How come rooms not ready?

Different points of view are fine.....I am not anxious to change the way they do it....you on the other hand want it changed, and that will negatively affect ME. To me on embarkation day the ship activities are open for use, when I board the ship and I can be prepared to use them as soon as I board. That's just fine.

Now if we could keep the final morning the way it is, and have access to our cabins when we board (and I am on board usually by 11:30am) -- I am all for it. But it can't work both ways....somewhere you have to find that 90 minutes of 'worktime'.

Enjoy writing your letter as you said you would do in a previous post in this thread.

Agree completely, and I happen to agree with your viewpoint on this issue. Therefore, I've decided I'm going to ALSO write a letter in the next few days, with a pointer to this thread, just so they don't mistakenly assume that his letter is indicative of all, or even the majority, of cruisers. Different strokes for different folks, I happen to LIKE getting on at 10:30 or shortly after, and not having to be GONE from my cabin by a hard deadline of 8AM. And also like you, we don't schlep large carryons around on boarding day, we plan in advance and have small, lightweight totes only.

What I DON'T expect is to have the best of both worlds - boarding at 10:30 or a little after, and having my room ready when I board.
A perfectly reasonable statement:

You cannot expect the staff to be able to turn over the rooms in no time flat. If you want to board early, you're going to have to wait for the room. On the other hand, if you'd rather be denied boarding 'til 1:00 or so, you could be guaranteed to have your room immediately.

Like LetsGetWet, I prefer to board early, even if it means I'm stuck with my carry-on.

Another obvious option: Pack very little in your tote bag. You really only need to bring your documents, your electronics, your medications, and your jewelry. Everything else can be sent through the cabin stewards.

Another obvious option: Pack very little in your tote bag. You really only need to bring your documents, your electronics, your medications, and your jewelry. Everything else can be sent through the cabin stewards.

Like I said, it's not just about a tote bag, and the reasons are immaterial. Why must everyone try to convince me if I do things THEIR way it is the best way. If you don't want to go to your room first thing, if it were available, do not go. If you prefer being some other place, go there. Going to the room first makes my life easier in many different ways and makes for a more pleasant experience.

To me the tradeoff of being out of the room by 8AM isn't a big deal. It IS a big deal to some others. But i'm not telling them that if they just did something my way or a different way than what they do that it shouldn't really matter to them.

I've no issues with people disagreeing and / or sharing their preferences. I do get a bit irritated when people tell me I shouldn't want what I want because they don't happen to want the same thing or if I give a reason for something it is dismissed. There's a difference.

Are we on different ships? The ships I go on have people funneled to the buffet, most dragging a wheelie bag or wearing a backpack. It's chaos. I know, I know...someones got a solution, just skip lunch on the cruise and pay for an additional meal on land and show up at 2:30:D:rolleyes:

I've seen that it does not need to be chaos if more areas are provided for pax to be (cabins and MDR). Just relating my own personal experiences for others to understand the basis for my opinion.

I wasn't aware so many people were so passionate about sleeping in on the final morning. Learn new things each and every day.

Like I said, it's not just about a tote bag, and the reasons are immaterial. Why must everyone try to convince me if I do things THEIR way it is the best way. If you don't want to go to your room first thing, if it were available, do not go. If you prefer being some other place, go there. Going to the room first makes my life easier in many different ways and makes for a more pleasant experience.

To me the tradeoff of being out of the room by 8AM isn't a big deal. It IS a big deal to some others. But i'm not telling them that if they just did something my way or a different way than what they do that it shouldn't really matter to them.

I've no issues with people disagreeing and / or sharing their preferences. I do get a bit irritated when people tell me I shouldn't want what I want because they don't happen to want the same thing or if I give a reason for something it is dismissed. There's a difference.

Yes, you're absolutely correct, there IS a difference. Now, will you also admit there's a difference between stating your opinion and your preference - which is completely valid - and repeatedly maintaining, as you have in this thread - that Princess' way is BETTER and that RCI needs to step up their game to MATCH Princess and do things BETTER than they're doing it now? Its not (objectively) BETTER, its just DIFFERENT. You've repeatedly tried to convince everyone that YOUR way is "the best way" or at least definitely "a better way" when in reality, its just a different preference. So, you shouldn't really be surprised when someone objects and argues back that its NOT the best way! As you said, there IS a difference...

