Rudeness and bad manners - in the eye of the beholder?

nb125

I want to be a fly on the wall when that day comes. ;)[/quote

When my DS was in high school he worked part time at a very upscale grocery store/ deli in a very tony area where a lot of celebrities and wealthy people live. It was not uncommon for some very rich and famous people to shop there .

One of the stock boys and clerk's favorites was the wife of a big big company CEO. She was young and pretty and very nice. and known to ask someone to carry one little bag to her Jaguar and tip him $20. She was also very friendly and joked and chatted with them.So she was a teenage boys hero *LOL*

My DS wasn't there long enough to know that the first wife of said big big CEO also shopped there . She wasn't as young and definately not as nice. the workers all had horror stories about her.

The day came my DS had to wait on here , not knowing who she was. I forget what the problem was , but she immediately went into her rant that she was "Mrs Jones".

DS apologized for whatever the problem was and made it right and then innocently said to her "Your daughter in law comes in here all the time. She is really nice . Tell her "Derek Jeter" (and inside with the 2nd wife ) said hello.

You could hear a pin drop in the store , until "Mrs Smith" took her groceries and left . Then he got a round of applause. teh funny thing was he didn't know what was so funny until they told him. *LOL*

I especially notice the rudeness of other peoples children...I mean, I know kids will be kids, but sometimes I just want to ask their parents if they've been raising their kid in a barn...banging on random peoples doors in the middle of the night, running up and down the halls screaming, dropping food or cups/utensils all over and not even bothering to at least pick it up and put it on a table.

:o

It's called "lazy parenting". :cool:

My pet peeve is people hogging a dance floor. Dance floors on most ships are very small and someone showing off with high kicks or flinging their arms wildly prevent others from dancing. I and my companions have observed this behavior primarily by Asians. This behavior was especially bad on the Volendam on a China-Japan cruise in March 2013.

My biggest on-board peeve is folks who force and rush unto elevators before letting out those getting off.

I've seen this plenty of times. I also got yelled at by a lady who was just standing on the elevator in "la la land" not paying attention to her floor, but got angry after I entered. If you are just standing there not paying attention, it's rude to throw a fit.

How about people running through halls? I had a kid almost kick me in the air coming around a corner, and a woman rush into me with her stroller. Are blind corners the best place for acrobats? :confused:

How about people running through halls? I had a kid almost kick me in the air coming around a corner, and a woman rush into me with her stroller. Are blind corners the best place for acrobats? :confused:

Sounds like hurdling or the high jump might be a better sport for those "events." :D

See I am a real smart ass . One of these days someone will say "Do you know who I am ?" to me and I will take their hand and compassionately say "Oh you poor thing, My Grandmother was just like this at the end . Such a cruel disease. You stay strong .......and maybe wear a name tag."

I laughed so much when I read this - love it! Would so love to be there when you do it!

Stay classy!

Has anyone noticed that as 2000 people are trying to get off the ship, there's always one schmo who's going against the grain trying to get back on?

Of course said schmo might have no choce, he may have just realized he left his passport in the safe

I laughed so much when I read this - love it! Would so love to be there when you do it!

Stay classy!

Now watch I will never get the chance to use it.

I have been a 9-1-1 dispatcher for 30 years . I have come up with some great zingers to some of the stupid questions and statements I have heard in all that time.

Of course that is my job and we are on a recorded line so its not a good idea to say them at that time.

So when I am out of work and run into these knotheads , I just let it out.

My pet peeve is people hogging a dance floor. Dance floors on most ships are very small and someone showing off with high kicks or flinging their arms wildly prevent others from dancing. I and my companions have observed this behavior primarily by Asians. This behavior was especially bad on the Volendam on a China-Japan cruise in March 2013.

Meh. They don't compare to Elaine Benes so I'm fine.

We had someone knock on our cabin door as we were staying in a Pinnacle Suite and they wanted to take a tour of the cabin. We politely declined and they insisted it would be only a few minutes. I smiled and closed the door.

I need to comment that this is probably one of the rudest things of which I have heard. Why would anyone think it was acceptable to simply barge in on someone's private cabin just because they wanted to see how it was arranged?

I think this is just another example of the "I'm entitled to whatever I want" attitude.

