoming TA, and get perks for that (OBC, reduced deposit). Or, book now and possibly get a better choice of cabin than you will in two months; then when you are on your upcoming TA, you just make a new reservation for the 2015 TA (assuming the price is still acceptable), get the book-on-board perks, and when you get home, call Celebrity and cancel the first reservation and switch that cabin to the reservation you booked on board. We did exactly that last fall for this fall's TA.

Have a great time on the Equinox crossing!

Having never done a TA, BUT booked on the Eclipse next April we are doing an Eastbound first because we're not sure about all those sea days in arrow. The Eclipse has it broken up with a two day stop in Bermuda so you only have 2 days at sea and then 4 after Bermuda. The other reason we decided to go East first is that we assume that even if we find all those sea days not to our liking we will have the anticipation of 5 wonderful ports at the end of the cruise to think about and finalize plans for....somehow I am sure we will love the cruise but we "hedged our bet" as best we could for our first!!!:):D

Have done two eastbound and one westbound and the next one is scheduled westbound.

I agree with the mess that is the westbound Ft Lauderdale port. Last year it literally took hours (customs was way more than two hours) and they started letting people off later than usual. All crew has to go through customs too, Some people didn't make their flights. Some people were pushing ahead of other people or ignoring lines completely:eek:

However, I DO like the westbound for reasons that others have stated. Arrive in Europe, get acclimated a few days prior, rested for several excursions in a row. Beats doing it the other way, landing in Europe after many long and tiring excursion days and then a few days in wherever the ship ports in Europe. Eastbound more exhausting at the end of the cruise.

I don't mind losing an hour eastbound and I actually prefer that time of year as it is often warmer and there's many more hours of daylight. If the fall, it gets dark before 5 and a few times we have reached the ship after excursions in pitch black. If I have 2 extra hours on westbound, it does nothing for me as I am always up at the same time, regardless.

I absolutely LOVE sea days and find more to do than I need to amuse myself

Edited by d4m

Can't see how anyone that REALLY likes to be onboard can not like being on a TA - day after day of cruising. I also think that its easy to fill sea days with activities if one gets out and tries some things - yes, if I sat on my balcony all day I'd get tired of sea days too.

I strongly prefer Westbound: 1. get the flight out of the way first. 2. an extra hour on many days. 3. port-intensive at the beginning of the cruise. After that, no need to set an alarm!

I'm not the one you want to answer since I really prefer the Westbound. Doing the Connie this November and doing the Silhouette Eastbound next April. I've been on many in both directions. Two basic reason I prefer the Westbound. First, time changes are in your favor ; Second you do the ports first and then have a relaxed crossing. This is leas san advantage if your ports are in the Caribbean, but still better than having all your ports right before disembarking. I believe you'll find more high number cruisers on the Westbound cruises and that says something. I enjoy TAs whether going East or West.

We'll also be on the Connie in November. This will be our seventh TA. We love the sea days, no early wakeups, no need to rush down to the dock. Our only concern is that we fly standby which can be a bit nerve wracking. I can't wait to stretch out on the veranda with my Kindle and a beer or two, gazing at the wine dark sea.

We cruised on a Westbound TA last year and we have one booked for next year. We love Sea days. Therefore I believe the decided factor is whether you really enjoy sea days. If not then do not take one. We have also found that TAs are good value based on dollars per day.

I have done 2 westbound and 1 eastbound TA cruises, all on Celebrity.

I prefer westbound due to:

1. gaining an extra hour of sleep every night (as opposed to losing). This made a big difference to my wife and I

2. When the cruise is over, you have a much shorter journey home (presumes you live in the Americas)

Before our first one, we were not sure if all those sea days might be too boring.

We found it to be great - very relaxing, and enjoyable. It may not be for everyone.

Ditto....love WB for the exact same reasons...

While I enjoyed the overall cruise, our westbound transatlantic skipped 3 ports in the British Isles. These were tendered ports; while the weather was "typical" they decided not to disembark and spent the extra days in Dublin. Since then I have been cautious about cruises with tendered ports.

If you like sea days, you'll likely like TAs :) I love westbound TAs for all the reasons people noted above. One additional reason for westbound v. eastbound - weather travels west to east, so if you start out with bad weather, it might sail with you all the way across. And that would stink.

And as someone else has mentioned, depending on the time of year (and especially if going at the early/late edges of the season), the southern transit (to/from Rome/Spain) will be significantly warmer than the northern transit (to/from England)

Biggest down side to TAs: two one-way flights.