I wasn't aware so many people were so passionate about sleeping in on the final morning. Learn new things each and every day.

But, as has been pointed out, its not JUST sleeping in on the final morning, that's only part of it. The OTHER part is being able to board as early as 10:30 or shortly after and enjoy more time on the ship on embarkation day.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

The FTTF is hilarious. Last cruise on Carnival, everyone was jumping up and down about the FTTFs being sold out. We arrived at the terminal at 11:00 and were on the ship within 15 minutes, but had to wait until 1:00...no big deal...no FTTF, thus saved $50.

Personally, I don't need my luggage 30 minutes after I board and the ship won't leave without me. Amazing how they come up with these extra profit items.

We all value things differently. DW is an A+ personality -- vacation does not begin until we are fully unpacked. It is a perk we find has great value. We don't have to pay for it because of our loyalty status - -but we would.

As mentioned for the $50 there are other perks as well -- priority tendering is one that many find has great value -- others couldn't care less.

Carnival has no trouble at all selling all they can offer. :)

YES, as many of us have pointed out, its certainly within RCI's abililty to change IF they wanted TO SPEND MORE MONEY. And if they SPEND MORE MONEY than we will SPEND MORE MONEY for our cruises!

Again, NO YOU DON'T! Are you going to NEED the 40-50 lbs of stuff in that bag sometime in the next 2-3 hours? I really don't think so. PLAN, and CHECK the bag pierside! Carry a small, lightweight tote with the few things you'll actually need in the next 2-4 hours.

You and he think its "a decent idea" while some of the rest of us don't. That's certainly our right every bit as much as it is yours, and there's nothing wrong whatsoever with disagreeing about whether is a "decent idea" or not. Anything will come with tradeoffs, and some of us don't like the idea of the tradeoffs which would result. Nothing at all wrong with that!

You make a lot of assumptions. I generally carry on a backpack. Not hard to handle, generally not over 10 pounds. I would still prefer to not carry it with me.

I agree with you that the change would potentially add a cost to RCCL that would be passed on to us. I also agree that I would prefer to board earlier than sit in a waiting area for 30-60 minutes because all cabins are not ready.

That being said, in a perfect world, I would like to be able to go straight to my cabin and drop off my backpack before exploring the ship with my camera in one hand and a drink in the other. I still believe that OP is not off his/her rocker to suggest room access upon boarding could be possible if RCCL wished to make it so.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm one of those people too. We like getting aboard earlier, and often end up by the pool relaxing very soon, or if not maybe at one of the outdoor bars, enjoying our first drink with some eats.

As has been pointed out here by others, you generally can't board that early on Princess. So, personally I'd rather board early and go find a nice place to hang and relax - WITH my carryon bag; rather than waiting until later at the port where there's no view, no drinks, no eats and nothing to do. What I DON'T expect is to have the best of both worlds - boarding at 10:30 or a little after, and having my room ready when I board.

Love your attitude regarding this issue! And your thoughts! (Oh which coincidentally happen to be the same as mine!)...K.O...:)

Its a poor choice in your opinion. My opinion is, I am usually onboard between 10:30 and 11:00 at latest. I greatly prefer the early boarding, and would not be happy if I had to wait until almost noon or after to board so that my room is ready.

As I said earlier, I think the argument of being forced to "schlep your luggage around" is bogus. There's no good reason whatsoever to have to do that, unless you've planned poorly. Put an RCI bag tag with your cabin number on those carryons and they'll be delivered to your room just like the rest of your luggage. We plan and aren't carrying on anything more than a large handbag for DW and a small backpack of similar capacity for me. Putting a tag on your "carryon" is pretty analogous to having the hotel store your luggage until your room is ready.

If I ever run into you folks on a cruise, I'd like to buy you both an adult beverage!....K.O....:)

I think on departure day most people just want to grab breakfast and get off and onto their final destinations as efficiently as possible.

Wow, 10 pages and still going strong! LMaxwell, your profile doesn't show where you live, but, I know in the past you have said you live in the Ft Lauderdale area, if I remember correctly?

If that is still true, please be advised that those of us with flights in the afternoon are in no hurry to rush to the airport to just sit there. People who live in FL and have a short drive home may prefer getting off the ship early, but, not the rest of us.

