Another line changes it's dinning program

Personalty I feel that the buffet generates a lot of waste as we all have bigger eyes then our stomach.

Great point. Celebrity had an attempt at helping with that. On Summit they started putting out small plates with single portions instead of a steam tray of the items where you served yourself. I lliked it. Actually made it easier to get to items since you could just "grab and go". from recent reviews, that seems to have stopped.

I see that P & O is ending it's buffet.:eek: Anyone think RCI will follow. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6007

This makes economic sense. Buffets waste a lot of food, and much of it is thrown out. They're also likely responsible for many of the norovirus outbreaks that have been a stain on the industry.

I'd be happy if they replaced the buffet with one or more casual venues. Food that's been sitting under a heat-lamp or sitting in a steam tray is just not very appealing. I'd rather see quality made-to-order burgers, pizza, sandwiches, salads, and other casual fare.

Maybe a Caribbean or Florida Keys inspired venue with coconut shrimp, conch fritters, jerk chicken, etc. would make it feel more like a vacation in the islands instead of lunch at Sizzler.

That will be difficult if the buffet is discontinued.

They tried that with EasyCruise where everything was charged and basically the ship was nothing more than a floating bus. Since it is no longer around, I am guessing that it won't happen on other cruise lines anytime soon

IMHO - I think all meals will be buffet soon, except for the specialty venues (which generate more profit for the cruise lines..)

QTPie :cool:

IMHO, I think that all meals will be pay venue/ala carte, in the near future.

Remember when RCCL started putting Johnny Rocket's on the ships; and they then started to charge for them because the "kids were over running the restaurants"? When they put Portofino's on the ships they only charged a minimal amount to cover "gratuities" for the staff. Now pay restaurants are starting to go north of $50.00/pp.

Edited by Hypo

As I have stated in the past and been ridiculed for!

IMOO within the next five years all complementary dining will disappear and you will pay dearly for all food eaten.

After all they have a captive cliental and its not like you can go down the street to eat somewhere else!

You can choose to not be a captive

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

IMOO within the next five years all complementary dining will disappear and you will pay dearly for all food eaten.

After all they have a captive cliental and its not like you can go down the street to eat somewhere else!

And I bet you 100.00 that wouldn't happen and you wont take my bet :D:p

Personalty I feel that the buffet generates a lot of waste as we all have bigger eyes then our stomach.

This is true but they do re-purpose where they can. For instance, this morning's left over French toast becomes this afternoon's bread pudding. Leftover fruit is cut up into a large fruit salad on the dessert station, and then further used in the morning Bircher muesli. Left over veggies are thrown into stews and pot pies.

But yes, I understand the comment. :)

And yet Dynamic Dining offers more (albeit smaller) complimentary dining options than the traditional Main Dining Room. If the food and service in those venues comes even close to matching their descriptions, there may be less reason to choose the pay restaurants.

And yet Dynamic Dining offers more (albeit smaller) complimentary dining options than the traditional Main Dining Room. If the food and service in those venues comes even close to matching their descriptions, there may be less reason to choose the pay restaurants.

It also sets them up nicely to move to all becoming "additional fee" venues.

That's a very positive way to look at it, and I hope this turns out to be the way it works in practice.:)

Sounds to me like P&O is trying to improve. The buffet is going away and being replaced by new places to eat. Nowhere does it say for an upcharge :)

I honestly would not miss the Windjammer. Especially if they replaced it with good included alternatives.

This is true but they do re-purpose where they can. For instance, this morning's left over French toast becomes this afternoon's bread pudding. Leftover fruit is cut up into a large fruit salad on the dessert station, and then further used in the morning Bircher muesli. Left over veggies are thrown into stews and pot pies.

But yes, I understand the comment. :)

Only the food that has been prepared but not yet left the kitchen can be re purposed. Once it leaves the kitchen it cannot be re used in any way other than food for the fish.

The head chef on our behind the scenes tour on the Monarch showed us the imaginary line in the galley which they referred to as the point of no return.