Scott & Karen

We had someone knock on our cabin door as we were staying in a Pinnacle Suite and they wanted to take a tour of the cabin. We politely declined and they insisted it would be only a few minutes. I smiled and closed the door.

WOW. I'm sure you were much more polite than I would have been. :eek:

On a Panana Canal cruise on the Noordam we were walking down the hall way with our table mates and we passed the Pinnacle Suite. I said that I always wanted to see inside there. Our new friend said "I can arrange that" and proceed to pull out his card and opened the door! We knew that they were in a suite, as we met in the Neptune Lounge, and made friends on the first day. That night we found that they were also our table mates!

Another couple, also table mates that we met in the Neptune Lounge, were there as well. For the next 20+ days the 3 couples were great friends, and enjoyed our company together. We had a few small parties in their suite, and I got a cabana with butler service for our visit to HMC. Geat friends, and our best cruise.

Edited by Murray's Pop

I was staying in the Pinnacle Suite and had the door ajar so that I could get a wifi signal. A lady walked right in and said to me. Oh dear, don't get up, I'll show myself around.

Needless to say, she did not show herself around.

Terri

I was staying in the Pinnacle Suite and had the door ajar so that I could get a wifi signal. A lady walked right in and said to me. Oh dear, don't get up, I'll show myself around.

Terri

I cannot believe the audacity of some people! I would never think to trespass into someone else's cabin without an invitation.

We had only moved into our house about a week, still living out of boxes. The lady down the street rings the bell, introduces herself, not even a "Welcome to the neighborhood" and asks to see our kitchen. *LOL*

The people we bought the house from had done a massive renovation only a year or so before we bought it and really did a gorgeous job. (One of the reasons we fell in love with it and bought it. I guess it was the talk of the street (only a 6 house cul de sac) This woman and the former owners didn't get along , so she was the only one on the street that didn't get to see the new renovations and it was killing her. So now she had her chance.

She actually told us this straight out.

Like I said , No "Hi Welcome to the neighborhood with a cake in hand as a guise for coming in the house .

We were younger and so excited about our new home. So we were so happy to show off the new house

But , all these years later , I always thought that was pretty ballsy too.

Some people *LOL*

We had only moved into our house about a week, still living out of boxes. The lady down the street rings the bell, introduces herself, not even a "Welcome to the neighborhood" and asks to see our kitchen. *LOL*

The people we bought the house from had done a massive renovation only a year or so before we bought it and really did a gorgeous job. (One of the reasons we fell in love with it and bought it. I guess it was the talk of the street (only a 6 house cul de sac) This woman and the former owners didn't get along , so she was the only one on the street that didn't get to see the new renovations and it was killing her. So now she had her chance.

What? The house sold before there was an open house? ;)

Terri

If that were me I would hope she was a strong swimmer...:eek:

You know Ruth I never thought of that . Obviously there was an open house that's how DW and I first saw the house . Why didn't she just pretend she was a prospective buyer and check the house out? *LOL*

She has since moved away .

She wasn't a bad person , just a nosy old thing :)

Well, about ten years ago we were selling our old house and I declined to have any open houses while it was for sale. I knew it would mostly be just a bunch of nosy neighbors who wanted to traipse through. Our agent had no problem with my request. The house sold really quickly as well. No open house necessary.

I've had the same experience with people wanting to see our suite and I have never hesitated to let them take a look. What's the harm? I probably would have liked to see one before we started booking suites. If they ask politely and seem like nice people, I think it's rude not to honor a request by a fellow passenger.

Agree. What is it with that? Is there some norm I don't know about that says to do this? It makes walking down the hall an obstacle course, especially for people with mobility issues. I think I've seen this on every ship we've ever been on. Our steward always removes any excess dishes or coffee cups we might have. Most of the time we take dishes back to the buffet if we've brought them out of there...usually just coffee cups.

When I was growing up, when staying at hotels, we were asked to put our food outside the door. I guess they thought it was easier for the staff people to pick them up in the hallway rather than having to time going into the room to coincide with the occupants being gone. Not sure, but this was a very regular thing and not only did my family do it, so did everyone else who ordered room service.

I never thought of it as being rude and I can say it was never our intention to be rude, only to comply with what we were asked to do.