I check my hotel when I arrive for how late is breakfast available and what time is checkout. I sleep in as late as I can after a long day of flying and check out as late as possible. I prefer to arrive later and get into my cabin to start reading all the info. I often skip the lunch the first day because I just had breakfast and don't want to deal with the crowds. If cabins aren't available, I find a place to sit and relax until they are, especially on RC because I have my 2 bottles of wine in my backpack. Happy Cruising! :)

Personally, even if I had to cart around all my luggage [and you know who's as well] but was on the ship, I'd rather that than just waiting around to embark. And we all know that's not the situation, most of it is left at check-in, so we might have a carry on bag each, together with herself a handbag and me my Camera gear.

At least I can find somewhere to sit, have a cold one, and start my holiday. If I think I'm too loaded down just sit on deck and wait till our cabin is ready and enjoy the harbour view.

Normally I have to be out of the hotel about 10:00 anyway.

Edited by GUT2407

Wow, 10 pages and still going strong! LMaxwell, your profile doesn't show where you live, but, I know in the past you have said you live in the Ft Lauderdale area, if I remember correctly?

If that is still true, please be advised that those of us with flights in the afternoon are in no hurry to rush to the airport to just sit there. People who live in FL and have a short drive home may prefer getting off the ship early, but, not the rest of us.

I check my hotel when I arrive for how late is breakfast available and what time is checkout. I sleep in as late as I can after a long day of flying and check out as late as possible. I prefer to arrive later and get into my cabin to start reading all the info. I often skip the lunch the first day because I just had breakfast and don't want to deal with the crowds. If cabins aren't available, I find a place to sit and relax until they are, especially on RC because I have my 2 bottles of wine in my backpack. Happy Cruising! :)

Even those who live in S. Florida and don't have to catch a plane (like me) are not in a rush to flee the ship. Why to head into rush hour traffic on my drive home, if it is during the week; or start the laundry so much sooner and head to do the food shopping. I can indulge just a little bit longer for breakfast.

So LMaxwell may write that "I think on departure day most people just want to grab breakfast and get off and onto their final destinations as efficiently as possible." but unless he has done some official survey, that is his conjecture -- because he isn't speaking for me in that 'most people'.

I too do not rush off the ship; I always have a sit down breakfast and cross back onto land usually by 9AM, or slightly earlier. I don't line up for the rush crowd that wants to or needs to be off first for early flights or other early travel arrangements. Nor do I lollygag around the ship until 10AM killing time.

This thread has taught me to state my preference and give no reasoning why. Too much nastiness otherwise, a la HAL forum.

Everyone has different ways they do things and different personal preferences. I've got mine, each person posting here has his or her own as well. But my opinion will remain what it is, just as I suspect many others will as well. :cool:

Majority of hotel rooms are not ready before 3:00 p.m. Hard pressed not to take your bags to lunch! Also, that would be all the bags - not just carry-on.

I was just thinking this same thing...after a little over a week of being on the road we didn't have one hotel that had rooms ready before 330 at the earliest and that was in West Yellowstone. Then its like magic....yes your room is ready! We actually were given a pager at one and it was around 430 when it went off and then our hotel in Jackson Hole called us at 355 to let us know it was ready. In Miami in July for our Duck Commander Cruise we stayed at the Hyatt and arrived right at 330 and rooms were ready in just a few minutes of checking in. Never had a room ready at lunchtime except out in vegas and only with priority status checkin and it was not the room we wished but a room that was ready and we were exhausted after being up at 3am east coast to fly.

Oh for crypes' sake. We're talking about a stinking 2 hours here.

If you prefer to vacate by 8 am or so, go for it. I prefer not to.

Your 2 hours on the front is my 2 hours on the back.

Get over yourself.

Where is the like button?

Hey Max why don't you agree to disagree and let it be. We understand what you would like. It just ain't so.

How can they "bing" you onboard if the card is at the cabin? (I just love that sound):)

I love the sound too. Truthfully, we are not sure of how things will work until the Quantum gets a few cruises under her belt, but what we understand is this:

Check in form now has a boarding appointment time and also a place to unload a picture.

The traditional check in stations will be replaced by roving check in personnel.

We will get through the check in process and on the ship in 10 minutes.

