Rudeness and bad manners - in the eye of the beholder?

nb125

I watched a family of 4 place towels, magazines and flip flops on deck chairs near the aft pool. 20 minutes later they were on my shore excursion which was 4 hours long. They were joking to themselves about their big caper... They were saving the deck chairs at 9am for their return at 2pm. Rude beyond belief... And worse, parent showing the teenage children that this is appropriate conduct... nOW THTS RUDE

Next time you cruise, save up your old sneakers, flip flops or other shoes. Also save some old magazines and paperback books. If you see someone "saving" chairs for hours and hours, replace their items with ones from the stash of old items you brought on board. (Put their items aside, or ideally - turn them in to lost & found. It would be both rude and improper to throw their stuff away.)

Then, grab a cold beverage and a tasty snack. Sit back. Wait for them to return. Enjoy the hilarity.

but OP was asking about what may be considered rude here, but not rude there.

Recent trip through China:

Negative: Pushing your way to the front of the line, speaking so loudly during dinner that nobody else could have a conversation, having a loud conversation in Mandarin while the cruise director was explaining disembarkation in English, surrounding the chef during a cooking show so nobody else could see what he was doing.

On the positive side: Nobody sneezed across the table in the main dining room, nobody coughed into my face in the hallway. No children ran into slow walking adults. (experienced on HAL and Princess) Elderly walked arm in arm with younger people. Women were obviously having fun and thereby lightened the general mood.

About bathrobes on American ships: I have worn mine on top of the bathing suit on my way to and from the pool. Why? The ship was air conditioned to icebox temperatures and no other piece of clothing was warm enough on top of my wet suit.

Edited by Floridiana

I don't know whether this is a cultural norm or not. I find the aggressive sales approach used in many ports in Mexico and Jamaica to be very rude. On our last cruise to Cozumel, we felt that some sales people were actually trying to separate my wife and I, which caused us to fear for our safety. Needless to say, we quickly high tailed it back to the ship.

wow - never go to the Pyramids! these vendors make the Mexican vendors seem tame. In Mexico, we have gone right back to the ship when the cab drivers would not stop hounding us even after many polite 'no thank you's' when we tried to walk into town. Due to the area conflict in 2013, we had extra security on our tour and the guy actually pulled his Uzi out from under his jacket and he approached the vendors waving it overhead at some vendors who were unbelievably obnoxious, grabbing, pushing and shoving us tourists

I do have one thing that really tops my "rude chart". First a short explanation.

I have arthritis in both knees and one ankle. I use a cane on days when the arthritis is really causing a great deal of pain and or instability. On good days, the cane is left behind, but I do walk a little slower to avoid an accidental fall. That said, people who are dependent on scooters and expect people to get out of their way so they can be someplace first are at the top of my peeve chart.

Our first cruise ever, we encountered such a person and to be honest she scared the living daylights out of me. If you didn't move fast enough, she would run the scooter up on the back of your legs, she beeped the horn constantly, and when waiting for an elevator, she would push her way to the front and try to get on the elevator even before allowing others to disembark. If you asked her to please wait while others got off, she became very loud and verbally abusive.

It doesn't matter whether or not if you are able bodied or have a disability, RUDE is RUDE. It stems from how you treat other people and unfortunately a large number of people do not know how to be kind to others. And then they wonder why they are avoided by the general public.

Anyway, that is my experience.

Okie1946

Edited by Okie1946

:eek:- I will usually say , loudly, "excuse me , people getting off here "

that will make them back off, and this coming from a very shy canadian girl,,:cool:

Hahaha good one!

What I usually say is: excuse me but this elevator is not going anywhere until I get off, perhaps you should wait before boarding?

I don't think it's been mentioned yet - folks sitting at a table in the buffet playing cards or a game - during a meal time. This particular group knew they were wrong - as we passed their table one of them said something about if it got busy they would move.

That is one of my peeves. I don't think they see themselves as being rude but rather as being entitled. But it shows such contempt for others who are looking for a table to have their meal. I do wish the staff would say something to them during the busy times.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet - folks sitting at a table in the buffet playing cards or a game - during a meal time. This particular group knew they were wrong - as we passed their table one of them said something about if it got busy they would move.

Was it busy? We often play dominoes in the lido during off hours as there are 7 - 8 of us and the game room doesn't have big enough tables. The corner table on the Oosterdam is great. We would never play in there during mealtime and often we are almost the only ones in there. Is that rude? I'm asking honestly because I didn't think it was.

Was it busy? We often play dominoes in the lido during off hours as there are 7 - 8 of us and the game room doesn't have big enough tables. The corner table on the Oosterdam is great. We would never play in there during mealtime and often we are almost the only ones in there. Is that rude? I'm asking honestly because I didn't think it was.

No, it's perfectly acceptable outside mealtimes or when staff are cleaning up.

Enjoy.

Hi

What drives me nuts.. Outside the MDR for main (late) seating.. People standing outside waiting. Here comes someone moves thought the line and enters the MDR and then comes out of MDR with staff beside him. The staff is cleaning up its 10 minutes before the door opens.. Do these people we standing in line waiting to see Santa? But I guess they think they are special and they don't have to wait like the rest of us.

Mary

The effect is called "WalMart-ization"

Some of the most polite people and their children have been from the 'class' to which you refer The worst manners I have seen is from 'very wealthy people' who want everyone to know it.

But I should not generalize and neither should anyone else.;);):rolleyes:

Edited by windsor26

I'm not sure whether this has been mentioned . . . a person sitting alone, and reading a paperback novel, at a table that would accommodate four people, during the lunch hour at the buffet!

When asked politely whether she would mind sharing her table with the two of us since there was no where else for us to sit, she refused!

Not only was she rude, she was also inconsiderate. Just my opinion.

Edited by JimAOk1945

I'm not sure whether this has been mentioned . . . a person sitting alone, and reading a paperback novel, at a table that would accommodate four people, during the lunch hour at the buffet!

When asked politely whether she would mind sharing her table with the two of us since there was no where else for us to sit, she refused!

Not only was she rude, she was also inconsiderate. Just my opinion.

You are far more accommodating than I would have been. I'd have asked if the other seats were taken, and when she said no, I'd have sat right down. It's not HER table after all. She was rude AND inconsiderate.

The rudest thing I have ever seen is people who expect everyone else to conform to their cultural standards. They seem to forget that people on board come from all sorts of cultures and backgrounds and have probably got different standards.

I really do wonder who some people think they are that everyone else has to conform to their norm.

Gut2407...... You are spot on with this comment. Not just on cruise ships either.

We sometimes look at each other in disbelief at some of the comments that we hear from other travellers. Some just don't get it that not everyone has the same ways, nor do they want the same ways. We are never quite certain if this is attributable to intolerance, arrogance, or just plain ignorance. Perhaps a combination of all three.