The set sail form will be used to get you on the ship (hopefully complete with the "bing")

We will head to our rooms where one sea pass card will be outside the room in an envelope. Inside the room will be the rest of the cards will be in the room. The optional wow bands will also be in the room with instructions to activate.

We can drop our bags, lock our rooms and go have lunch, DOD, or both. :)

Again, we will not really confirm this until she sails, but this is the general process and if it works, we are super excited about the process.

Mary

I know...someones got a solution, just skip lunch on the cruise and pay for an additional meal on land and show up at 2:30:D:rolleyes:

And that's what I often do. Hotel checkout is usually around 11 or noon, so...

It's less about sleeping in than "What are we going to do between 8 AM and check-in time at the hotel, or when the flight leaves?" Between FLL and MKE, there's about three direct flights per day, all on SW, and one of them would be gambling that the ship clears on time to make it, and the next one is 11:30 AM. Great... rousted out of a cabin and off the ship so someone else can have my spot with three hours of having tvs blaring news at me before the flight, undoing most of what the vacation accomplished.

Has anyone even thought of the crew that must do the turn around?

Unlike a hotel where guests know they can't access a room until 3 or 4; does anyone have a clue how hard the crew works to get cabins remade, cleaned and sanitized:confused:

We never go aboard before 12:30/1PM - to avoid those that MUST be on first, not be in a rush and have access to the cabin after 1pm. Drop our things, check dining table location then get a bite to eat.

It's vacation - relax:D

I too do not rush off the ship; I always have a sit down breakfast and cross back onto land usually by 9AM, or slightly earlier. I don't line up for the rush crowd that wants to or needs to be off first for early flights or other early travel arrangements. Nor do I lollygag around the ship until 10AM killing time.

This thread has taught me to state my preference and give no reasoning why. Too much nastiness otherwise, a la HAL forum.

Everyone has different ways they do things and different personal preferences. I've got mine, each person posting here has his or her own as well. But my opinion will remain what it is, just as I suspect many others will as well. :cool:

I do hope that in the future you do state why you have a particular preference, personally I think it helps others to understand why it is a preference.

In my opinion, the reason you got so much resistance on this thread is you stated Princess does this so much better, while the process on Royal is sub optimal. If you had simply stated hey Princess does xyz, I liked it because. ..., what do others think you probably would have gotten different responses. Maybe they would have still been no I don't have a problem with it, etc. but it might not have gotten into the mess it is. If a post is perceived pushy, you get pushy back.

For the record, I have no problem with the way it is now. I would prefer to be onboard earlier and find a place, other that the windjammer, to start enjoying my cruise. Also like the option of staying on the ship a bit later on departure day if I need. Allows for more options as I usually fly to my cruises.

oh, and to add I have boarded on a few occasions and been able to get in my cabin immediately. Was it nice, yes, but not as much of a priority to me as getting onboard early or staying in the cabin past 8.

Edited by akcruz

You have to vacate your room by 8AM on Princess final morning. On RCI you don't. That's the trade off.

So far, I've only read through page 6, but you are correct, Princess wants you out of your cabin by 8 AM. We just departed the Crown Princess yesterday, sailing in a full suite, and they still wanted us out by 8 AM. Our cabin steward said that we could stay till 8:30 or so, as he had many cabins to totally remake, but their norm as LMaxwell has pointed out, is 8 AM.

OTH, Royal allows us to stay in our cabin till 9:30, or so, again in a full suite, but it does give them less time to turn our cabin around.

Based on land cabins......ie, hotels, our normal check in time is 3 PM. I understand that hotels have less personnel to turn the rooms around for a new guest, but the guest stays vary, unlike most cruise ships.

At this point and time, unfortunately, Royal Caribbean is rather rudderless, as no one had been appointed to take Adam Goldsteins place as the President, and right now, with two different people, with different mindsets, are trying to keep Royal Caribbean running.

And, next month the Quantum is coming to her new homeport, with many innovations, including the possibility of a 10 minute check in, and your SeaPass card waiting in your cabin. I cannot believe how many "red flags" this situation has already hit my old brain!!

I'll be there next month, and get to experience what Royal Caribbean has been talking about.

Meanwhile, it's been 1 PM for cabins to open for many years, and I have accepted it, as the norm. There are many other things that I would like to see Royal Caribbean return, that have been taken away.

1 PM check in........is not one of them.;)

Rick